I need to figure out a pricing system does anyone have a good system? I am competing with a local business in my small town, but I also want to make sure I'm not losing money. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

One rule of thumb is, L+W/2.  For example:  A piece of vinyl that is 22x38.  22+38=60 then divide by 2 = 30 bucks.  This is just a guide line to get you in the ball park.  There is other things to consider.... the substrate cost (if any) the vinyl is going onto.  The cost of time to design and prep the item (some don't charge for design time) are you delivering or installing (here you just have to decide what your time is worth to you... 10 bucks an hour 20, 40 100.....)

For my substrates (shirts etc)  I usually take cost and add 35%.

a good way to double check yourself is to figure out what it actually costs you.... make sure your not charging less than that!!

If you have a project currently that your are talking about (or a recent one you did) if you post the info (size, # of colors etc)  Several people will chime in with what they would charge and you can go from there.

Thanks for clarifying that formula, I've been meaning to ask.  Following the mathematical order of operations the answer in your exampled would be $ 41 since it would be 38/2 = 19 plus 22 = 41 since multiplication is done before addition.  

If you wanted to put this formula into Excel it would be (L+W)/2 which would give you the $30

One rule of thumb is, L+W/2.  For example:  A piece of vinyl that is 22x38.  22+38=60 then divide by 2 = 30 bucks...

yes you are correct.... if you were writing it out like I did, I should have show, the  (   )  but the jist is to add the to lengths then divide that number by 2.  Some will even take that number (30 as in the example) and divide the by 2 for the install price.  So, 30+15 for 45 total if you do the install

I have a question on this one as well- I have a large text piece for a semi trailer- that they want 2 toned so I'm using 2 pieces of vinyl - one in 24" x 155" ish for the outline and then the other is 22" x 151"ish for font. One is metallic gold and one is regular oracal.
Is there an upcharge normally for specialty vinyl using this calculation method and do you charge 2x for the 2 pieces of vinyl?

I don't want to overcharge but I don't want to cheat myself either... I'm using 651 because we've had good success with it.

Tammy

I usually add 50% for second color and I also like 651 and have never had a complaint on fleet lettering. Some on here will insist that you must use cast on vehicles but most of these that we letter will either be redone in 5 or 6 years due to abuse or design changes so I can't justify the extra expense for cast and neither do my customers when given the option.

• Like 1

I price based on longest measurement at $1 an inch plus install. So for simplicity $155 first layer plus $75 second layer plus install time. The reason I don't use the other method is when pricing on the fly w/o a finished design you don't always know both dimension of the finished product so figuring off the longest measurement gives you a # when in that position.

This sounds like a pretty good method to follow.  So- I wouldn't need to look at the width so much because they are normally proportionate...?

Thank you for the help!

If you see that a design is going to be larger that the standard 22" useable off the roll the you need to consider the difference. I don't think there is a single pricing formula that works in every situation and the truth is at the end of the day you have to charge what you feel comfortable with and that comes with experience.

Im actually glad this came up about the 2 color designs. I havent really adjusted prices for this since most the stuff Ive been doing has been smaller scale. But now that Im getting larger projects it has become pretty important to profits. I was kind of figuring it would be a 50% up charge for the 2nd color, so am glad to see Jay say that (especially when we are in same region lol).

I like the idea of the 50% upcharge for 2nd color. It becomes expensive especially when buying metallic or other upcharged colors.

so- this helps with the profits. As you said- for smaller items it is not as notieable in the bottom line but for bigger projects it's a lot of cost in vinyl.

you also would want to adjust your price up it you are using more expensive vinyl other than 651.  There is no magic way to price things.... you have to use your own judgement.  the (l+w)/2 method as well as other is a basic guide line and I believe is also based on 651.  

You could always revert back to basics and decide what a decent markup is and figure your actual cost then multiply by your markup.

Or, use several methods and take the average.

Worst case, give the actual details of the job and several experienced people will be more than happy to chime in with what THEY would charge based on all facts.  That might be of more help to you on your first few quotes/jobs.

Im actually glad this came up about the 2 color designs. I havent really adjusted prices for this since most the stuff Ive been doing has been smaller scale. But now that Im getting larger projects it has become pretty important to profits. I was kind of figuring it would be a 50% up charge for the 2nd color, so am glad to see Jay say that (especially when we are in same region lol).

We'll get along fine so long as you stay in GA and leave SC alone :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I usually add 50% for second color and I also like 651 and have never had a complaint on fleet lettering. Some on here will insist that you must use cast on vehicles but most of these that we letter will either be redone in 5 or 6 years due to abuse or design changes so I can't justify the extra expense for cast and neither do my customers when given the option.

Have you had any problems with 651 when it goes through car washes or gets power washed?  Do you have any disclaimer when you install 651 about things like that???  I about always use 651 for boat lettering and decals and have never had any complaints/problems yet.  

Never had a failure related to 651. Closest I've come is where someone tried to pick off a decal in a parking lot but you can't blame the vinyl for that. There is a small amount of shrinkage over time but nobody has ever said anything to me yet so I don't worry about it.

Good to hear, I've never had any problems yet and good to hear that from you too Jay.  Is 651 the main vinyl that most of you guys use?  What times do you use 751/951???

They must of had some good fingernails picking that off in the parking lot lol.  I bet they got bored after awhile. 

Never had one get peeled more than 1/2" at the edge so pretty tough stuff.

Well for instance I am currently doing a job 17x51 single color, white and I am using the green star intermediate calendared vinyl. Is this a good quality vinyl or should I be looking into a better quality vinyl? I am fairly new and just got started 4 months ago. This current job is for on a vehicle, If I am not mistaken I think after like 5 years this vinyl tends to fade? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for all that posted it is very beneficial.

Greenstar and vehicle are 2 words I would never ever use in the same sentence. Oracal, 3M, Avery among other are good quality products. Greenstar is good to practice with but after first hand experience I wouldn't use it for anything you care about.

Well for instance I am currently doing a job 17x51 single color, white and I am using the green star intermediate calendared vinyl. Is this a good quality vinyl or should I be looking into a better quality vinyl? I am fairly new and just got started 4 months ago. This current job is for on a vehicle, If I am not mistaken I think after like 5 years this vinyl tends to fade? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for all that posted it is very beneficial.

oracal 651 for glass or 751 for body decals - would never use greenstar for customer car

Ok I was just curious because I am new to this and want to give my customers the best quality decal as possible thanks for the post I will be placing an order for some oracal 651 and 751 thanks for the help!

i always learn so much here. LIke how to have figured for the installed amount. Great stuff on this forum. Thanks everyone. !!

I had the first formula down (l+w)/2 but always wondered about install. Not that i have done enough for real people (customers) but need to know. Usually it is just friend stuff for now.