Sign in to follow this  
WHIT72

Pricing design

So when a customer comes to you with a request that requires you to design and print a sign or tshirt, what do you usually charge for the design.

I have been winging it with the vinyl.

So if you actually have to design the shirt or sign what do you charge?

I'm in the minority on this but I very rarely charge design fee unless they want the file for the design or if it's gonna take a crazy long time to do.

I'm in the minority on this but I very rarely charge design fee unless they want the file for the design or if it's gonna take a crazy long time to do.

Same as Jaybird, I don't (usually) charge unless they want to take the design elsewhere.

If I can still count that makes you three tje MAJORITY in this thread :huh: 

I havent been charging either.

It seems people that come to me have know idea what they want, so I put something together and they want to change or they like it but they want to add something.

I dont use clipart, not that I wouldnt I just thinks its cool to wear something no one else will ever own, My customers are usually thrilled with the finished product, at times its a pain in the butt to actually get to the final product.

be sure to charge enough to cover this design time though - too many are selling for low enough that it doesn't pay thier time - when you can make more at minimum wage and still not covering replacement plotter cost (and computer) then you are working too cheap.  it has been easy to do with the give away prices but to further erode it will make sure no one can afford to keep going in2 yrs.  not sayin scalp prices but cover your actual time and material.  It is easier to say no design time if you are just hacking images from google or the forum.  does that keep you going and teach you how to do original artwork?  we recently had someone on here that has had thier plotter for 5 years and ask for a simple design to be drawn - learned nothing in 5 years.  I have learned if it is too complicated  or I don't have time add the cost and have excalabur do the drawing - has worked out great for both of us.  the first design he did for me I have used on about 350 coffee mugs now.  cost per mug less than 6 cents a mug and I plan on much more use out of it!.  and it is amazingly detailed!

That's the thing Dakota, I'm my worst enemy. When I'm asked to design something it has to be perfect, I can't simply throw something together. My roots are in graphic design so I have to make it perfect and that often costs me the most time.

The thing is, I think customers just assume it took us five minutes to throw something together.

Oh well, at Times I think I'll just buy a disk with a million clip art, Joe Smo dosent seem to care if it's original or not and they certainly don't want to pay for it.

I have never charged either and I have done a ton of them...  What I hate though is when someone asks could you design so and so I want to see how it will look, then you never hear from them again...

• Like 1

I have had that happen, I keep it and sell it to someone else. That happens in logo design all the time I save them tweaked it a little and boom is ready for the next landscaper or roofer or whatever.

I stopped most of that by discussing price up front and if it's something I can't do while they wait I mention the deposit also so they aren't surprised after the time is spent on the design. Still happens occasionally but not nearly as  often.

I charge $25 an hour for design time. Minimum 1 hour. Same for installation. 

I'm still up in the air on this. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm learning towards something like first draft free, if its something simple, then charge by the hour for re drafts.