Sign in to follow this  
plbrooks

A royal scre#*@!?

My husband had four sets of unit numbers made for some trucks at his work - I'd love to do them but his company considers it a conflict of interest and all that bulls*&%...  anyway, for a sequence of seven 2-Inch tall numbers in a regular block font, weeded, masked and ready for installation, he was charged $49 (works out to $12.25 each decal).  They're two inches tall, and 11 1/8" wide .  Not quite sure how they figured their pricing, unless it's by the square inch.  I can't ask because I'm a contractor to them and I don't want them to think that I'm trying to undercut them or ask for special favors, but DANG...  does that sound like normal pricing?  I don't do a lot of vinyl here in my shop, so I'm unclear about pricing...  Thanks!!

Time and time again, the question of pricing on RTA arises, and the answer remains the same ---

L + W (inches) divided by two = dollars.

In this case, 12+2 = 14  /2 = $7.00

So, they paid maybe twenty bucks higher overall for this job, but that's still within the realm of "normal" pricing and certainly isn't a royal screw.

Sounds like they charge by the square inch. OUCH!

mark-s

• Like 1

Going from $7 to $12.25 per unit sure seems like it... but I don't do a lot of vinyl so that's why I asked. Thanks, Slice!  B)

It does sound like a "royal screw" to me when you charge $50 for 50 cents of material and 5 minutes of labor.

It does sound like a "royal screw" to me when you charge $50 for 50 cents of material and 5 minutes of labor.

But would it have been a screwing to charge $28 for the same material & time?

I guess it is not a royal screw if the company called and asked for pricing, got the pricing and agreed to the purchase.  Did they get several quotes?  I don't ever buy anything with out an estimate.  If they got a quote, and agreed to the price and placed the order..... then who is at fault?

To me, it does sound high.  Higher than I would have charged for sure.  

I get $1 an inch so $12 each. Would of done 4 for $35. You count labor but what about wear and tear on machine and rent lights erc.

A royal screw? Really? The vinyl guy got the job. The company handed over their money and got the product they wanted. The pricing posts are always so funny on here. What might be "normal" pricing in one town might be insane cheap or high in the next town. Hell you might have two companies in the same town that have wildly different prices. Its all in their(or should be) business model. One guy might need to charge more to keep the doors open. If hes getting jobs in then who cares. That shouldnt effect your prices. 

• Like 1

I had a similar perspective when starting out until I opened the store and had rent, lights, inventory, equipment upkeep, you get the picture. I soon realized if you don't factor that in you go under quick

it's like embroidery prices widly vary, someone with a 16 needle new machine and overhead is going to charge more than someone that bought a single needle walmart machine and working from their basement, factoring in the cost to replace the machine every few years and the prices increase a little.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like they figured their pricing correctly for that job. They are trying to make a living and $49 hardly puts bread on the table.

I am assuming that they have used this sign company in the past and they probably always come through for them and give them good quality and on time work.

I for one will be happy to pay a little more for something for my business if I know that I will get what I want. I am not in any way saying that you couldnt do just as good a job for them but most people dont want to risk changing to someone different and possibly getting a crap job done.

As for the conflict of interests thing, what it comes down to is if they agree to use you and they do not like the quality of your work they have 2 choices which are to not use you anymore and risk making your husband angry with the company or continue to use you and not be happy with your work which will in turn make the company not happy with your husband.

For me that is rule #1. Never ever do business that in any way shape or form involves family.

It never turns out well in the end.