Sign in to follow this  
tgbvinyl

business license

I was trying to figure out when getting a business license what category business should I put?

I am trying to go legal with a business license and all, any other suggestions and advice would be nice! 

It will all depend on your state and municipal codes. You may just need a retailers license or a contractors license. In our state the first step is to apply for a business registration from the state tax department. Some of our towns requires you to buy a city license some don't . Unless you are going to do installing of signs / lit signs and formed letters you probably just need a retailers permit. The first step is to pull up your states web page and check the regulations on small business start up some states offer a package of info and forms to get started . Good luck.

Dan

It is completely different in each state and sometimes even in each county / city. I live in a small town that is really a suburb of a city. The steps are completely different between the two. 

First step should still be to decide what type of organization you will be for tax purposes. Check out the IRS and getting an EIN (employer identification number) you have to decide if you are going to be a sole proprietor, LLC, corporation, or partnership. I am a Sole Proprietor and had the option to use my social security number or get an EIN. 

Second find out if you need a retailers permit, business license, and state tax ID. these things will vary by your location. When I applied with my city for a business license, I filled out the forms and they selected what type of business I was. 

I also had to post a fictitious business name in a local news paper and file a form with the county. Luckily I found a very small newspaper from a tiny neighboring mountain community that did the posting for $35. The local large newspaper wanted $400 dollars for the same thing!

I had a visit from the local (county) Business Inspector, and he determined that since I'm not "trading" in goods, I have no need for the county Retailer's/Trader's License (Business Licence)

For the record, I am listed with the Federal Government on my 1040A tax filings with Principal Business Activity Code #541400  (Specialized Design Services)

The State has me on record with a Sales and Use Tax number (I collect 6% on each transaction and transfer it to them quarterly).

I use receipts from Staples, just basic sales receipts and I add my rubber-stamped dba name on them.

I thought you had to have a business license to get a tax ID. If you arent doing "business as", using your SSN. Maybe that is also different state to state.

I've had businesses in 2 different states and the procedures are polar opposites from each other. I think each state, county and town does whatever they feel like doing.

I thought you had to have a business license to get a tax ID. If you arent doing "business as", using your SSN. Maybe that is also different state to state.

I indeed do have a business registration through the State, using the DBA ('doing business as') but the County where the store operates is not requiring me to maintain a "traders license" (the inspector says that I'm not 'trading' actually --  I don't buy merchandise and then sell for a profit/markup at retail. He acknowledged that I am a creator/fabricator and take a product and turn it into something else, which by definition is not considered 'trading' technically)

Going by what TGBvinyl is asking, I am saying that he should look into being listed/registered as a fabrication-type industry, not as a retail operation.

Obviously, there are so many factors relating to State and Local regulations, and we're not really able to provide one definitive answer here.