MadHatterGraphix

What's in your installation toolbox?

Alright here we go with a question for Wednesday. I'm looking to create a toolbox for installing vinyl, so my questions are simple. I normally just install window decals which I use a ruler for of course measuring and masking tape. I also just ordered some Graphix Gone, Action Tac, and plastic razor blades.

1. What do you use to transport / store your installation equipment?

2. What kind of tools do you use?

I use on of these that is a lot deeper. I think it was $5 at Target...

I have in it:

squeegies

app fluid

scissors

level

box cutter

china marker

measuring tape

rags I use cotton terry towels that I get for free from a motel...ones that are too worn for guests)

Cigars

Zippo lighter

plain masking tape (for hinging)

post-242-0-52768800-1372259788_thumb.jpg

I smoke Cigars and they help me to concentrate. That,and people tend to avoid cigar smoke and I don't like customers standing beside me while I work.

• Like 2

I would add RapidPrep surface cleaner, paper towels and as far as measuring tapes go, I have one that is a centering tape that helps you find the center of an object for when you're mathematically challenged and can't find the center of a 77 3/4" window.   The one I have is similar to this one and I found it on the clearance rack at a Michael's craft store for $5.00

I also include the only item from Sign Warehouse that I still regularly use, one of their bubble popper tools which is nothing more than a piece of dowel rod with one end cut at a 45° slant and a needle sticking out of the other end.  The pointy end is perfect for taking care of any weeding you missed or for taking care of bubbles that occur during installation and the slanted end works as a burnishing tool for smoothing out tiny bubbles or wrinkles that may occur.   I made something similar by snapping a quilting needle (larger than standard sewing needles) in half (wear safety glasses!) and inserted the pointy half of the needle into an X-acto knife handle - it makes it heftier and feels nicer in the hand, but the absence of the slanted end makes me often times go back to the wooden version.

I also have a standard glass scraper tool that uses single-edged razor blades for removing material from glass, and I keep a couple Lil' Chizzelers in my bag as well as a spray bottle of Oops! cleaner for removing adhesive residue.

I picked up a set of rolling scissors in the craft area of a local drug store and have found them to be very handy - they work well on vinyl, app tape and liner - or all 3 at once.   I use them primarily when doing hinge installs to cut away the first half of the liner once it's taped in place - there are no exposed sharp edges so I don't have to worry about scratching someone's paint job on their vehicle.

You might also consider a spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol that you can use to cool down dark tinted glass on sunny days.  I just bought two more large bottles at Wal-Mart, they stock 50% isopropyl and 70% in larger bottles and the price is about the same, but the 70% evaporates faster and cools quicker.  I think I paid $1.96 per bottle.

As far as carrying containers, I have a DeWalt tool bag that I purchased at a storage unit auction for only $5.  It looked brand new and I didn't have a specific use in mind when I bought it and it sat around for a couple of years until I went looking for something to put my install tools in and then I remembered where it was.  It's a little big, and I'd like something a little smaller, but I already owned it and so I didn't have to spend any more money...

Similar to Banner and OW, but I also carry 4 strong round magnets about 1" in dia along with my center tape I also carry seamstress tape measure and my rollepro rivet tool. No cigars or intern's notes.

Knife

Felt squeegee

3M gold squeegee

Masking tape

Centerline tape measure - yeah I'm lazy like that

Paper towels

App. fluid

Adhesive remover

Single edge razors - regular and plastic

Trash bag for the mess afterwards.

Can't forget the camera.

I try to keep it simple. I have a small tupperware container that holds scissors, two squeegees, an exacto knife with extra blades, weeding poker tool, plastic razor, weeding tweezers, blue masking tape, and a womans measuring tape (the kind used for sowing). I leave the measuring tape with about 3 feet out and the rest rolled up and tape it so it doesn't unravel. I carry a regular tape measure on my belt and my app fluid sprayer holds paper towels on the neck. 

Lots of water to drink

Aspirin - just in case it turns into a fun one.

I have a couple tool totes similar to what John showed

Sissors ,stabilos, steel rulers,magnetic ruler,tape,app fluid ,window cleaner.razor blades,paper towels and terry towels,rapid prep , levels , radio and a cooler of botteled water and my coffee jug. Plus any thing I think I might need if it is any distance away I would rather have to unload it then need it and not have it in the van.

great items guys you gave me a lot of information and now my wallet has moths living in it lol. however I found something I think would be good. I'm not fond of the color but its will hold most if not everything.

post-35756-0-15640100-1372314330_thumb.jpost-35756-0-32549200-1372314321_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ang I haven't picked it up yet however Walmart supposedly has them I saw one in their clearance area and now hoping they still have it.

I'll have to check out our local Walmart.  Wouldn't mind having one!