Sign in to follow this  
radiusprint

Hello from Georgia

Hello everyone.

My name is Chris and I'm the managing director (aka Owner) of Radius Print & Promotional. We're a full-service marketing firm that specializes in printing, promotional products, apparel, signage, design, print-on-demand and fulfillment, and turn-key marketing management services.

For years I've outsourced the production of much of our vinyl products to local vendors. While this model worked well for us, I've made the decision to bring the production of non-full-color vinyl jobs in-house. Based on our needs, I've recently purchased a Roland GX-24 cutter and a Stahls Maxx 16x20 press. I'm looking to purchase a Stahls Maxx Cap press in the near future.

All that being said, this is what brings me here. I'm here to learn more about the actual production side of the business and pick up on any tricks of the trade that I don't already know.

Hope that I can eventually become an asset to the community.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello and welcome Chris . You are starting with a quality cutter which will make your life easier on the learning curve of a plotter/cutter. Quality software will also help . Good luck on your added venture .

Dan

Welcome,,  yes your life will be easier, with quality equipment.  You will be up and growing in no time..

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Luckily, because we've been selling these items for a while now, it was an easy transition from outsourcing to producing in-house. And luckily, we've had enough business since I picked up the equipment that we've already recouped a significant portion of the equipment costs! All I can say is that had I known that material costs were what they are, I'd have made this switch a long time ago.

I spent a couple months researching equipment and talking with our vendors (who were obviously reluctant to tell me much). I came to the realization that the Roland line was the best choice and was about 24 hours away from biting the bullet and purchasing a good condition used Versacamm VP-300i. My pocketbook got the best of me and I settled on the GX-24, which based on the scale of the work we do, is the best bang for the buck for us. The heat press was a no-brainer (given the picture of the cheap-o model here on US Cutter with the broken bolt replaced with a flathead screwdriver). I was able to pick up the Maxx 16x20 for $500 cash in very good condition, less than a year old.

We're a 100% OS X environment, and as such, we use Illustrator CS6 for our artwork. The Roland plugin for CS6 works really well - I was actually surprised at how well it works!

Anyways, best to all of you, and thanks again for welcoming me.