livinloudgraphics

Customer wants it done like this.

So i when to a estimate today and the customer was pleased with the work that i drawn up for them. The only thing we disagreed on was how to install it. The way the doors and stuff are, it is a openly business (multiple shops around) and the owner suggested me mirror the decals to the inside of the window instead of having  them on the outside.(which is no problem) but the way he suggested it was i do the decals and install them and then he go back over it with window tint to make it POP more...

So the top would be visible from a good distance away. i suggested having the decals on the outside but doing the tint on the inside and it would be a lot better and wouldnt be such a hassle for him. And also i still would warranty it from fading and stuff but i couldnt warranty it for others scratching it up and  peeling them off.. And he suggest that i do them on the inside and tint over them.. Has anyone came to a point like this before and if so how did you go about it? Cause in my opinion i think doing the tint on the inside and decals on outside would be easy and less hassle. But the customer has there ways and all of having it look better than other. Will this work out by layering tint over the decals?

So they want it to be window decal tint? There will be a bubble all the way around the decal. It will look like crap. 

You want them to pop? Put a vinyl background behind the words. For example, business name goes across the top of the window, put the words up there and then stick maybe a 12 inch wide piece of vinyl all the way across the window in a contrasting color. Youll read it from across a 4 lane road.

oracal rep told me a few years ago at the nbm show that the adhesive is not uv protected and would deteriorate quicker than if installed as designed with the vinyl side out - so they did NOT recommend putting decals on the inside of the windows.  Now with that said I have seen it done a lot.

ok so with that being said no go on the mirror images and the tint over top. i was thinking of show them how it would look before i actually cut everything and see what they say but then again i was reading about the uv protection on the adhesive side. so im going to explain and say that i recomment put them on the outside and they might have to take a risk of other messign with them?

I had a customer that wanted a sign on their glass door.  The window tint was mirror and they wanted the sign made from white vinyl.  I told them that it would be hard to see,  but they wanted it that way so I made and installed the sign.  The sign is almost invisible.   Even so they are happy with it. 

So you might argue until you're blue in the face but in the end the customer is going to get it his way from you or someone else.  

• Like 1

This is a good example of when a well written document would save you a ton of trouble. An order form, invoice, agreement, whatever you call it. Have what the customer requested written on it with a disclosure and statement of liability release because the warranty does not cover this type of installation. Get it signed before you start and no problemo. I like to include "once the form is signed there is no cancelations" that way I don't add a heap of cut and taped vinyl to my inventory.

Undoubtly these people operate in an area prone to vandalism or are super paranoid . There is a guy here that lived in new yuck for a while and locks his truck when he is 5 ft away I leave my van wide open on the job with all my tools in it . People worried about someone peeling the graphic has undoubtly never tried to remove well set vinyl that has set in the sun .

Dan

• Like 1

Undoubtly these people operate in an area prone to vandalism or are super paranoid . There is a guy here that lived in new yuck for a while and locks his truck when he is 5 ft away I leave my van wide open on the job with all my tools in it . People worried about someone peeling the graphic has undoubtly never tried to remove well set vinyl that has set in the sun .

Dan

only time I had trouble was in the med line at the prison - they peeled the decals on the doors I donated - I just kept extras in the drawer and wore them out  B) 

They were probably much calmer after the meds lol

you would be amazed at the resiliance of stupidity even when drugged - strange the better ones didn't come to the med lines   :huh: 

One of my cousins worked at a prison near Richmond Va. He told me some of the things that happened and the wierdos there I feel for you guys .

I am so glad to be out - it isn't just the prisoners - goes all the way from staff to administration - the stress is the part that literally kills people.  in 27.5 years I had 4 co workers commit suicide, close to a 85 percent divorce rate, several die while employed - one of my friends sitting at his desk in the housing unit!  The prisoners are getting more and more violent - had a friend last year get hit so hard he wasn't right for days after being knocked out- the state's dr sent him back to work in 2 days and we kind of kept him in a safer spot for the rest of the week till he regained his senses back.