stuperprohero

Need to cut small chrome letters

I'm not in the sign business and probably never will be, however I'm looking to cut small chrome letters as a logo for a product.

I have no idea what the bare minimum of a plotter/cutter would be to get started to see if the product flys.

What's needed is to cut out small decals to adhere to the product and they need to be chrome with the best mirror appearance possible. The smallest letters would be 1/8" wide which is pretty small? If feasable there would also need to be periods..............although we could do without them if necessary.

I consider myself mechanically inclined and can usually sort problems out when they arise but not if the tool wasn't designed for the job in the first place. Which is where I need help.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on a plotter or experiences with cutting this type of media.

What I'm looking at is the USCutter MH 28" just in case i decide to do something larger but my priority is to cut chrome media. I know there are some high dollar units out there but could I get by initially with an MH series that's a little over $200?

I did have a sign shop cut several designs but she isn't interested in doing any more. I do recall she mentioned ordering some special chrome media for this job that was thinner so it would cut better.

Would you also have any suggestions for the specific brand or thickness of chrome decal that would work?

Thank you for all your help!

• Like 1

I use fdc coburn chrome but that is some small stuff for chrome - keep in mind that chrome will scratch bad.  another option is to find someone with a gerger edge printer and have the whole label printed on chrome

Tell ya what I'll do -----  tomorrow in my shop, where I have the MH unit sitting, let me give this a try with small letters on chrome vinyl (there's a bit of scrap mirror silver just laying around that I can use)

Results of my experiment will be posted here.

mqdefault.jpg

If you need to cut 1/8" wide letters like you said, that means the letters will be around 1/4" tall or less, which means you will need a higher end cutter like a Graphtec or Roland,

even when cutting regular vinyl.

• Like 1

I got the Silhouette Cameo because of it ablilty to do small detail including 1/4 lettering. So far, I have not been disappointed.

I have seen & read where many members including our leader Banner John cuts 1/4" & smaller stuff with the least expensive cutters . It always helps when you know what you are doing & have experience . Only 1 way I know of to get experience ..... :) . I have cut less than 1/4 " letters using Cole casual font , which is a harder font to weed with my Copam . You have to pay X-tra attention & have X-tra patience when dealing with small stuff . I could not stand to do much at 1 time for myself or especially for anybody else . IMO , the more costly cutters really show the benifits in longer decals . Any decal a couple foot long or less can be done with any of the cutters . I have never used anything but a Copam . It is the top of the value cutters & the bottom of the professional cutters & does a great job . 

Mission accomplished, produced a 1/2" sample word ("TINY") using Helvetica.

Honestly, it wasn't a particulary spectacular result, even with the speed lowered to 8 (when doing the cut at full-blast 48, it picked-out the letter Y -- see photo of the blade holder with the letter stuck onto the end)

post-21408-0-18031400-1357835443_thumb.j

post-21408-0-01149700-1357835452_thumb.j

post-21408-0-74417500-1357835463_thumb.j

Is it wrong of me that I would charge a customer a "PITA" fee if approached with something like that?

Please explain more, of what you mean, by charging a customer a "PITA" fee. ..

I think he means if it is more difficult to work with and wweek due to size and no it isn't wrong as it takes more of your time and time is money

Yes, I agree with that, but if you know your cutter can't cut it, why would you take the order in the first place.? Just to get a "PITA" fee out of the deal? I know what my cutter can do. And I know what my other cutter, (Seiki), can't do. I doubt any value cutter, could cut that nicely..at that size..and make it look professional. It takes me messing with the force, to cut the Avery chrome perfect. That is all I have ever cut, as far as chrome..It is thicker than regular vinyl, and different material.

• Like 1

Thank you very much slice&dice. And everyone else.

So it looks as though it can be done with the MH and lots of practice/patience?

This would be the smallest I would need to go and not a lot of them are needed I believe the font used is just Arial.

So if I bought an MH is there a blade recommendation?

Also is there a mirror like media that would be more suitable? What you used looks nice and chrome-like

then there is the queston of how well such small letters would stay stuck when handled

I had a little time, so I cut some Tiny words.  These are .2"H x .5"W  Font Holla  done in Avery chrome  and I still used the 45 degree blade that was in my cutter already.. They all cut good.   And Dakotagraphix is correct, there is not enough adhesive to stick at a size that small.post-3058-0-66690000-1357850791_thumb.jppost-3058-0-51164500-1357852205_thumb.jp

Another excellent example MzSkeeter. Thank you!

I feel like the adhesive shouldn't be an issue. These are going to be logos for custom musical drums. The trial runs we did were very successful because the decals we had made by a sign shop (which were this small) was applied to smooth dried clear coat and then they are cleared over again many times with a high build urethane clear.

There will be much larger sizes for the fronts of the base drum heads, cases, etc. that will not be cleared over. Also 3M makes and excellent adhesion promoter that comes in a small application sponge that is pre soaked with the adhesion solution and packaged like a wet nap.

I'll see if I can locate the chrome media you used MzSkeeter Skeeter.

Thanks again everyone!

OK The MH 721 showed up today via FedEx!! I'm excited to give it a go.

Now I'm waiting on another delivery, ordered some Oracle red to practice with and a roll of Shein mirror chrome. As well as some appication tape. Should be here friday so I'll be experimenting all weekend.

Will post some results when I'm done.

Thanks again everyone!

OK The MH 721 showed up today via FedEx!! I'm excited to give it a go.

Now I'm waiting on another delivery, ordered some Oracle red to practice with and a roll of Shein mirror chrome. As well as some appication tape. Should be here friday so I'll be experimenting all weekend.

Will post some results when I'm done.

Thanks again everyone!

Be advised that Schein mirror chrome isn't like other vinyls - it is a mirrored polyester film - it is thinner than vinyl (2 or 2.5 mil as I recall) and stiffer than vinyl, so it cuts a little differently, but it weeds beautifully.

Make sure you have enough to tweak your cutter's settings *and* to do your job.  It also scratches pretty easily, so be careful when applying it.  If you handle it with care, it ends up looking really nice.

• Like 1

OK I'm getting it figured out. Having one small problem and I'm not quite sure how to solve it. I'm guessing it's in the offset settings.

What's happening is on certain objects or letters the plotter cuts, it's as if it didn't complete the cut by only a very small fraction. As in just enough to where when you try to weed it wants to pull the letter up at a very small point

In an attempt to explain it better: Lets say we are cutting a circle. The blade should make a complete circle and the weeded out portion would peel off easily and leave the circle. It's as if the blade isn't completing the circle by only a small fraction.

How do you fix this?

Here's an example of what I've accomplished so far. Although this doesn't show the problem I'm having.

KickLogo_zps6affdb22.jpg

Yes, that is more than likely in the blade offset.  Some cutting software has over cut in it, just to give it that little extra to meet. I have no clue what cutting  software you are using.  I know Flexi products have it.

Carolyn, I hate to disagree but if the letters and corners are cutting correctly then offset wouldn't be the problem - overcut would fix it if his software has the option.   this is a common problem with the cheaper cutters and is usually fixed by adjusting the overcut.  I say that with the most respect toward my learned collegue

LOL  let's ask him,  is everything else perfectly cut?  Are the corners square on the letters?  Just gotta make sure. 

it can be summed up pretty easy - inexpensive cutter . . . .   there is a reason they are so cheap and more people move up to Roland and Graphtec over time.   ;D  B)

Thanks everyone. Yes the rest of the cuts are fine. It does seem to be an overcut adjustment needed. Haven't had a chance to locate the setting yet.

And yes it is an inexpensive cutter but it is a USCutter brand and I'm on the USCutter forum. Also I stated from the get go that I'm not in the business nor may not ever be.

But hey, I'm having fun with my inexpensive plotter. Lol

Is it just the picture on the drum, or is the hole in the A still there? in U.S.A.?  and the last e in performance?   They don't look weeded.