constricted

how do you keep vinyl flat when applying transfer tape?

hey guys,

i'm new to posting here but i've been a lurker for awhile now.. i use oracal 651 and rtape at60 (medium tack)..  just some questions on applying transfer tape.. more specifically, how do you guys keep your vinyl flat when applying transfer tape? 

i usually cut a piece of transfer tape, lay it sticky side up and then take my vinyl and stick it down keeping it tight, then squeegee it out. this works fine for smaller decals (like 6-7 inches), but ive been having difficulty using this method with larger decals. 

i'd like to build a transfer tape dispenser so i can just lay my vinyl down, stretch the tape over the design, then squeegee it and cut the tape near the roll. i've seen setups like this on youtube and it looks like it works well. the only problem is my vinyl never lays flat, therefore i don't see it working for me.. my vinyl ALWAYS curls up.

what methods do you use for applying transfer tape? how do you keep your vinyl from curling up on itself??

Masking tape in the corners to hold it flat onto the surface of your table?

stock-photo-227934-antique-book-page-wit

• Like 1

What kind of vinyl are you using?   I make all kinds of decals and they lay flat...  Something to do before cutting your vinyl, is to roll it loosely  in the opposite direction,   hold it for a little bit. And it will lay flat. You can also do the same after it has been cut though..

Not sure what you are calling large decals, but for large decals, paper  transfer tape would work better, and can be rolled up loosely, nicely. 

I use this

http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller

I start the tape off the roll, stick it between the rollers so it comes out under front roller sticky side down.

I pull the tape out a little further then needed and stick end to table. I then slide my decals under it and squeegee each one down. Most ive done at one time like this was about 3' of 6" decals. then just take xacto blade and score the tape between the individual decals to separate them, then clean cut each with scissors. No issue.

Not sure this is 100% correct but works well for me

Thanks, I'll try the masking tape idea.. If I happen to squeegee the transfer tape over the masking tape, will I be able to peel the transfer tape back and remove the masking tape when all done?

I only use oracal 651.. a large decal to me is anything over 8"x8".. I wasn't sure if i could roll it the opposite direction, I will also give that a try.

Any suggestions on a good paper transfer tape? I've been using clear because I just starting to sell a few decals online and to friends and it makes the decals look more presentable/easier to install for non-experienced users.

sounds like a good time to look at youtube videos on applying vinyl graphics/decals, of course you can peel the backing away and apply the decals and remove the paper transfer tape, at an angle.

• Like 1

Monkey : thats the kind of application roller i'm going to build...

Mz Skeeter :  i've looked at tons of youtube videos, just looking for any tips from the experienced guys here on the forum

Thanks, I'll try the masking tape idea.. If I happen to squeegee the transfer tape over the masking tape, will I be able to peel the transfer tape back and remove the masking tape when all done?

Yep, not a problem.

Just remember that the masking tape isn't going to stick tremendously well to the waxed surface of the vinyl backing paper, but it should hold just long enough to get the app tape down onto the decal.

When building the roller keep in mind a lip like the 1 I showed you to hold onto edge of table. Or make it mounted to table. Otherwise your going to be fighting it moving while you try to pull the tape out to where you want. If it wasnt for the lip on mine it would be a PITA I think

yea i've been planing on clamping or attaching it to the edge of the table. i'm probably going to take a trip to ikea and grab a towel bar and figure something out from there.. looking to make something similar to this, maybe a little prettier :