I did a lot of easy decals for a friend. Did I make anything though? I used EstiMate and the standard settings for the most part...

post-27037-0-19817500-1352168705.png

did you adjust your pricing correctly? that is all dirt cheap and really low. You need to set up shop rate also for everything within estimate. Prices should of been at least three times that in my book if not more.

I upped the prices on some things that were low to me.

When I used to purchase 2 color 6"x2" decals for my club, a local shop would charge .99 each, 100 total. I too that into consideration. I don't care about charging for weeding.

I did a lot of easy decals for a friend. Did I make anything though? I used EstiMate and the standard settings for the most part...

post-27037-0-19817500-1352168705.png

You might want to consider a different pricing tool. You are way low on prices. So You can figure that out yourself, Your the only one that knows your overhead expenses, your time, and what you paid for your materials. SO, did you make anything? :rolleyes:

http://www.thesignex...Calculator.html

• Like 2

Estimate is a good program, but you have to tell it about your shop, your costs, overhead, machine time, design time and everything, if you just open it and start pricing you are leaving alot of things unpaid for. And there is alot more than just the cost of the material in this business. Selling just vinyl for a set price per unit you are losing out on everything that is profitable.

Comparing your pricing for a bunch of one offs to what someone else is pricing of a different piece at 100 pcs might not be a good way to do it. They might have different machines than you and might be able to cut them in <5 min, single pull weed, apply transfer and then perf them in the plotter. where you are doing alot of the leg work by hand and each piece is different with out the volume of them numbers.

Underbidding might get jobs but leaving money on the table will definitely not make you any money and surely will not support a business.

Yeah maybe we should just buy them from you and re sell them heck why run my Graphtec

ust Kidding like everyone said a bit on the low side

• Like 1

You might want to consider a different pricing tool. You are way low on prices. So You can figure that out yourself, Your the only one that knows your overhead expenses, your time, and what you paid for your materials. SO, did you make anything? :rolleyes:http://www.thesignex...Calculator.html

I have to agree with the group. My prices would have been 2X-3X what you charged.

You have to count your LABOR and OVERHEAD expenses even if you work from home after hours.

Figure out an average cost per square foot or inch price then check with the sign calculator...most of the time it is close to what I have figured. If you used premium materials or something unusual...add an upcharge for that. If you put in any design time....that's shouldn't be FREE either. If it's a RUSH job...you should have a fee for "Drop everything and do my job first".

Take one of your finished decals to another area shop and ask what they would charge to make 1-2 copies. That will give you an idea of where you should be.

Give your friends the REAL price then offer them a discount if you want....but be sure they are aware of what the real world price would have been.

Sue2

I thought I had heard a good rule of thumb for on the fly pricing was to add the inches both ways then divide by 2. For example a 6"x8" would be 6+8=14 divide by 2 would be 7 bucks.

However, I understand, I have a friend or two that I "give stuff away too" in fact at times I even hate to charge actual cost..... and just give it to 'em. :-)

I thought I had heard a good rule of thumb for on the fly pricing was to add the inches both ways then divide by 2. For example a 6"x8" would be 6+8=14 divide by 2 would be 7 bucks.

However, I understand, I have a friend or two that I "give stuff away too" in fact at times I even hate to charge actual cost..... and just give it to 'em. :-)

As a rule of thumb that works with everyday one color vinyl decals...

but if they are wanting reflective, textured, multi-color, special colors,

extra large or tiny, etc....you need to add an up-charge.

The problem with giving stuff away (or cheap) ....

it leads to more expected freebies.

Yes, it's good advertising...but not if everyone expects "deals".

Somewhere along the line you have to pay for stuff other than "materials".

OVERHEAD...Your computer & upgrades, programs & upgrades,

cutter cost, electricity, heat, beer, etc.

Just my 2 cents....

Sue2

• Like 1

No you didn't make anything. But I think you were aware before you asked the question.

I ran the prices and I would be about 4x the total price you charged.

I also priced the stickers you said you were giving .99 for and came up with $1.07 each if you get the 2 colors and assemble them yourself - or (using 20 seconds per sticker) $1.33 if I assemble in the shop. Just so you know the effect of a higher volume on the same job setup.

How long did you spend doing the job? Divide the money by the hours and see what you "made" per hour - Would you hire on at a business that wanted to pay you that amount per hour?

Don't sweat over it - just do the setup in Estimate to make your hourly shop rate something you can live with.

I also have default minutes set up for each job to cover the putzing around it takes loading vinyl and getting a file loaded and sized to cut - this makes 1 of a kind jobs more expensive - but they are more expensive to process so it evens out.

In the end it is your business what you charge - Good luck

-Mike

I did a lot of easy decals for a friend. Did I make anything though?

I would say you actually lost money

• Like 1

I would say you actually lost money

Lost money? How so?

This is not a business for me. It's a hobby right now. I should clarify that I am not in it for a full time job, just something on the side for fun. I want to make sure I covered the cost if the vinyl, app tape and make a few bucks, nothing more.

what about the purchase of estimate? your cutter? replacement blades? tape? the scissors you cut them with? the power to run the computer and cutter? Much more than the cost of the vinyl involved.

what about the purchase of estimate? your cutter? replacement blades? tape? the scissors you cut them with? the power to run the computer and cutter? Much more than the cost of the vinyl involved.

Point taken. All of the above would apply, except for estimate which I am using a trial. I don't think I'll buy it.

You might want to consider a different pricing tool. You are way low on prices. So You can figure that out yourself, Your the only one that knows your overhead expenses, your time, and what you paid for your materials. SO, did you make anything? :rolleyes:

http://www.thesignex...Calculator.html

I've used that before for small decals. A 23"x32" decal does not cost $55....

It depends on the design , Do you see the black Jester in the Gallery pictures? It is 24"W x 36.5"H and Yes, I charged $59.99 for each. The guy liked it so well He bought the 2nd one. .. It was priced right, and that is cheap for a very detailed design like that.

My niche' is detailed designs. You probably don't do detailed designs, or very large full side vehicle graphics, like I do.

You must work for $1 an hour.......I sure don't.... this is how I make my living...

If you take the longest side only, it would be $32 which is about in the ballpark for that size I think.

I can see $32. This was a giant letter "M" for "Meyagi" so it wasn't exactly hard to weed.

I keep my prices below that guide, BUT I sure don't work for FREE....It also depends on your experience, and how fast you are at weeding. I am used to very detailed designs, that is what I learned with, So I can probably do it faster than you, plus I have a great Graphtec which cuts great the first time, which makes a big difference. I don't have to fine tune it in every time I want to cut. .And that Jester took me about 25-30 minutes, Start to finish. And I don't work real hard anymore, but I stay steady. I know how long a job takes me any more. I don't charge by the hour, I charge by the job. And I work from my home.

And my Graphtec is not an entry level $300-400 cutter, so that IS figured in.