threezzz

new..looking for a good vinyl cutter

hello all...i am new to the vinyl making signs, decals, ect....what i am looking to make is just car window decals on the side..like the 3x3 high school sport logos ect....here is my question & hopefully someone can help me...what i am wondering is there a vinyl cutter that the finished product only has the finished cut on the transfer paper. I dont want to have the "clear" backing part of the vinyl after weeding it... so on the transfer paper i just have the letters or design and not the clear vinyl backing between the letters or cuts ect..?..does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense to me. Can you explain a little more. Once you peel the transfer tape from the backing, all you will have is the decal.

No it doesn't .... :lol: . What a vinyl cutter does it cut vinyl that is on " backing " paper . The process then is to " weed " the unwanted vinyl off the design . Then apply " transfer " paper . You then remove the decal ( stuck to the transfer paper ) off of the backing paper & apply to the car etc . You then remove the transfer paper leaving trhe design on the car etc . Until you see it done , it isn't as easy to understand . Look on USCutter's website , their facebook page or on youtube & it will be easy to understand .

As far as cutters , any cutter will do what you need . Value cutters are good enough . Copams are the top of the value cutters/start of the professional cutters & many high end cutters above that . Seems the SC cutters are the best bang for the buck for someone starting out . Copam if you think it is a more serious venture & a Graphtec if you want to start out with the best .

• Like 2

I think he he is looking for the backing paper to be contour cut along with the decal and application tape.......I think, and if so not that I know of. I guess you could do it if you used a carrier sheet?:huh:

The backing stays on until you go to install then you peel it off as you install then remove your app tape after instalation . There are tutorials about applying and installing app tape both here and utube.

Dan

I am pretty sure that what he/she wants is a decal that DOESN'T show through clear between the letters.

In other words, a solid background (say, white) and then the logo on top of that.

Here is what I imagine they are seeking to accomplish ---

Bay_County_Schools_logo.jpg

sorry for all the confusion..just trying to figure this out..lol...so what would be a good vinyl cutter to start out with....not going to be doing big projects...at most 24 inches long...

Any cutter will do ( I don't consider the Wal-Mart type cutters in that statement though ) . Best 1 time buy for the money spent is the 24" Copam IMO , especially if buying a refurb on sale . The cheaper cutters work good, but many update from them ... some have used them for decades . Making that decal in 1 color is very easy . It you are making a white decal & putting it on a black car , you have the option of weeding it 2 ways . 1 way the text/birdl is white & the rest is black ( or clear if installed on glass ) . The other option is to weed out the text/bird & they will be black within a white circle . In order to keep the red & yellow parts in the bird detailed , you would need to outline them or cut all colors & decide what is black & what is white . Much reading thru this forum , USCutters website & youtube will benifit you .

well i just plan on doing this on the side to make some extra money..but i would like something decent & have the hardware & software to come with it...obviously you cant charge much for the small window stickers i want to make & have seen vinyl machines from 200-3,000...i dont want to have to use it for 3 years and not having a cutter paid off...

You still haven't said how much you have to spend. Get the best cutter you can afford. You should have no trouble paying it off even with small decals if you have a market. I bought my first cutter for $400 and had it paid for in 3 months without even trying. Once people (friends and family) know you have one word wil get around to others. The cheaper cutters don't do fine detail as well as the more expensive ones. You will also have to tinker more to keep the vinyl aligned on larger cuts.

I would look at the 24" SC or LaserPoint on the USCutter website or their eBay store.

yea i would say around 400-500 dollars would be fine...

Don't forget, the "other stuff" you need to go along with the cutter

will run another $100-200...if you don't get a kit.

vinyl

app tape

squeegies

xacto knives

beer

• Like 1

[[[[ Cardinal logo hockey sticker ]]]]

i would like to make stickers like this...but only one color..say white or red

OK, but you didn't exactly answer the question -- do you want the background to remain white and the lettering/bird to be red?

If so, you would need to create TWO layers, the white circle first, and then apply the red lettering/logo onto it.

That is what I understood you to mean, as noted in my posting above.

In reply to your original query, regarding what to buy, I can only point to my own positive experience with an MH-series machine when I first opened my sign store over a year ago. The price today from USCUTTER's website of a 28" unit, with stand, is only $250.

To this very day, I still use the (free) SignBlazer Elements software in my retail environment.

Here are some examples that are typical of the output quality from the MH cutter --- (these are 2'x6' banners)

post-21408-0-58992500-1351630835.jpg

OK, but you didn't exactly answer the question -- do you want the background to remain white and the lettering/bird to be red?

If so, you would need to create TWO layers, the white circle first, and then apply the red lettering/logo onto it.

In reply to your original query, regarding what to buy, I can only point to my own positive experience with an MH-series machine when I first opened my sign store over a year ago. The price today from USCUTTER's website of a 28" unit, with stand, is only $250.

To this very day, I still use the (free) SignBlazer Elements software in my retail environment.

Here are some examples that are typical of the output quality from the MH cutter --- (these are 2'x6' banners)

Is the bottom on an invitation for burglars to come in?

ur signs look great!...i am so new to this that i am looking for any help i can get..everyone has been helpful so far!!...i think at first i just want to stay simple and just using one color for stickers...i do want to eventually make 2 color ect...but it looks like it is alittle complicated ...i did watch some youtube videos on multi color stickers...