SurberSigns

how to make die cut vinyl?

i was wondering if anybody knew how to create a die cut vinyl decal? i hear many things about it but im sill unsure on how to create one.

if i am wanting to make a logo, just two words but have the outside going around the words... like for example, Cutter- the outside would go around and go up around the T in cutter ect if that makes any sense.... look at this video of the decal in the vid... and this picture:

how can you create this in illustrator??

http://www.herecomethemummies.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/zoom/logo-decal2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsKf2uOfCX4

I assume this is your attempt at humor. At the very least I would have to ask are you kidding me. You work at a sign shop and ask if anyone here knows how to do this. Maybe someone hacked into your account and posted this.

I can't be the only one thinking this.

Mark

• Like 1

you said it well,, Markwq.. I decided to keep my mouth shut on this one. BUT I am..... Rolling on the floor laughing.....

I cant believe I just watched this thinking it was something special. Now Im 5 minutes older and didn't learn a damn thing.

• Like 1

What i liked about this video is all the Vinyl on the walls i like them holders and all that vinyl , I don't understand the dudes question though lol ...

I think you guys may be a little rough on him..... I think he is using the wrong terms and is inquiring on how to create an outline around the image that can be cut out. Not so much contour cutting but working with different outlines.... Any cutting we do with our machines would be considered "die cut" He needs to research how to outline designs he is creating..... I would highly recommend looking for a local class on your design program you are using.... The process for the design in the video and the picture will differ.

• Like 1

I cant believe I just watched this thinking it was something special. Now Im 5 minutes older and didn't learn a damn thing.

I was thinking the same thing the whole time... When does it get to the good stuff?

I think what he is wanting to know is how to make something like this, I know how to do it

with Signblazer but not Illustrator. Probably the same idea, add an outline with on offset,

The picture looks like it is a printed decal, but you can get the same effect by layering the vinyl.

logo-decal2.jpg

Is this the guy that is working at a vinyl/sign shop and isnt telling his boss that he does it on the side?

Is this the guy that is working at a vinyl/sign shop and isnt telling his boss that he does it on the side?

Yes it is

• Like 1

sorry for not being too clear. i put in my two weeks at the sign shop. its not that i didnt like it, they just had me doing a lot of stuff i didnt picture doing. i never really touched vinyl at all..... ever. i did mostly digital vinyl and just stuck it on a 4x8 thats all they had me doing....

but im sorry, i meant to ask for help with the outline....... :/

sorry for not being too clear. i put in my two weeks at the sign shop. its not that i didnt like it, they just had me doing a lot of stuff i didnt picture doing. i never really touched vinyl at all..... ever. i did mostly digital vinyl and just stuck it on a 4x8 thats all they had me doing....

but im sorry, i meant to ask for help with the outline....... :/

That's called learning the trade... you start out sweeping up... or doing the next boring task that needs doing. That's called a job. They are not going to give you the cushy design job right off the bench. :rolleyes:

You should of stuck it out might of learned a sumthin'.. like how to outline a group.

• Like 2

The actual answer is this --

Type your words. Use a color other than black.

Select them.

Choose Expand/Outline/Inline from the Manipulate menu.

Set your thickness parameters (usually you will have NO OFFSET)

Now, cut the two different items (outline, and then the letters)

After weeding, you can tape the letters with clear transfer tape, peel 'em away from their backing paper and carefully place (lining them up) within the outline, squeegee the whole thing, and there you have it, a die-cut layered decal, all taped and ready for application.

• Like 2

In illustrator with the object chosen click object, path, then offset path and choose how far you want it offset. After that chose just the offset and change the color then go to pathfinder and click merge., Now you can change it to just black outline and exclude the fill. Change the stroke to whichever width you want in the stroke panel.

Good call, Robspace, mistakenly I overlooked the OP request for those instructions in Illustrator, and provided the SignBlazer details instead. My entire world is SignBlazer, so that's how I automatically think.

• Like 1