jumpink

Is one way better than the other?

I have to install some vinyl this weekend. The text has a drop shadow. I have seen differnt ways that others lay a drop shadow and I wondered if one way was superior to the other? I have included an image to better explain.

The top numbers have a drop shadow and an outline that encompasses the red letters. The red letters would most likely be layered ontop of the drop shadow vinyl.

The bottom image has the drop shadow outside of the red letters seperated by a small space. No layering is necessary.

Do you guys/gals have an opinion as to which method is better and why, or does it come down to design preference?

sign_number.jpg

I prefer the top method... It's easier to work with if you do the shadow WITH backing... It gives you a little more room for error when layering and in my opinion it has a better over all look to it..... From a distance I think it reads better.

• Like 1

the white gap wont be seen when watching from distance (depends on how far away) and how big the numbers are, but the above one gives you a more bold numbers and would look better close giving it a better shadow.

I agree , but I think everybody including me is assuming it is going on a white background . If on a different color . it should be totally different as far as looks & readability :) . I like more of a shawdow in either case .

• Like 1

I agree , but I think everybody including me is assuming it is going on a white background . If on a different color . it should be totally different as far as looks & readability :) . I like more of a shawdow in either case .

actually i was thinking it would be in a window or clear door, since its a phone number :P but could be in a truck or something like that too hehehe

Sorry I should have mentioned that it is going on a white truck.

One more question, I am going to use Oracal 751. I have only used 651 and I like the way it handles. Can I expect anything different from the 751?

I prefer the top method... It's easier to work with if you do the shadow WITH backing... It gives you a little more room for error when layering and in my opinion it has a better over all look to it..... From a distance I think it reads better.

I agree. Unless you just like making things harder than they need to be,go with the top method.

• Like 1

One more question, I am going to use Oracal 751. I have only used 651 and I like the way it handles. Can I expect anything different from the 751?

751 works much better its easier to work with and last longer. Installing on flat surfaces you may not notice a huge difference but with wrapping contours is when it plays a large part.

Thanks for the responses. Do you use app juice with 751 or do you prefer to apply dry?

If you like 651 you will love 751 the cast works great

Dan

How do you guys do that shadow text in inkscape? Also do you guys use difference to make that top layer fit inside the bottom text or just lay it over the top?