Hello i got a job today for " Fantastic Sam's " to do there store front and the sign for the road for the strip mall they are in

So, my question is, Is this just vinyl, and i put a sealer around it? what is the best way to do this?

here are some images of where it is going

I have not used a ladder to go up there yet, but when i get up to it close it looks like it's just vinyl!

Just wondering if some others have done this before, I just don't want to mess up :) this is a big client and many more jobs may come of it if I get this right.. hehe

Thanks all

www.tcgfx.net

and 2nd is what would i charge for this? and i'm doing 2 signs one for each side of the sign !!!..

i would be doing the installation as well!

2012-05-17_15-20-06_543.jpg2012-05-17_15-20-41_694.jpg

I used to work for a sign company making signs/installing signs like this i cant remember was a while ago but make sure you use translucent vinyl.

If i was doing it would let all the white be from the sign so for fantastic sams would just be the 2 colors not sure what else you are doing for the sign hope its clean enough, Post finished pics!!

Where's the apostrophe?

Regarding the pylon/monument signs, you should be able to remove the acrylic panels, and apply your vinyl to the signs on a flat table in your regular work area.

It's easier that way than attempting it while standing on a ladder.

What size is the panel?

• Like 1

I would also look at taking the panels now. You will have a hard time cleaning and applying the vinyl trying to apply enough pressure when there is no support behind it and working from a ladder. As far as sealing the edges all I do is make a few quick passes with my heat gun.

Where's the apostrophe?

There isn't an apostrophe in Fantastic Sams.

Use cast translucent. Clean well. Ty to avoid layering translucent. If need 2 colors get it printed. I advise against using edge sealer on almost anything. Even more so this type of job.

Do a few small test cuts first if you've never worked with translucent before. It cuts different and is a whole different beast.

Be careful pulling this apart to get your panel in/out. Generally without a panel in there it weakens the whole structure so if its one of the smaller ones do the application on site so as not to leave a gaping hole in the sign if you are using the current panel. I always upsell to a new panel. Never any doubt of adhesion or longevity.

Use cast translucent. Clean well. Ty to avoid layering translucent. If need 2 colors get it printed. I advise against using edge sealer on almost anything. Even more so this type of job.

Do a few small test cuts first if you've never worked with translucent before. It cuts different and is a whole different beast.

Be careful pulling this apart to get your panel in/out. Generally without a panel in there it weakens the whole structure so if its one of the smaller ones do the application on site so as not to leave a gaping hole in the sign if you are using the current panel. I always upsell to a new panel. Never any doubt of adhesion or longevity.

It's a brand new strip mall so the sign is new!

so i'm useing the one that is on there...

and i went and looked at the sign close i'm not sure if i can take out the plastic piece that is in there

have to take off the whole side on some cans. They are all built a bit different.

I'm wondering if i'm up for this challenge !!! i have a day to think about it lol they want this sign up this weekend ASAP

See how much pressure you can apply to the sign where it is. Usually they are somewhat flimsy and will bow when you apply pressure. Look at it close see what it will take to get a blank out. Check both sides there may be an access side that is easier to get to. Depends on who manufactured it. I always just like working on the ground at a bench. It's just to difficult unless you are going up on scaffolding or a bucket truck to try and balance on a latter measure everything out and apply vinyl. Look at it and see. Just remember it is always better to let a job go and miss out a little as opposed to wrecking something and having to make a claim on your insurance. Especially just starting out its never good to damage something or make a huge impression in a negative. If it above your ability just let the customer know that you aren't equipped to handle a job of that magnitude yet. I have done that in the past and the customer is always more happy to have an honest up front answer then being put off and having to wait for you to make attempts just to show what you had already expected in the beginning. I have a local shop here that has a boom truck and I usually sub the install for something like that to him then we both make money but I know I can trust him to just go do the install and not try and snake the job from me. I send him work like that and every so often if he gets a really large order for dealer stickers or something he will call me up and have me run half or so to get them out the door sooner, and he understands I'm not going to contact his customers and under cut him. It works out very very well for both of us.

See how much pressure you can apply to the sign where it is. Usually they are somewhat flimsy and will bow when you apply pressure. Look at it close see what it will take to get a blank out. Check both sides there may be an access side that is easier to get to. Depends on who manufactured it. I always just like working on the ground at a bench. It's just to difficult unless you are going up on scaffolding or a bucket truck to try and balance on a latter measure everything out and apply vinyl. Look at it and see. Just remember it is always better to let a job go and miss out a little as opposed to wrecking something and having to make a claim on your insurance. Especially just starting out its never good to damage something or make a huge impression in a negative. If it above your ability just let the customer know that you aren't equipped to handle a job of that magnitude yet. I have done that in the past and the customer is always more happy to have an honest up front answer then being put off and having to wait for you to make attempts just to show what you had already expected in the beginning. I have a local shop here that has a boom truck and I usually sub the install for something like that to him then we both make money but I know I can trust him to just go do the install and not try and snake the job from me. I send him work like that and every so often if he gets a really large order for dealer stickers or something he will call me up and have me run half or so to get them out the door sooner, and he understands I'm not going to contact his customers and under cut him. It works out very very well for both of us.

The only thing i'm worried about is install

I'm good friends with the trailer park i live in and they have a front end loader

I have thought about asking them to raise me up there to do it.. and i have another

friend that has a sizer jack, like something you would change lights with, with like 30 feet ceilings

or.. i was just thinking about pulling my truck up to it and stand on that if she picked the lower 4 slots!

The bottom slot i can actually almost reach just by standing on the ground!

There isn't an apostrophe in Fantastic Sams.

In the OP, Seejay said -- Hello i got a job today for " Fantastic Sam's "

But you're right, they don't use the possessive apostrophe (I looked at their website)

If Kim was the name of the salon owner, it would be Kim's Hair Salon(s).

Or John's Sign Studios.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, time is of the essence here, if they want the lettering on their signs this weekend, SeeJay has to get going ASAP.

That includes preparing a graphics proof, getting it approved, making sure they are OK with non-translucent vinyl (no time to order that and have it delivered, unless he knows of a local supplier that he can go and pick it up from today) and probably the best thing is to just apply the decals right onto the sign faces as they are (not taking them out of the frame). Those signs aren't up very high, and appear to be reachable with a tall A-frame ladder (you can rent this at a local Home Improvement store).

mxz1.jpg

Guest Finishing Touch

The store front door looks good !

• Like 1

In the OP, Seejay said -- Hello i got a job today for " Fantastic Sam's "

But you're right, they don't use the possessive apostrophe (I looked at their website)

If Kim was the name of the salon owner, it would be Kim's Hair Salon(s).

Or John's Sign Studios.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, time is of the essence here, if they want the lettering on their signs this weekend, SeeJay has to get going ASAP.

That includes preparing a graphics proof, getting it approved, making sure they are OK with non-translucent vinyl (no time to order that and have it delivered, unless he knows of a local supplier that he can go and pick it up from today) and probably the best thing is to just apply the decals right onto the sign faces as they are (not taking them out of the frame). Those signs aren't up very high, and appear to be reachable with a tall A-frame ladder (you can rent this at a local Home Improvement store).

Okay good news.. Yes i can go pick up the vinyl only 20 miles from me.. i will have the translusent vinyl..

and even better news is - The trailer park i live in i have done work for and have lived here for many years since 1978 lol

They have 2 fork lifts, 1 front end loader to plow the streets with lol So the owner is going to put me up in the bucket of the bucket truck

to lift me up there to put the sign on !!! so, now i'm getting ready to get the customer my proof

http://www.twincitiesgraphix.com/Sign.pdf

is the file i sent her

So.. i think i got this big job all under control now! now i just have to get the vinyl home and hope my cutter wants to cut it lol !!!

The one on the left is 54 inch wide by 10.7 inch tall

The one on the right is 44 inch wide by 16 inch tall

That is not a "proof" -- that is called a "mock-up" --- and from the looks of it, the letters are all squished together, and what the heck is that COLOR? Fluorescent ?

However, it sounds like you have this all under control.

You'll get a few hundred bucks in your pocket, and add it to your portfolio.

Win-Win.

That is not a "proof" -- that is called a "mock-up" --- and from the looks of it, the letters are all squished together, and what the heck is that COLOR? Fluorescent ?

However, it sounds like you have this all under control.

You'll get a few hundred bucks in your pocket, and add it to your portfolio.

Win-Win.

I stepped down from this job..

She wanted me to take apart the sign and move pannels around so she could have the TOP PANEL and she wanted just the WHITE ONES

yes the mock up sorry.. not a proof.. and it was just a color .. not the color i was going to use lol

well i'm still going to finish doing there store front area for a few $ as well so .. its all good..

The panel will come out they are made to replace as new tenants move in and old ones move out . You may have to take a long section of retainer that holds other panels as well but just remove it slide out the lexan clean and apply your vinyl. My self if the job is any distance from the shop I use fold up tables and or saw horses with a sheet of mdf laid on top . with fuel this high makes sense to do on site but it is much easier out of the sign box .

Dan

This job turned into a version of the famous kids' game puzzle --

Logo.png