Sign in to follow this  
john!

running a business out of your garage

Hey everyone!

The time has come to move out of my apartment and into a house.

Now i'm pre-approved and all for the house but before i get anything else started i would like to know if the guys/girls here who work out of their homes/garages had any trouble getting licensed.

I work now out of an apartment in my town and am fully licensed to do so since nobody comes in my apartment like a store front. The house and garage is about 20 minutes away but is not in the town limits (different town).

I'm planning to call the County this week and see what all i need to do to transfer things and get legit in the new place but wanted to touch base with people in my position who have done this before.

I'm so excited because the garage isn't attatched to the house, it's about 50 feet away and has heat,ac and electric. :thumbsup:

Here comes a laminator and other goodies if it goes through  ;)

Thanks!

I worked out of a detached building for years,then here in the basement for the past 4. My local regulations permit the business...I think there is a restriction on how many cars I can have at one time (customer's cars).But that's about it. You can usually find the info on your town or county website.

As long as your equipment doesn't make a lot of noise, I don't think you will have a problem. The county I used to live in didn't have any restrictions at all...we didn't even have a building inspector. Counties are way easier than cities. They want that tax money.

Here in a residential area you have to get a variance from the zoning board.  Fairly straight forward you have to pay for a ad noting that you propose to conduct business from a area zoned residential and gives the neighbors a chance to oppose it.

Dan

check with your county...here there is a long list of home-based businesses that are allowed with no zoning variance. Barber shops,beauty shops..etc.

in Michigan I don't think you will have a problem just do the dba at the court house.

It depends on your township, where I am you have to pay a $35.00 for a home based business permit as well as the dba