Sign in to follow this  
bbreault

New Car Side Graphic and first Successful Sandblast. lol

Alright. Decided that the transformer idea on the side of the car was garbage because you couldnt tell what it was and it wasnt good enough for me. Soooo I completely redid it and this is where its at now. Personally I love it. After only 10 minutes(literally) I had someone asking me about it and if I could do something for them. Its awesome. Since then Ive had a few people ask and I love seeing peoples heads turn when I drive by now. lol.

IMG_2357.jpg

This is of the first successful sandblast. My first one I used a piece of vinyl that was already cut and when I went to sandblast it those pieces came up and I ended up sandblasting a part I didnt want to. So this time I used a good piece of Oracal 651 because Ive seen people using that if they dont have the sandblast resist vinyl. I noticed though that even though the vinyl was covering it there were still some spots where there are "dings" from sand. I didnt see anywhere that the sand got through the vinyl, could it have hit the vinyl hard enough to make that mark on the glass? Even so Ive shown a few people that and they liked it. I think Im going to try some mugs or cups. I used my works sandblaster for this. What are people using to do this? I saw there was a Master sanblasting airbrush....do people use that setup?

IMG_2383.jpg

If you're still damaging 651 while blasting, then something needs adjusted.  Maybe you're using the wrong blast media, or too much pressure.

What are you using?  Love the car by the way.  :thumbsup:

Love the car, not my style but excellent execution and creativity.  :thumbsup:

on the mirror, you are using to much pressure, or a too coarse media, and probably a combination of both.

If you are gonna be doing more sandblasting get some Aluminum Oxide, 220 grit is what I use for glass and pretty much anything else. Is not as cheap as sand but cuts better and can be reused several times.

Not diggin the lettering. The Line art is good

The lettering to me looks off as well.  Almost like the whole design was just overlayed on a photo in photoshop.  The design itself looks good, it just doesnt follow the body lines or moulding.

Lol. Of all things I would have thought that people would be commenting on the fact that the green and the black dont line up. The passenger side IS a little off. I was doing it by myself out in the wind and that made it quite difficult. The drivers side came out ALOT better. It does look like it was just superimposed on a photo though doesnt it.....well I can assure you its not. I wanted to get the lettering lined up with the center moulding on the doors and it is on the drivers side...but its not on the passengers side. So you are correct by saying that its a little off.......Sorry.

No need to apologize.  Design itself is nice! I was just giving my observations.  Sometimes its easier to see the flaws with a different/fresh pair of eyes.  Everything can make each of us better.  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is appreciated. Any tips or suggestions for sandblasting equipment? Id like to do mirrors and glasses so it would have to be decent sized or be able to be done outside of a cabinet....idk. Any ideas?

shoulda made the flowers green to go with your info, or make the info red so it matches.

also on the sandblast, you shouldnt get into the habit of one click vectorizing something and just leaving it that way, text doesnt vectorize all that well very often and its really obvious that is what you did there. you should just recreate the text at least.

Lol. Good eye. I did it like that because it was a practice piece. Ive recreated about 5 maltese crosses and none of them were a "one click" vector. I wasnt about to spend a bunch of time on designing a practice piece

oh and the lettering and flowers arent the same because when i mocked it up the lettering didnt stand out. And that was the point of it. To be like "hey this is who i am...and oh yeah i did that graphic too." they arent supposed to "match"

That is Awesome. I love the idea of the "Auto Tattoo". Great Job!

Guest debogus

On glass using cal vinyl,I only use 50psi and 60 grit( or finer)

And keep the nossle 45 degrees to the pc, at a fixed distance.

Above all else keep the nossle moving

Multiple copys and or complicated patterns use Photo resist.