Guest manwayvan

So I might have the opporunity to purchase a printer..Yeppy

Guest manwayvan

So a friend of a friend maybe selling their printer soon. No details as of yet on model or anything but I do know that it hasn't been out of service maybe a week or so but I will be asking a lot of questions soon as I get the call that they are ready to sell.

Guest manwayvan

Thanks alot..They said they give around 20,000 for it so small business loan here I come..lol So lets say all this goes through and I get it..What should be the first thing to print..lol I mean I bought a small Epson to try to print some decals but cant decide on what to cut lol...

Thanks alot..They said they give around 20,000 for it so small business loan here I come..lol So lets say all this goes through and I get it..What should be the first thing to print..lol I mean I bought a small Epson to try to print some decals but cant decide on what to cut lol...

Awesome!

Honestly i'd look into buying a brand new machine, I paid around $14k brand new for my SP300i. Has year warranty and came with training. Tech came to my house, set it up and trained me. Most include that into the price.

Guest manwayvan

I have thought about it a few times but there are so many options to choose from and I am not familiar with anything to do with printers(Guess thats another reason to grab a new one) plus I am assuming any printer will require you purchase a laminator also. God so much research involved..lol Plus I am afraid that my lack of graphical art master will keep me from producing quality prints..

Guest fivestar

I have thought about it a few times but there are so many options to choose from and I am not familiar with anything to do with printers(Guess thats another reason to grab a new one) plus I am assuming any printer will require you purchase a laminator also. God so much research involved..lol Plus I am afraid that my lack of graphical art master will keep me from producing quality prints..

You can pick up a "Big Squeegee" and laminate that way.  If you can get that printer for the "right price" than I'd go that way, once you find out make and model, post it here and I'm sure people will help you with what you need to know.

for 20K used that better be a nice top of the line printer

Yeah i agree, hell the new 64" Roland that prints white and metallic inks is only $26,500 brand new lol

Guest fivestar

I believe he said the owner gave 20K for it, not selling it for that much.  But man I'd LOVE to have the new 64" one.

I believe he said the owner gave 20K for it, not selling it for that much.  But man I'd LOVE to have the new 64" one.

Oh well, $26,500 isn't expensive at all for the new Roland IMO, i have the cash to buy it but it's just too damn big for my current work place lol

Only the big boys would purchase that because materials would be alot more expensive and you need to be pumping out some work to maintain it i'm sure

I done the same thing you done I wwent and bought a new 30" versacamm...gave 13-14k for it...Bought this one cause i was short on space and cash. In 6 months it wasnt big enough.... You will do the same. When you need to print a 3ft or 4ft banner it will itch away at you until you sell it and buy the 54" model... If you work it right you will have the cash in no time anyway...

Manwayvan

If you can swing it cash wise by the larger one. You will learn as you go. As far as design, just work at it or its its to big sub the design out...When you screw up a print you will remember why and not do it next time...

If you look around and search you can find a good deal on a printer... Just for what its worth I will just say I gave ALOT less for my VP540 than GUEST gave for his 30"

If your not set on a versacamm look into the printer fivestar got. heck of a deal. Just cause its more expensive doesnt mean its better in the printer world. If me and fivestar layed the same prints out in front of someone there would be no difference in quality. The newer ones are alittle faster, but when you show a customer their new logos/banners/decals, they dont care how long it took you to print it. They care about is the quality....

Oh well, $26,500 isn't expensive at all for the new Roland IMO, i have the cash to buy it but it's just too damn big for my current work place lol

Only the big boys would purchase that because materials would be alot more expensive and you need to be pumping out some work to maintain it i'm sure

I done the same thing you done I wwent and bought a new 30" versacamm...gave 13-14k for it...Bought this one cause i was short on space and cash. In 6 months it wasnt big enough.... You will do the same. When you need to print a 3ft or 4ft banner it will itch away at you until you sell it and buy the 54" model... If you work it right you will have the cash in no time anyway...

Manwayvan

If you can swing it cash wise by the larger one. You will learn as you go. As far as design, just work at it or its its to big sub the design out...When you screw up a print you will remember why and not do it next time...

If you look around and search you can find a good deal on a printer... Just for what its worth I will just say I gave ALOT less for my VP540 than GUEST gave for his 30"

If your not set on a versacamm look into the printer fivestar got. heck of a deal. Just cause its more expensive doesnt mean its better in the printer world. If me and fivestar layed the same prints out in front of someone there would be no difference in quality. The newer ones are alittle faster, but when you show a customer their new logos/banners/decals, they dont care how long it took you to print it. They care about is the quality....

Hey James, Are you saying you bought a brand new 54" machine for less than i bought my brand new i-series 30" for? They 54" are around $23k new...

Guest fivestar

Nope he's saying he bought a very nice used one for cheaper than you paid for your 30" brand new. 

Nope he's saying he bought a very nice used one for cheaper than you paid for your 30" brand new. 

Yeah but i mean i'd rather have a new machine so i have a warranty for the first year and it's the newest ones out. All preference i guess but the older Rolands had pump issues and head issues so those are supposed to be fixed in the new i series.

The vp and the I series have the same hardware. The i series just came with the rip profiles, which mine was updated with. My machine was less than a month old when i bought it. it still had 23 months left on the warranty...Guy bought it and died about 2 weeks later...I bought it...I couldnt tell it wasnt new when i get it up and running when it got here. and i got 10k in it....DELIVERED

And also, the 30" printer only carries a 1 year warranty while the 54" have 2 year warranties. IMO the 54" pros out weigh the 30". Just like James said, 30" printers are nice for sure, but you will soon get pissed that you have to sub out banners. And that is a HUGE money maker. If you take the price per sq ft. you will see that it comes out better than a car wrap. But I run into a lot of people wanting 4x8 banners and wouldn't be able to print with a 30".

Buying a brand new 30" from Roland I think could be a "dumb" move. For the price of it brand new you could get a hold of a very low hour vp540 and have a better printer, wider printing, and be happier.

Sure it's not "Brand new" but why do you need it to be? If they were maintained properly then it really doesn't matter. It's going to print the same brand new or used.

Search around, don't jump on the first thing you see. Ask lots of questions to the owner of the printer. And be careful for scams all over the net. If someone says they can't show you a test print, and i don't mean printing a logo. I mean printing a test pattern to make sure all nozzles are firing properly. They are not for real. Asking for a print out of the hours of use also helps. Best thing to do is see it in person.

Happy hunting! I know cause I still am.

Buying a brand new 30" from Roland I think could be a "dumb" move.

Well i guess i made a dumb move then but hey, i paid it off in cash no payments, no loan BS, no worries. I actually got it shipped to my door, had the tech come out all for $12k after talking with the salesman that i had cash ready to be transfered  ;)

I don't need the 54" right now because i do not do wraps, i don't offer banners either. Reason is it's so cut throat around here that it's not worth it. There is placed doing them for $4 psf retail so it's not worth my time IMO

Buying a brand new 30" from Roland I think could be a "dumb" move.

Well i guess i made a dumb move then but hey, i paid it off in cash no payments, no worries. I actually got it shipped to my door, had the tech come out all for $12k after talking with the salesman that i had cash  ;)

I wasnt saying that you made a dumb move. I did the same thing you did. But a 30" printer used is not worth as much as you think. The 14k you spent in 6 months you will be lucky to get 7-8k... when you want to upgrade.

How do i know this. Cause i just did it... sold it for 7k or 7500 cant remember...my 30"

Just like new cars. pay 20k drive them around the block and trade it back in for 12K... My opinion is if you see the test print and its good. then whats the difference between a new and a used machine. just how much you gotta spend....

I was just saying like this guy is gonna get a deal on a used printer. Used i feel is better in this situation, as long as the test print is good. That tells the whole story

guest, I never said it was a dumb move for you. I'm saying for this guy is could be a dumb move. The 30" gets you into printing, but leaves you wanting more. Just like cars, you want 500hp and you get it, then that's not enough. 30" is a great starting printer but EVERYONE i speak to wants to upgrade soon after that and lose their ass only 6 months later. I see VP-300's going for low 7's all day long now, you'll see them go for $12k, but often you see them either re-listed or repriced because people know what they are "worth". When I say worth, i don't mean dollar amount, I mean shop worth. Just because one person is offering them at 4sf doesn't mean you can't price higher. Usually cheap price means cheaper supplies used.

Guest manwayvan

Well thanks everyone for the insight but I finally have a list of the equipment in question. Any info on what you think would be a good offer would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping to get into this full time while I have the bank to do it. The pricing is their original purchase price. I believe the potential for client transfer is also there.

HP 5500 60" printer w/UV attachment    $17000

HP 500PS 42" printer  $6000

USI can't remember model # 40" laminator  $4200

Xante color printer C21 (Needs some parts)  $350

Paper hole drill 

4 6' tables

based on the original prices, sounds like 20K would be a good deal if that's what he is asking. What brand is the vinyl cutter?

its inkjet, is there as much aftermarket supplies ie material for an inkjet vs solvent? just asking cuz i have no idea as everyone always seems to be into the solvent/eco printers

JeremySi is correct i think. Its not solvent inks unless the converted it over. I know you said it has the uv stuff, I would look into the material prices and see what you can print on and if the prints will hold up outdoors.  Just my opinion i think 20K is way to high...I just typed the printer into google and found a couple for sale. The first one was $5999...The printer is the most expensive thing by far. SO your gonna pay 14k for the other petty stuff...

For 20k you can have a 54" versacamm,55" laminator, rolls of banner, vinyls , laminates, magnetic, coroplasts. and $800 in unopened inks.. 2 computers, 1 is a new laptop, desk, label maker for shipping,solid oak worktable, 5x8 with glass top and cutting mat, and all the other little stuff that goes along with it...way to much to list....

i WOULD SAY MAYNE THE 12-14K RANGE MIGHT BE OKAY DEPENDING ON THE TEST PRINTS,WARRANTY AND SO ON.