Sign in to follow this  
ainakeaboy

Shipping and handling costs

Hey everybody , Just opened up a decal business on ebay and was wondering

1- what would be the best way to ship 18"x12" Decals ?

2-Where would one go to buy the supplies ?

3-Around how much should the shipping cost from west coast to east ?

Any help on these subjects would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

if you ship via USPS.com priority mail they will send you all the free boxes/tubes you will need.

i would roll the 18x22 and ship in the 25" triangle tubes from usps.com

Good luck!

yeah, i use 4x6" envelopes, and 9x11" envelopes. whatever dosent fit in the bigger one goes in a tube.

use the FREE supplies from USPS.com

I use the envelopes and the tubes. Both are $4.90 (they dropped it $.5) and that's up to a decent weight anywhere in the USA

I use the envelopes and the tubes. Both are $4.90 (they dropped it $.5) and that's up to a decent weight anywhere in the USA

Prices changed as of 1/1/2010. Now prices vary by zone.

Jay

Prices changed as of 1/1/2010. Now prices vary by zone.

Jay

It's $4.90 anywhere in the USA..... https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000242&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000036&top=&currentPage=1&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000242

For the envelopes you want the FLAT RATE kind and the tubes you want the Priority Mail one. Only difference is the flat rate is $4.90 no matter how much is stuffed in there and the tubes start at $4.90 and go up by weight.

And they deliver it free to your house right ? Cause i just ordered from usps.com and my order was processed with no charges . Wohoooo !! Great shipping tips people .

And they deliver it free to your house right ? Cause i just ordered from usps.com and my order was processed with no charges . Wohoooo !! Great shipping tips people .

That's right. I just ordered 25 tubes and 25 envelopes, I'm getting low  :huh:

I just mailed (by way of the USPS) 2 decals (14.5 x 18") in a 15" Oracal box for $2.45. I didn't have any other boxes. Rolled em up, taped the box and done.

very true,  if you want to keep customers happy and the item is below 13oz, You can  ship First Class/ 19c delivery confirmation right from Paypal.  and it is very fast,  and your customers will be happy they aren't having to pay large shipping costs.  I do not use priority shipping for weights below 13oz.  Too expensive.  just my 2c

Yes it's cheaper but how consistent and cost effective is it? It's not.

My customers have had no issues with postage costs. If it's 9" and under it goes in a $.44 envelope, if it's over it goes in a $4.90 flat rate envelope. Simple.

Every time you get a order it's going to range so knowing exactly what it's going to cost so you don't lose money is important.

It is very cost effective,  thank you, I have never lost a penny on shipping.  And I only use First class package and Priority shipping.   and I have been selling on EBAY for 4 years now as a Powerseller and TOP RATED seller.  but that's just my 2c. 

It is very cost effective,  thank you, I have never lost a penny on shipping.  And I only use First class package and Priority shipping.  

To be honest, on first class you are basically guessing what it's going to cost. Forget all that calculate a shipment online because it's always going to vary. I've tried the scales and all that jazz when i first started and it never was effective once i sat down and did the numbers.

Flat rate shipping and free boxes to ship them in, you cannot beat that.

I see you ship on ebay which tells alot because ebay has too many low sales on it so your always racing to the bottom to beat other peoples low pricing. Doesn't matter to me, just giving the Original Poster valuable information that will go a long way in their business.

WOW   I must be better at numbers,    :thumbsup:

My orders are 100% custom and are medium to large sized anymore. Every once and a while i have someone order a small decal but mostly i ship things weighting 1-3lbs

On ebay i'm sure you can sell small orders and guess the shipping but on truly custom orders you cannot tell what something is going to weight if someone orders a large amount of graphics so i have it where i am covered if they do so plus why pay for shipping supplies when you can get them for free. All you have is your time and tape into the shipments.

I do very little  in small decals,  maybe 10 a week. Just to use up smaller pieces of vinyl.  My MAIN  business is custom fullside vehicle graphics/stripes    20" 28" up to  16ft. length,     So I do know the business.   And I don't pay for shipping boxes, since the post office provides the tubes,,  and it takes me about  a  minute to make a cardboard envelope for decals  14" x 12" and smaller  that lay flat, ..Gosh,  I can make that while the decal is cutting.   Shipped first class package.  which don't cost anything either but a minute of time,  and that customer has more money to purchase more from me,  than the money going to the post office,   and that is very cost effective, at least for me.  

Has anyone ever used stamps.com? Opinions? Good, bad or indifferent?

Never used Stamps, but have been using Endicia.com, a similar service for about 6 years.  I'm very pleased with them.

i buy regular envelopes, 6x9 and 10X13 from sams club, have large boxes of them. anything longer than that i cut off part of a long shipping tube and roll it up, only cost a couple bucks. guest, dunno why you use the post offices supplies, you think you get them for free but i can guarantee you the cost of them is made up in raising the shipping for them. go on ebay and buy a bundle of shipping tubes, you will save money in the end, believe me.

Jeremy ,

I also think there is no such thing as a " free lunch "  :thumbsup: . The price is built into it somewhere .  :thumbsup:

The post office offers free shipping supplies to encourage you to use their service. I really don't think they are raising the rates to pay for it. They know that UPS and FedEX are kicking their ass on shipping and are desparate to keep shipping business.

A 2' shipping tube costs me about $2.00... the same from the post office is free.

If the package weighs less than a pound (which it often does) I ship via USPS for under $5. I can't remember the last time I shipped anything UPS for less than $5..to anywhere. It doesn't take a genius to do that math.

It is definitely a better deal using USPS on many things . If i went into the post office & asked for free shipping products , get handed them & walk out the door to do with them as I please , I would call that free shipping supplies . I would call supplies given when using their service as supplied at no extra cost . I know some stores sell products at below cost to improve business . I know the shipping company business is fierce with competition . Anybody know how does DHL compares ?

your not saving ANY money by buying supplies on ebay because your CUSTOMER PAYS SHIPPING not you, so who cares. $4.90 which is what priority is now is reasonable on all orders.

your not saving ANY money by buying supplies on ebay because your CUSTOMER PAYS SHIPPING not you, so who cares. $4.90 which is what priority is now is reasonable on all orders.

and i pay only a couple bucks on priority  :thumbsup: