OZZIEIMAC

ADVICE : SHOP FRONT GLASS WINDOW INTERNAL VINYL

Hello All,

Hope everyone has had a great x-mas & a great start to 2009 !

As a newbie i need some advice ,my cousin is opening a new hairdressing salon and wants me to apply a vinyl sign to the shop front glass window.

Can you advise me on the following :

1) What is the vinyl type you should use for applying vinyl from the inside of the glass to be seen from the outside?

2) Should this  vinly sign be put on wet ?

3) What brand is better suited for these types of application .

p.s THIS IS MY FIRST SHOP FRONT SIGN.......... :D

Appreciate your advice,

Cheers,

PJ

Welcome to Forum.

First, you can apply vinyl lettering from inside or from outside.

You have mentioned you are a rookie so I would advice you to install it from out side (to avoid bubbles be so visible)

You can use Oracle 651 (has 6 years outdoor life span) or Oracle 751 (longer outdoor life span and also better vinyl)

Wet application is always better way to do it. On cold weather use Rapid tack 2 (helps vinyl to stick to glass on cold weather)

Good luck

I have done 2 storefronts so far....and have always used Oracal 651, YES applied wet...and I'm not sure where you live, but if it's cold...I suggest Rapid Tac II...to make the installation ALOT faster!  :D  I learned that the hard way earlier this winter.

Congrats on your first store front, take your time...and be sure to mirror your vinyl if you are applying it inside the front glass.

Thanks Guys for the speedy response.You guys are a great knowledge database ,pricless....... :D

Having the vinyl on the inside of the glass faceing out would'nt it last longer ?

And it would look nicer?

Also can all Oracal 651 be stuck on window face forward?

I noticed glue on one side  of the vinly on the 651 i have at the moment ? Or is their another Oracal 651 that is designed for applying face out ?

Oh i am from Melbourne Australia.Its summer right now ...

Appreciate your feedback and my lack of knowledge...

Cheers,

PJ

Definitely go wet.

If you're installing on the inside, then don't forget what Jen suggested - Mirror your graphic/text so that its backward. If you install on the outside, then no mirroring is necessary, and it should hide any air bubbles better. As for which lasts longer, I think that it probably wouldn't differ a whole lot - depending on weather conditions on the exterior- but don't take my word for it.

Use at least 751 and do it outside. Be sure the glass is very clean I use denatured alcohol to clean. If you put it on the inside there is a couple of situations one is if the glass has any tint to it a lot of commercial windows have a slight tint, also when the lettering is on the inside you get the glare of the glass that makes it hard to see.

If you do it wet just be patient with it when peeling the mask it might take several passes with a squeegee and a little time to dry. And like above if you are in cold temps use rapid tac II or do it dry.

I ran into a situation awhile back where the building owner wouldn't allow anything on the outside of the windows,but was OK with the inside. YOu better check on this.

Hello All,

Once again guys you have all been a great help.I'm just getting the artwork together and then i will put this whole thing to the test.My cousin cant decide on the font type ,what can i say.........

Will try and get some photos when all done ,this first job will be a team effort from everyone who gave advice so wish me luck because i am doing this for the team.......lol  :thumbsup:

Until my next road block ........ ;D

Chat Soon,

Cheers,

PJ  :P