lexiprice

I need some help starting a home business

I would like to do something akin to the 'wall words' type business from my home. I have a lot of ideas of things I can do with a vinyl cutter, but as this is my first time trying anything of the sort, I'm very very nervous. I don't have a lot of money, and I really can't risk losing. I have a child with autism, and much of what I'm going to be doing will relate to earning money for that and to raise awareness.

That being said, what would the best cutter be for me? Is it a lot of money to start up- with the vinyl and all? has anyone else here done this? Is there someone from Western Washington that is already doing this and would like some help?

Also, has anyone cut cardstock with a vinyl cutter? Does it work? I'd like to be able to use it for my scrapbooking and card making too.

If anyone could  find it in their heart to help me with this, I would really really appreciate this. I'm excited to get started and really need a way to earn a little extra. Thanks a bunch!

lexi

I too wondered about the cardstock.  I guess I'll sit over here with you & wait on an answer.

Guest fivestar

I haven't personally cut cardstock, but I have seen others post on here about doing it.  As for your business start-up cost, you could do it for $500.00 easily for everything you'd need.

There is a lot of help on the internet about starting a business but, you MUST make a business plan.  The plan needs to include things like:

- What do I need to buy

- Where is my workspace and storage

- How  will I market - ads, phonebook, flyers, friends, internet - how much to spend

- How will I learn machine/software/application/installation

- How will I deliver

- Can I set fixed/dedicated hours

- What licensing/tax issues

-.........and much more

Equally important is CAN I do my plan? 

I agree with fivestar's $500 for cutter & startup supplies.  But your marketing would need to be almost free like, word-of-mouth or flyers. 

If you intend it to be a business, you must treat it like a business, not a hobby.  Including record keeping, professional quality work, communications/marketing skills, and realistic timeframe.    Don't "count" on internet sales unless you have a way for people to find you amoung the many. 

Best of luck and fortune. 

Regis

wow, you guys are FAST!

What would I need? What would be a good cutter to use? This is just a simple home business, cutting signs for friends and whatnot to supplement our income. I'm thinking a 24" cutter- would I have to buy software as well? I'm so lost. Thanks for replying. I had no idea who to go to for this. I don't know anyone who has ever done this before.

Thanks.

Lexi

I posted that at the same time as the previous reply. Thanks for the great input. It really really helps.

US Cutter has some great prices on various cutters for any price range.  All with wonderful results.

If you look there is a thread on places to get some free vinyl, to practice with.  This forum is a wealth of information and support, you definitely have found the perfect place to get started.

Many who have done wall words use Oracal 631 I believe, it has a matte finish and the work has turned out beautifully.

Ask as many questions as you need, there is always someone here to help out.

Software does come with your cutter, if you are ordering one thru US Cutter.  The support here is second to none!!

Welcome aboard and I wish you the very best in your business venture.

Jenny

Guest fivestar

I recommend the Refine series, as a matter of fact I own 2 of them.

Like FiveS said, the refine would be perfect for what you're looking to do. You can find wall vinyl online for as cheap as $13 for a 15"x10yrd roll in the Oeacal 631.

Go to www.thesignexpert.com for some good starter information. There is one section that lists everything someone needs to start a true business(although you could probably get away with just getting 3/4 of the stuff listed). There's also links to pricing guides for signs, banners, etc.

Best of luck to you!! If you get stuck, there's 99% of a chance that someone from here can help you out with an answer or solution.  ;D

how good is that pricing calculator?  is it high, low? 

It seems to be a bit on the high side, but there ain't nothing wrong with that!!!  :)

Can't help with pricing and while advertising can be expensive, you might consider FREE wall art for local businesses. Visit first and note their style and colors, then go home and practice. Make something to go high up above their racks so it doesn't take space from their merchandise. Put one on your wall, take photos, then show it to them. (You can peel it off your walls and replace it with the next when you're ready.) Chances are, most small business owners would love the personal touch for their boutiques. All you want in exchange is to leave some brochures or cards for them to pass on to their customers. (Vista Prints does some free cards with shipping to get you started.) With luck, your wall art might be so attractive they want more for their shops and will be willing to pay for them. At the least, your work is out their for the public to see and unlike a newspaper ad, it won't be thrown away tomorrow.

Don't forget health and beauty salons, dry cleaners, doctor's offices, and real estate agents. If you have family members who own businesses, ask them first.

I am also new and on a very small advertising budget. I advertise on kijiji. You can post an ad for your area with pics. I have been getting atleast 2 jobs per week this way. Good luck Bruce

This has been a tremendous help for me!  Thanks for all the info!

I saw a note about vistaprint - be careful with them - I'm fighting a dispute going on 6 months for erroneous charges to my credit card - and I've found several others that are doing the same.  If you're going to order from them, I highly recommend the single use MC from paypal - they can't charge any fees later.  Some of the fees that were charged to my card were for a "membership fee" and were charged using a different company - so I'm technically fighting charges from 2 companies.  Pain in the patookas.  I was very careful not to have any special offers, memberships, etc checked.  The product is decent if you go into it with eyes wide open.

Good luck Lexi starting your new business.  I started mine in May when the company I worked for foir 15 years did a roll over.  I just completed our local county fair and received a ton of business plus passed out over 500 business cards.  So that might be an option for you.

As far as the cardstock for scrapbooking goes this is how I do it.  Take a piece of vinyl backing (you know the part you just throw in the garbage?)and give it a light coating of spray adhesive and put your cardstock on it so it sticks.  Put it in your machine and cut away.  I always clean my blade afterwards.

Jackie

OOoh, that's another thing I could try

I bought the cricket 12x12 cutting mat. it's PERFECT~ it's tacky so it holds the paper down. And it was cheap. It's like $10 for two. I've already used it several times.

Now I'm trying to figure out pricing for vinyl wall art. any suggestions?

Don't forget health and beauty salons, dry cleaners, doctor's offices, and real estate agents. If you have family members who own businesses, ask them first.

Churches are great too.  Donate a Bible verse for their wall (less than $5.00 in materials) in exchange for a mention in their bulletin.    I picked up 2 good size business accounts that way, plus the church ordered more verses for their meeting rooms.

Hi Lexi-

Which cutter did you decide to go with?  I'm looking for something to do wall words and such as well as cut cardstock for scrapbooking.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Amber

You can do a search on the net to get an idea. Thats what I do.

Hi Lexi  I'm starting a new business too..Am very excited about it.  Your a step ahead of me, havnt bought my cutter yet. everything is still in research stage because of money issues..Love this forum..Its helped me make decisions and avoid pit falls I didnt know were out there.  Good luck

I use these for cutting paper items:

http://www.amazon.com/Cricut-29-0386-12-Inch-Cutting-Measurement/dp/B0010EUX6Q

I purchased mine at Michael's using the 40% off coupon I get every month to get them for about $7 for two.

I believe there's also a few blogs related to making your own with plastic and tacky glue but I don't use them enough to warrant making my own.

RG