cardudenc

cutting mylar

so I did  search. most newer post weren't answered. I did find an older 1 which most responses was no 1 had tried to cut mylar before. well im looking to cut it for the same reason that I saw most have posted asking about. making stencils. with our other biz chalk painting is big part. we paint furn or sell everything to DIY. so the wife ordered a few stencils from 1 of our suppliers, guess she didn't like using the 1s I cut from vinyl since it was hard to have something reusable , sometimes I was careful and got more than 1 out of vinyl, but it isn't going to be like the mylar 1s. I haven't measured what we have yet. but im planning on trying the 4 mil. so anyone have any info/tips

Ok, so I had to go look up mylar stencils. When I, and probably most people, think Mylar, I think mylar balloons or mylar blankets, thin shinny material. Cutting that on a cutter would be virtually impossible I think. However, from what I can tell, they type of mylar you are talking about is more of a thin plastic or a thick film rather than the shinny stuff I'm thinking of.

At 4 mil you shouldn't have too much trouble. standard vinyl is around 2.5 mil so increasing the pressure, adjusting the blade depth, and possibly making 2 passes should get you a decent cut. The next question though, does the material have a sticky back and come on a carrier sheet. If it does you should be good. If it does not, you'll need some sort of carrier sheet to attach the mylar to in order to feed it into your cutter. If you try to cut without a backing material or carrier sheet you'll ruin your cutting strip, not get a good cut, and waste your material.

yes, and I think that's y most use the cheap hobby cutters wal mart sells for this since most us a mat to hold the material for the cutter

You can buy those mats individually and use them with your cutter. If they're not big enough you could try making your own. Get some poster board and a light adhesive, cover the board, apply the mylar and hope for the best. ::)

I have cut mylar stencils using a piece of clear app tape as a substrate. You could probably layer a couple pieces of paper app tape to get a little more body to the backing if you don't have clear. The clear is not all that stiff anyway but the mylar is stiff enough that it worked fine for me. 

actually prob have the perfect app tape for it. lol I think I  posted about it in some of my 1st post when I was listing my newbie mistake.  I have a clear I bought off amazon and with my 1st attempt lettering a commercial vehicle, tried wet apply and his phone # is still on my shop fridge, app tape and all. lol

• Like 1