Primal Decals

Really Dumb question regarding paint and vinyl

I have a customer who wants me to just paint over his old vinyl sign material without removing the vinyl and add new vinyl over the top once its dried. I dont know why but thats his request. is it possible or will the paint make it worse or be bad juju, i wouldnt do it but its money and i would let him know now of possible bad outcome that could happen or possibly happen .. 

thats what i thought. i told him i dont suggest it , but he said if i didnt do it then he would find someone who would..

Ok sometime we have to save the customer from themselves ! I would nicely ask him what he is trying to accomplish by doing this?( Probably save money)

Then advise against it, because I know its his money and the customer is always right but, when it going badly and it most likely will its your name on the line. He should understand that if not tell him you will remove the old for free and put a little more in the install price.

I would do it and have him sign a waiver knowing you told him the circumstances doing this way and he has no right to legal action if the sign does start fail or something on the terms. Or try and make him come to his senses or just plainly walk away.

Ok sometime we have to save the customer from themselves ! I would nicely ask him what he is trying to accomplish by doing this?( Probably save money)

Then advise against it, because I know its his money and the customer is always right but, when it going badly and it most likely will its your name on the line. He should understand that if not tell him you will remove the old for free and put a little more in the install price.

Thanks guys. I have only done one job so far dealing with paint and i felt it was a bad thing to even attempt lol.. So i will advise him to do it the correct way other wise it will bite him in the rear...Me personally wouldnt ever do a short cut on a job but when the customer wants it HIS way lol .. This was going to be a really huge job and sucks i couldnt get him to do it correctly. 1 sign was 10 feet tall by 45' long and another was 8 feet by 25 feet long..

• Like 1

QUOTE> "he said if i didn't do it (paint over the existing vinyl) then he would find someone who would.. "

Tell him to do just that.

(or, alternately, commit yourself to being just another face in the

vinyl crowd; without principle and willing to do anything for a buck.)

• Like 6

Hey now there's no need for name calling. I only do what I can make money at :)

• Like 1

I didn't call any names... I described an activity I try and avoid.

And note the word "Anything".

I work for money too but, it doesn't control my decisions.

My work ethics and principles are mostly responsible for that.

You folks get to make up your own.

If money is your main objective, then go for it.

Seriously, your client is just next in line. There will be another after him.

• Like 1

If it's legal I do it but that is not to so I don't explain the risk and try to lead them down the right path.

Thanks guys. I have only done one job so far dealing with paint and i felt it was a bad thing to even attempt lol.. So i will advise him to do it the correct way other wise it will bite him in the rear...Me personally wouldnt ever do a short cut on a job but when the customer wants it HIS way lol .. This was going to be a really huge job and sucks i couldnt get him to do it correctly. 1 sign was 10 feet tall by 45' long and another was 8 feet by 25 feet long..

Don't be a hypocrite. If you would never do it then don't......

Tell him you value your work and the reputation of your company.  

• Like 1

Im not a hypocrite. i dont have enough experience to know enough regarding paint material thats why i asked for help but i felt it wasnt right. and i thank those who gave advice and not throw names at me for not knowing enough knowledge...

• Like 1

As they say, "$20 is $20"... 

In all honesty, I wouldn't do it. I would just politely tell him that you wont do it. I understand that it may be a first big customer or big project but you can either lose this one customer and maybe one of his friends for not doing the job or you can do the job, get a little money but lose far more money and future customers who will see the job done and it failing (Most likely will from just the idea, not your skills) which they will ask who did it, he will say its you, and that is someone who wont come to you. The work you show, whether yours or someone else's is far more important than anything else you do.

Hope that helps. Just my opinion though.

Out here, we have turned from many people wanting odd stuff. We usually recommend them to our competitor company. Works pretty good.

What is it made out of? Seems like painting would require some prep work anyway. I don't understand what he thinks he's saving.

Is it meant to be permanent? I assume it is, but if it's advertising an event that takes place next month, that's different.

Im not going to do it. its not worth the hassle for what he is trying to save and the time it would take to do it for cost . It was a permanent sign at Our local airport and helicopter hanger. The larger sign 10'x45' faces the main runway strip for the larger airport for when people fly in  and the smaller sign 8'x25' was for when regular walk-in customers come to the heli side for tours etc..

Im not a hypocrite. i dont have enough experience to know enough regarding paint material thats why i asked for help but i felt it wasnt right. and i thank those who gave advice and not throw names at me for not knowing enough knowledge...

Might want to reread what I typed...

Never called you a name and gave you pretty sound advice that'll take you far in the business world.  

Value your work

Value your time

Value your reputation.

• Like 2