Sign in to follow this  
7lHd

Tangential Emulation Cutting into Shapes

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Tangential Emulation with Signcut where the shapes are being cut into instead of the weeds (see pics).

This seems to happen when there are multiple shapes within an object to be cut.

Does anyone know if there is a setting where I can adjust where the emulation is cut from?

Thanks!

Phil

The black shape to be cut. Inner shape to be weeded:

Tangential2

Tangential Emulation cuts the top small circle correctly, but is cutting into the bottom of the shape (at base of anchor)

Tangetial1

That's what Tangential Emulation is supposed to do... assist the blade with overcutting in  the corners and acute angles.

Perhaps you need to turn off that feature or at least make the Lead-in shorter?

As far as I know, those are the only adjustments SignCut offers...

whether to use Tangential Emulation and the Lead-in length.

I believe you should only be using the length of you blade offset as a lead in. You wouldn't see something that tiny. If I remember correctly this is only going to do anything at the very start and end of a cut so there really isn't a way to get what a true tangential cutter can do without the investment. Emulation mode is more of a marketing strategy that is all the rage but in reality doesn't account for much. 

Though I don't use it, I was under the impression that The Emulation software lifted the blade (instead of dragging it)

in those tight corners. This would seem to actually be of some use, particularly with heavier materials. 

I do understand the marketing strategy at work here as well as some of the advantages of a TRUE Tangential machine.

My question is where in everyday operation would you actually need it? I ask because I have never had a need yet and I do all kinds of material here.

If it worked as advertised, I can see it being of some use if you were having problems with material lifting in acute corners,

especially with smaller cuts.

I see. I just slow my cutter down. Does the same thing with a properly set blade. I was just curious because I'm pretty sure this q75 I bought has actual emulation but I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Same here... haven't had any problem to warrant using the emulation.

Sidenote: Almost bought a Q75 right before I spotted my Graphtec for sale.

Seem to be great machines as well.

Same as the FC series graphtec but with different chipset so it won't work with graphtec drivers. I think this is my 7th cutter and it is a beast.

• Like 2

Though I don't use it, I was under the impression that The Emulation software lifted the blade (instead of dragging it)

in those tight corners. This would seem to actually be of some use, particularly with heavier materials. 

I do understand the marketing strategy at work here as well as some of the advantages of a TRUE Tangential machine.

You may be correct but I thought the cutter had to have the ability within it's own computer, maybe SignCut is compensating somehow. My Summa does emulation but I don't mess with it.

I may be mistaken but I thought plotters with True, mechanical Tangential capabilities could actually lift and turn the blade to the next direction....

Emulation software does the next best thing which is, have the plotter lift the blade on the sharp turns before starting in the next direction.

Now, how it quantifies how acute the angle is or gets the blade to change direction, I do not know the specifics.

I understand that it over-cuts slightly and perhaps that re-tracing/ re-direction gives the blade time and a cut space to turn around? 

Can't say I know that much about it... I could do some research but, I don't have problems that it would address so, I'm not too interested.

I imagine some of it is hype.

I had an interest in the Summa 160T - its a true tangential cutter- It literally lifts, and re-directs the blade to the next direction- theres a video on you tube somewhere.

Cool - but even for small work I am not sure how necessary it is.probably better for sanblast and thick stuff with detail.

• Like 1

Jburns, I looked at that cutter too. Real cool but hard to justify for what I do so i settled for the drag knife version. I wonder if there are more wear issues on something like that where the computer actually steers the angle of the blade as it cuts. 

All this talk and nobody has chimed in that uses it on a regular basis other than the op. I'll keep on cutting old school, less problems that way.

• Like 1

My cutter has it, but I have never had a reason to even mess with it....I have never tried it..  My cutter cuts great just the way it is, dragging the blade.

• Like 3

All this talk and nobody has chimed in that uses it on a regular basis other than the op. I'll keep on cutting old school, less problems that way.

That's why I think it's more Hype than anything. In fact I think it was the Summa techies that told me that in the first place when I was getting my new machine online and asked them about it.

• Like 1

May be handy in thick sandblast material but I never cut that.

A couple years ago, a decal seller  on Ebay was saying in his ads, his  decals were all done with Tangential Emulation, like it was the greatest thing out there.  No others were doing it.  Like it was a new invention, and he was the only one doing it, or had it..  He was putting other sellers down , because they had just plain ol' cutters  LOL 

Funny thing is you know some people believe everything they read.

Thanks for the feedback people.

I believe you should only be using the length of you blade offset as a lead in. You wouldn't see something that tiny. If I remember correctly this is only going to do anything at the very start and end of a cut so there really isn't a way to get what a true tangential cutter can do without the investment. Emulation mode is more of a marketing strategy that is all the rage but in reality doesn't account for much. 

This was great info. Setting the lead in length to the blade offset worked a charm.

I don't have the greatest vinyl cutter and I find that using the Tangential Emulation in conjunction with some extra over-cut is great to get the blade pointing in the right direction for very detailed graphics and small font.

Cheers,

Phil

• Like 1

I use it on all my thick material and thinner material. go to the 4:40 mark. I cut a lot of rhinestone sticky flock and flock material.  with rhinestones you need to either stay with one supplier or have a good cutter with overcut and tangential mode cause your circles has to be completely round or it will be hard to weed.

when I cut with it all my circles stay on the paper when I pull off the template I just cut. 

Aloha

I cut 129y with cheap china 60 degree blades every week with titan2.

This is for monument lettering, so the fonts are 1/2" and larger.

I dialed in the over cut and i set my blade everytime.

I know mainstream monument biulders that don't bother with Tangential emulation.

one thing about the blade holder for titan2, it doesnt hold where i set the blade

so i check it often. I think the brass lock ring with aluminum barrel is the problem.