gcextreme

Reselling trademarked stuff.

Also the guy at Kmart that was selling me the display racks said they are tax exempt because they are used in the direct selling of the clothing. A garbage can wouldnt be used as such...so im not sure if that guy was right or not. But its what he does for a living..he travels and closed and sells the stores. I bought racks from him at one store and then another a few weeks later.

an LLC is not a resale licence - that is separate issued by the sate - and a LLC is very limited in protecting you - your assets are still at risk not just those owned by the company in some cases.  good luck.  my head hurts

• Like 1

Heres what im curious about. Did that thrift store buy that shirt from Walmart or did they buy it from the same or different distributor?

If they are buying it from walmart, they are supporting their competiton and committing fraud to their customers.

People always say support the small shops...but what if theyare just buying from the big Walmart anyways!

an LLC is not a resale licence - that is separate issued by the sate - and a LLC is very limited in protecting you - your assets are still at risk not just those owned by the company in some cases.  good luck.  my head hurts

I thought an LLC protected my personal stuff from my company stuff??

And stop hitting your head on the brick wall and it wouldnt hurt.

Heres what im curious about. Did that thrift store buy that shirt from Walmart or did they buy it from the same or different distributor? If they are buying it from walmart, they are supporting their competiton and committing fraud to their customers. People always say support the small shops...but what if theyare just buying from the big Walmart anyways!

Those shirts could have been given to them free,  and has nothing to do with Fraud... Maybe Walmart donated them to the thrift shop...and wrote it off.  You have no clue where the thrift shop got their items... Especially if it is a church  thrift shop.   

Yes to a large degree, the LLC protects you personally.

So, you really wanna get out there and compete with wal-mart?

I suggest you make a worthy product with your own mark on it and leave all these worrys behind.

• Like 1

My $0.02 on trademarked goods.

1) Don't reproduce trademarked names & logos. Don't say, It's easy money, Other people are doing it, Maybe they won't catch me.

2) Don't alter logos thinking it's legal. Like taking the Harley logo & replacing the text with some other name.

3) If you make & list trademarked goods on Ebay/Amazon/Etsy/etc. you will eventually get your items removed and most likely be suspended from the site.

4) Big companies with profitable trademarks can and will sue anyone at anytime for anything.

• Like 2

it is called a LIMITED liability corporation for a reason - it is limited, accountant friend said it is very limited.

Those shirts could have been given to them free,  and has nothing to do with Fraud... Maybe Walmart donated them to the thrift shop...and wrote it off.  You have no clue where the thrift shop got their items... Especially if it is a church  thrift shop.   

True...but when i say thrift shop, i dont mean "used", its a downtown merchant store, selling tons of stuff, mainly womens clothing and nicknacks, but in the far corner, is a guy's section with shirts, must be a way to target the guys that get dragged in there by their females.

Yes to a large degree, the LLC protects you personally.

So, you really wanna get out there and compete with wal-mart?

I suggest you make a worthy product with your own mark on it and leave all these worrys behind.

it is called a LIMITED liability corporation for a reason - it is limited, accountant friend said it is very limited.

Yeah i understood it as keeping my business assets and my personal stuff separate, so if i got sued they couldnt come after my personal stuff...

My $0.02 on trademarked goods.

1) Don't reproduce trademarked names & logos. Don't say, It's easy money, Other people are doing it, Maybe they won't catch me.

2) Don't alter logos thinking it's legal. Like taking the Harley logo & replacing the text with some other name.

3) If you make & list trademarked goods on Ebay/Amazon/Etsy/etc. you will eventually get your items removed and most likely be suspended from the site.

4) Big companies with profitable trademarks can and will sue anyone at anytime for anything.

And no im not trying to compete with walmart, and i am working on my own unique stuff, i have no intentions of reselling such trademarked items, i was just curious about how this small store downtown was doing it.

Here's a real life buy from Walmart and resell story.

Walmart had Halloween costumes 90% off so I bought a bunch and resold them on Amazon for full price. These were costumes like Transformers, Spider-man, etc.

Nothing illegal about that. As long as you are selling legally produced & obtained good, then there isn't a problem. The trademark holder was paid by the license holder to produce the goods, Walmart paid the license holder, I paid Walmart, & somebody paid me.

• Like 3

GC... no disrespect intended but it's sounds like you are going to end up being one of those folks we read about,

in trouble with the law for violating someone's copyright or trademark.

You seem to be a trying to walk too close to the line.

For What?

Think about it... you wanna make money off someone elses efforts.

Again, I suggest you do your own work and don't worry about what other folks are doing.

Sorry, just my 2 cents. I'm done.

• Like 2

Yeah i understood it as keeping my business assets and my personal stuff separate, so if i got sued they couldnt come after my personal stuff...

And no im not trying to compete with walmart, and i am working on my own unique stuff, i have no intentions of reselling such trademarked items, i was just curious about how this small store downtown was doing it.

Well, then why aren't you asking THEM?   They are the only one's with the REAL answer to your question....  I'm done here also..

• Like 1

Well then why aren't you asking them?   They are the only one's with the REAL answer to your question....

Well the owner wasnt there, and two, last time i talked to someone about this stuff, they got really pissed. I was at my chapter's bike show, and a guy was selling and doing custom painted gas tanks, with Spiderman, Greenbay packers, Batman, etc.

GC... no disrespect intended but it's sounds like you are going to end up being one of those folks we read about,

in trouble with the law for violating someone's copyright or trademark.

You seem to be a trying to walk too close to the line.

For What?

Think about it... you wanna make money off someone elses efforts.

Again, I suggest you do your own work and don't worry about what other folks are doing.

Sorry, just my 2 cents. I'm done.

Read my previous post...i have no intentions of doing such....i was curious how this small shop downtown was selling the same Ford Racing stuff that walmart has...thats it.

You think it's complicated try reading the front of the sanmar catalog about what you can and can't do with the shirts you buy depending on what brand they are. Buying and reselling is one thing but any alterations change the whole dynamic of the license.

As long as the license was legally obtained by one or more companies that produce the legal merchandise. Its no different than you buying a shirt or hat then reselling on ebay. I deal with a transfer company that sells ford and chevy t-shirt transfers I had to sign a release form put out by Ford, Chevy and the company stating I would make sure I put them on high quality shirts, I don't sell the transfers, the images as clip art, and I cant modify the images.

Well the owner wasnt there, and two, last time i talked to someone about this stuff, they got really pissed. I was at my chapter's bike show, and a guy was selling and doing custom painted gas tanks, with Spiderman, Greenbay packers, Batman, etc.

Because it is none of your business...  If you think they are in violation, contact the police..  Simple as that....   Just like vendors are not going to tell who their suppliers are....  

You think it's complicated try reading the front of the sanmar catalog about what you can and can't do with the shirts you buy depending on what brand they are. Buying and reselling is one thing but any alterations change the whole dynamic of the license.

And you want me to order from them?

I think everyone in the graphics industry has been at least been tempted at one point in time to reproduce trademarked goods. Not saying anyone here has or would.

It frustrates me when I see a trailer at a state fair selling vinyl decals of every trademarked logo under the sun, or a stupid RV with decals plastered all over it that is setup for a few days in a parking lot doing the same thing.

Because it is none of your business...  If you think they are in violation, contact the police..  Simple as that....   Just like vendors are not going to tell who their suppliers are....  

hmm... u just asked my why i didnt ask them, then you told me cuz its none of my business...how hypocritical.

you wanted me to ask them, but then you say not to cuz its not my business...im confused.

I think everyone in the graphics industry has been at least been tempted at one point in time to reproduce trademarked goods. Not saying anyone here has or would.

It frustrates me when I see a trailer at a state fair selling vinyl decals of every trademarked logo under the sun, or a stupid RV with decals plastered all over it that is setup for a few days in a parking lot doing the same thing.

they are mobile....u can't catch them, lol..

i wonder if jiffyshirts has the same thing??

hmm... u just asked my why i didnt ask them, then you told me cuz its none of my business...how hypocritical.

you wanted me to ask them, but then you say not to cuz its not my business...im confused.

They answered you with a correct answer... So you did ask... It is none of your business.  I would answer the same..  Have you filed a police report?  Have these people been arrested and convicted?   My guess would be no....

Actually their answer wasn't correct, they said it was their artwork and they owned the copyright, i told the guy, "So you own the copyright to the playboy bunny"....then i said, well why dont you paint a Harley Davidson logo on a tank and show it to the Harley Davidson guys in the booth right next to you, and i walked away.

Cuz literally, it was that guys booth, then the local Harley booth, then my booth....

And i know the owner of the local Harley dealership, if he was there and had seen a custom painted harley logo gas tank being sold, he would have made it his business.