motoxchic

Dont want to end up with a sitting press!

So, I have been reading through lots of stuff on heat presses.  I originally bought an SC cutter, and within 3 months upgraded to a Graphtec.  Now my SC sits until I can get it sold :|  I am guessing I might be in the same position if I buy an inexpensive press?  I am looking at the Hotronix Fusion ($1850), Auto Open Clam ($1450) or MAXX ($1050).  OR I could spend a few hundred dollars on a starter press.  I MOSTLY want this for our company stuff, however, I also said that when I bought my cutter, and I have stayed pretty busy as word got around.

So, help me make my decision...will I be upgrading quickly if I buy a starter model?  And between Auto Open Clam  or MAXX will they open wide enough to keep me out of the ER?

Here is what I mostly want to do...and I do this all part time :)

• Tees (layered colors, i can be very creative, lol)
  • Sweatshirts
  • Kids stuff
  • Probably some rhinestone stuff (maybe on hats later?)
  • Mesh construction safety vests
  • Is there a way to do t-shirt sleeves without a hat press?

Yes you can do sleeves on a regular heat press, just need to get a press pad, or old mouse pad to put in it. Google heat press vinyl on T-shirt sleeve. There a couple videos showing how

• Like 2

I have the auto open 16 x 20 Phoenix  press and I wish I didn't get one with the auto feature, but everyone has their own taste.  I just find I wouldn't have really needed it.  I am always right there so really no need for the auto feature but again I know folks that wouldn't have one without it...

I have the auto open 16 x 20 Phoenix  press and I wish I didn't get one with the auto feature, but everyone has their own taste.  I just find I wouldn't have really needed it.  I am always right there so really no need for the auto feature but again I know folks that wouldn't have one without it...

I'm on the other side of the coin with an auto open press. Seems like every time I close the press a customer walks in or the phone rings and I'd like to be able to just walk away and know that it'll finish up without me.

I'm one of those who always tries to go the cheap route first and then has to upgrade later...   I'm slowly learning the lesson that I'm better off just going ahead and buying the nicer model first, but doing a lot of research before I commit...

As evidenced by my SignWarehouse cutter that was replaced by a Graphtec, my 15"x15" generic heat press replaced by a 16"x20" GeoKnight press, my used WF1100 dye sub printer that is in the process of being replaced with a newer model, etc., etc., etc...

My hat press isn't a fancy name brand, but I did a bunch of reading online and got it from a vendor with a lot of positive feedback... Haven't felt any need to replace it yet!

Yes you can do sleeves on a regular heat press, just need to get a press pad, or old mouse pad to put in it. Google heat press vinyl on T-shirt sleeve. There a couple videos showing how

ok, i have googled for the last 20 minutes and found 1 video using a hat press on short sleeve, and 1 for a long sleeve sweatshirt (which was helpful...just folded the sleeve at the seam and pressed over 2 layers).  Is there one you have seen that would be helpful?  thanks, feeling like its my first time googling at the moment, lol.

yeah, thats the one I found too, cant find one with a flat press.

OWJ, you sound like what is going through my brain.  

Swing style:

Hotronix 16x20        $1850 

GeoKnight 16x20    $1392

What is the major difference in price here?

Clam Shell:

Price differences between Hotronix or GeoKnight in this category seem comparable.

Any advice on brand, ease of use, quality?

And is threadability important?

Swing style:

GeoKnight 16x20    $1392

Clam Shell:

Price differences between Hotronix or GeoKnight in this category seem comparable.

The Hotronix Fusion is a swing + drawer.

I just bought a Hotronix auto-open clam from dealer demo, significantly less than new. Hotronix website also offer refurbished models at lower price. When I talked to the dealer, their opinion is unless you're constantly multi-tasking or in different rooms, then the Maxx is sufficient for most people at a lower cost, with the same Hotronix quality/warranty behind it. I went for the auto-open because I've had 2 shoulder surgeries in the last 4 months and the auto-open is just so much easier on the shoulder - it's pretty much personal preference. I also liked the Hotronix because I can get the caddy with it and easily turn it into a threadable press.

I'm madly in love with the beautiful Brittany from Conde System and she regularly uses a GeoKnight DK20S, so how could I possibly use anything else?

Swing style:

GeoKnight 16x20    $1392

Clam Shell:

second video down was a short sleeve t-shirt when I posted it?

I'm madly in love with the beautiful Brittany from Conde System and she regularly uses a GeoKnight DK20S, so how could I possibly use anything else?

get into an argument with her sometimes - I had sawgrass providing ink to me for about 1.5years and when I went to get support from her on my printer she wouldn't help as I had not bought ink from them in over a year - bought $over 2K in printer and stuff originally but hadn't bought a $110 ink in a year so she said no - ummmmm she lost a lot of that beauty that day.   David ended up getting it settled but not till after I solved the printer problem thru sawgrass directly.

Who the heck edited my post and added that bit about the argument?  That wasn't me...

I just have a swing away from USCutter and it has done great but I will some day upgrade. I bought a perfect press pad from Stahls and use it lots for shirt sleeves and crest prints when there are buttons or seams nearby. I think mine is a 5"x6" pad. They have a whole assortment that you can buy in a group or one at a time. I just bought the one once I saw the price. I haven't tried a mouse pad but it would probably work too although it will be a little thinner than the press pad is. I also have a couple press pillows that are SUPER handy when you need one. My main one is about 12" x 12" or some such and I use it when I have a previously applied graphic on the back side that I don't want to get hot or if there are shirt seams that are up on the press as smaller shirts tend to be. If you have a seam near your image it can cause adhesion problems or wrinkles. The other press pillow I have is 5" x 16" (i think ) and is a must have for pant legs and long sleeves where you can pretty much guarantee a seam messing you up. 

• Like 1

Who the heck edited my post and added that bit about the argument?  That wasn't me...

sorry jones must have hit edit and not quote - that was my mistake and I take full responsibility - was a long long day yesterday with no sleep the night before

get into an argument with her sometimes - I had sawgrass providing ink to me for about 1.5years and when I went to get support from her on my printer she wouldn't help as I had not bought ink from them in over a year - bought $over 2K in printer and stuff originally but hadn't bought a $110 ink in a year so she said no - ummmmm she lost a lot of that beauty that day.   David ended up getting it settled but not till after I solved the printer problem thru sawgrass directly.

second video down was a short sleeve t-shirt when I posted it?

Thank you!  I didnt scroll down :thumbsup:

• Like 1

sorry jones must have hit edit and not quote - that was my mistake and I take full responsibility - was a long long day yesterday with no sleep the night before

Trying to throw OW under the bus. I disappear for a day and everything goes kaput lol.

• Like 1