Sign in to follow this  
bizzytop

Remove old Vinyl

Got a call from my daughters school, they want me to redo there trailer.  The trailer has some really old vinyl on it, its all cracked and such.  So I know i can remove vinyl with my heat gun, but i was wondering if anyone had a good trick of the trade to remove old cracked vinyl.

besides heat, you can use a vinyl eraser.  It's a rubber wheel that goes on your drill, it makes a good mess though and it takes a while.

most auto shops sell them, we get ours for around $10-$20/ea.

I bought some adhesive remover at a local auto paint supply that came in an aerosol can and did a great job. It softened up the old cracked stuff that I was removing and let me scrape it off with a plastic edged scaper tool. It's called Aircraft Decal and Adhesive Remover made by Klean Strip. There are probably a lot of other similar brands. What is funny as all get out is the very last line in the warning label says "DO NOT USE ON AIRCRAFT" HA HA! WTF is that all about? why put that in the name of the product at all is beyond me. Great stuff though. Just use it on a small area at a time because if you let it sit then the vinyl sets back down and re-attaches itself. 

You might want to have them sign a waiver so you are not responsible if you damage the paint beneath. I have caused minor problems on removals before. It's a good idea to warn them that it's a strong possibility that there will be some damage. trailers are often painted with lower quality products and rarely have a clear coat. 

However you go about removing it make sure that you dont give them a flat fee for removal. Give them an hourly rate. Trust me you will be happy that you did. 

• Like 2

However you go about removing it make sure that you dont give them a flat fee for removal. Give them an hourly rate. Trust me you will be happy that you did. 

+1

I use heat gun to peel off sticker then spray can degreaser, works on all surfaces and just spray on wipe off with paper towel much faster than any other stuff I've used