Sign in to follow this  
JessXEmoji

What surfaces will Vinyl not stick to?

I wanted to put a list of surfaces Vinyl will not stick to for my customers so they wont make a mistake.

I'll mostly be using Oracal 651 for home and auto.

Ive read that some paints even on a smotth surface will not let the decal stick like it should. Does anyone know which paints those are?  And what are some other surfaces to avoid? thanks!

Usually non stain paints. Or any paint that has not been washed in the last year. mostly if they are smokers.

Do not try to stick anything to a hologram. Won't do that again!

Dish soap takes the wax of a car real fast. If buddy showes up with the perfect looking car, find out if he just waxed it. Vinyl will not stick.

Rain-X will also stop anything from sticking to glass.

More to come I am sure.

• Like 1

RainX is the devils work. And if they weren't careful with it there is a good chance there is overspray 6" around the perimeter of the glass.

Usually non stain paints. Or any paint that has not been washed in the last year. mostly if they are smokers.

Do not try to stick anything to a hologram. Won't do that again!

Dish soap takes the wax of a car real fast. If buddy showes up with the perfect looking car, find out if he just waxed it. Vinyl will not stick.

Rain-X will also stop anything from sticking to glass.

More to come I am sure.

Thanks!  what do you mean by non stain paints?

Thanks!  what do you mean by non stain paints?

Interior walls. Indoor house pain that is suposed to resist stains.

low energy plastics like used on suv's. some car trip,  etc  you have to have a very agressive adhesive to bond to those

What do you guys use to clean surfaces before you apply vinyl? I read soap and water. But anything better that most people have at home?

I have always heard soap is bad because it leaves some behind. Maybe I've been mislead and anyone can chime in if that is so. I use citrus based solvent to remove adhesives (I call it agent orange) then I use a mixture of water with denatured alcohol for basic clean-up and to remove the agent orange if I used it. The alcohol is cheap and I just mix 10-20% by volume. (Also have used several of the wet app sprays to clean. They do great.) As a final touch I usually wipe down with rubbing alcohol to be sure all the grease and fingerprints are gone. It would probably remove soap film too if you used soap. 

That's my $0.02

I call it orange goo because that's what the adhesive looks like when loosened

• Like 1

If you have any kind of curves I would recommend going on up to 751. It's 1/2 mil thinner too. I did a set of wii remotes with green zebra pattern and they have held up fantastic. Been on there for a couple years. The rubber slip on has been more off than on. I expected them to come right off but they haven't

post-20133-0-20932000-1384297873_thumb.j

What do you guys use to clean surfaces before you apply vinyl? I read soap and water. But anything better that most people have at home?

RapidPrep is a great cleaner that is vinyl safe and will remove oil, grease, silicone, Rain-x and other dirt aand grime and leave the surface squeaky clean. It is made by the same people who make RapidTac II application fluid, which I also recommend.

• Like 1