Sign in to follow this  

Made up a dozen 2" x 7", three color graphics for a friend's new business. All I had to do was vectorize his jpeg, change colors and cut it. Don't know what to charge him for them. Can anyone give me a price range for them? Thanks

post-7680-0-51347700-1372127525_thumb.jp

General rule of thumb is ((length in inches + width in inches)/2) in dollars.  Add more for each additional color you have to cut, plus be sure to charge enough to cover your art layout time. You can extend a discount for multiple quantities.   I would be at no less than $5 each depending on how good of a friend they are and I tend to be at the low end of the pricing scale compared to most.

arty-rc, the rest of this comment is not directed at you, so please don't take it personally, but...

Could we possibly get a sticky thread that covers basic pricing information so that we don't keep seeing this same question posted over and over?

• Like 1

I use the length plus width divided by 2 as well... For that size, three color, I'd charge $7 per decal.

The only reason I was at $5 was because the friend wanted a dozen of them, and $60 sounded friendlier than $84...   But like I said, I price at the low end of the spectrum.

For a dozen, I may make it an even $80... but I don't generally give bulk pricing, until the number is quite a bit higher.

It's multi-color... Most people increase their prices to allow for the additional colors used.  One color would have been $5 (I realize that the EXACT number would be 4.5) and then an up-charge for the additional.

2 + 7 / 2 ? ? = 7

LOL!  ;D

Same with me,  4.50.... round up to 5 than add a buck for each of the other two colors.... the L+W/2 is a guide line for me.  Then I tweek as I feel  :rolleyes:

Now that it is a different day... Hell I'd do it all for 75.  Tomorrow might be 105   :lol:

• Like 1

Right... what is your figures for additional colors?

Depending on the size of the decal, $1 per additional color.  If it were a very large, multi-color, I'd add $2 per additional color.

My question is....

If you charge for material by the inch

Why not charge 3 times..:huh:

Because there are three colors....

Okay... we see what one another might charge for such a job.

How long will it take each of you to complete the task, start to finish?

one dozen 2" x 7", three color graphics

vectorize the jpeg, change colors and cut

I assume install app tape, Arty?

I would print 6 on them together on a sheet for each color and layer 6 at a time.

Or if you are feeling ballsy, layer all 12 on 1 sheet, then cut them out.

My question is....

Why not charge 3 times.. :huh:

Because nobody in their right mind is going to pay $15 for a 2"x7" decal.  

• Like 2

Yeah I have priced out a few decals that were 3 to 6 colors and It is very hard to compete with printed stuff. Last one I did, the price for me to do 2 colors matched the printed price so you can imagine my price on 4, 5, or 6 colors. I found that to stay competitive the pricing needs to be less for additional layers.

Thanks to all for your responses. This first batch of this graphic might lead me to much more work (trailer graphics, larger logo graphics, t-shirts, etc.). I don't want to slam the door in my face before I get my foot in it. I know that these smaller graphics take more time to do properly and time is money. I will probably charge him $8.00 each and see what happens from there. Thanks again to all.

My question is....

Why not charge 3 times.. :huh:

Because we're not pricing it only by the inch.  The (height/width)/2 formula is a rough starting point for a single color design that includes layout, app tape, etc. - adding a 2nd and 3rd color doesn't increase the amount of app tape or layout time (at least not by much!) and so we usually add $1 per color to cover the additional labor and additional risk of failure.

Those are just guidelines and you're free to tweak the numbers however you like, but it's a good starting formula to use when someone asks you quickly for a price quote.

Note also that the price is for production only and does not include delivery, shipping, handling or installation.  You'll want to add on more for any of those that are applicable.

• Like 1

I delivered the logos and got an order for a shirt. I'll be dropping it to him tomorrow and he will be giving me sizes and numbers for more shirts. Not big numbers but every little bit helps.

post-7680-0-94443600-1372557559_thumb.jp

see, one thing did lead to another. good job. on your way now.