motoxchic

Terrible time with transfer laying flat...have new job

I have a job for some cut 8" round logo decals to do.  This is my first "decal" job, mostly been signs, banners, trucks so far.  I have put up with my "Sometimes Lays Flat, Sometimes Doesnt" Greenstar Med tack tape. Its easy to work with, but a crap shoot for laying flat.  For me to see, its fine if the edges roll up, but for a customer display, not good.

I need to place an order today from USC and wanted to get 1 or 2 types to try out.  The decals are white, so I am assuming a clear tape for display?  Also curious how different it is to apply (for a consumer) the clear?  Suggestions?

I seldom use clear tape for anyting - paper works so much better overal   try laying your app tape down first face up and then applying the decal to that to see if it works better for you

I used some clear tape and its crap. I went to the local sign supplier shop got some cloth and everything works like a charm and lays flat.

I paper tape everything in the store. When the color is a concern for the customer to see I just cut a bunch of 1/2" circles in scrap vinyl of the correct color and stick a circle on the paper tape to show accurate color.

• Like 1

For every 1000 bad ideas I squeak out a good 1... Should see the pile of bad ideas in the back room

• Like 2

Yeah I just cut small 1x1 squares of my colors to show customers what colors I have currently. Then if they want more I get out my swatch books and let the pick. I just tell them it will be an extra couple days for something I have to order. I dont charge onto them for that, cause now I have that color too lol.

I also Only use Paper tape. Never had an issue with Greenstar lay flat tape. Been through multiple rolls in multiple sizes up to 24"

We're running 2 to 3 days to get the bigger jobs done right now so I give em the colorchart and let them have at it. Got 30 colors of oracal so far and working on the rest at a rate of 1 per week,

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jaybird" data-cid="314236" data-time="1369954785"><p>

I paper tape everything in the store. When the color is a concern for the customer to see I just cut a bunch of 1/2" circles in scrap vinyl of the correct color and stick a circle on the paper tape to show accurate color.</p></blockquote>

Damn jay why didn't you tell me that before I delivered those bagged decals? That would have been perfect. Just don't let me forget it Ok?

We've had some real slow movers in the store on occasion so I rarely pretape anymore, I just tape when purchased but i do sell to the occasional store for resale and that's how we do there's.

I switched over to RTape and have had much better luck especially when doing large graphics by myself. For the crafty moms who order things and like to see the color I have some of the AT60 medium tack clear and it works pretty good. The medium tack helps let them get the app tape off even when they are installing on orange peel house walls. I still have a roll of the GS clear that I am trying to use up and I don't like it at all. 

As far as the paper tape I just have found that the RTape brand will lay out face down much better than the house brand and this lets me lay my graphic out on it with less chance of wrinkles. Someone on here gave the tip Dakota mentioned to place the app tape down face first and apply the vinyl to it that way and once I started going that route life has been sweet. I have done very large pieces that way all alone with no problems.

Thank you all for the suggestions!  Love the colored circle on the outside idea, definitely will do that.  I have been working on a huge project and have been using the Big Squeegee to tape 24".  Sometimes I get it flawless, sometimes I dont, esp if I have not transferred for a week or two and am out of the "feel" for it.  I have been taping 24" and probably about 5' with the BS, but its hard to push.  I really like the paper tape, but cannot deal with sending a customer some decals with curls in them.  I will try the app tape face up, but I hate not being able to see my wrinkle possibilities....or maybe I wont have to doing it that way, lol.  How large of a graphic do you do that way (with success)?

I do huge graphics with paper tape.  12-16ft. long. I just use  about 3 pieces of cello tape on each end of 20" wide graphics to keep app tape in place, Cause I have to roll them up.    Never complaints.  Been doing it for 7 years now.

1/2" x 1000" at Walmart Red jumbo roll 68 cents.

any chance a high tack tape would be better for the decal order?  He wants 40 logos to sell in his gym, assuming most of them will be going on vehicle windows as they are 8" round diameter.

I keep seeing that most people like using paper tape and I can agree with that.

What do you guys do if you are layering vinyl since the paper tape is more difficult to see through?  Do you just use clear tape in those instances?  If so, which clear tape do you prefer?

The only complaint I have about the clear is that it has a little stretch and it tunnels a lot worse if you roll it up then roll it back out. Also can't wet install or wet the app tape to help removal. I actually like the med tack for small graphics but on bigger stuff you have to be more careful not to let anything touch during install because you have less chance of being able to pop it back up than with high tack. Sometimes the med tack won't lift off the backing paper clean either. I mostly have issues with GS clear. The stuff I have is high tack and if its cold that stuff will tear on you when you try to remove it. I sell it to the self installers and giggle as they head off to DIY at their house. It makes them think twice about self install the next time. BWAAAAHAAAHHAA! I have about half a roll of 24" that I have been whittleing away at since I bought it two years ago.

Customer always comes first Goose.....

Give them the best you have.... Always

• Like 1

I don't see what everyone has against clear tape...I use both, but for clear tape I won't use anything but the AT75 by RTape.  *I do not use clear for large wall pieces, though, only vehicle decals.  For large, long decals I use Oracal HT55 for 631 and Main Perfect Tear for others.  I use Main Perfect Tear on vehicle decals, too.

To follow up...loving me some RTape Conform 4076 :)  It worked great for the RTA decals, super flat and the Oracal 651 shows the white great with the blue background. 

• Like 1