d5kerry

Another wheel cover

Just knocked this up fro a customer and will be installing later today. I haven't shown it on this picture but i will be installing realtree onto the rear windows as well. Will all be printed onto contravision then the graphic will be cut from reflective vinyl and installed over the top. 

post-19267-0-84351900-1364215617_thumb.j

what vinyl are you using on the cover?  had a friend doing those and he had a heck of a time getting 651 or 751 to stick . . . . even with alcohol wipe and the flame trick before applying . . . .

Just a wipe over with some IPA, not had one fail yet. Although this is a first as i'm using contravision all over so it all matches.

what vinyl are you using on the cover?  had a friend doing those and he had a heck of a time getting 651 or 751 to stick . . . . even with alcohol wipe and the flame trick before applying . . . .

The ones i have done have been a hard cover. Not tried it on a flexible one so far.

ahhh, that is it - he was using the fabric covers - Now I see said the blind man as he shook his wooden leg around his glass eyeball - as grandpa used to say

Looks great!  I have the flexible cover on my tire, so I've been leery about attempting to put anything on it, for fear that it would come right off!

oh it stuck for a week or so - then he had problems - personally have never done it.

I tried to app ly vinyl on a flexable cover and it just would not adhere properly. I wound up hand painting it and 3 years later, I saw it a few weeks ago and it still looks good. The vinyl just would not work. My $.02

I know its not the same thing, but I successfully applied vinyl to the rear window of a soft top jeep this past summer. The customer wanted it on the soft window instead of the tire cover because they were scared of it coming off. The tire cover was soft leather with dimples on it, so I agreed. If it had been a smooth surface without dimples I would have tried it, but I could tell from looking at it that it would not work.

I just did one on a Jeep Liberty for a lady in town. Gave it to her as never done one and if it works out perfect then she in theory will be a repeat customer and be more then happy to tell others of the awesome job I did. It was one of the soft ones like a roll up cover. been a couple weeks and no issues yet (fingers crossed)

We must have different ones in the UK. Our flexible ones are also smooth. I have ordered one from eBay to try out some different designs. Will post pictures shortly.

• Like 1

Apa viinyls are the ones that are mostly used on on the canvas sides of  haulage trucks  in Europe. 

Is that on a vinyl cover or a hard cover? I was looking to do some custom ones with my business name on it like the car dealerships. Can that be done with a vinyl cutter, heat transfer vinyl and a heat press? Thanks

I have only installed onto hard centered wheel covers, however, i have ordered a soft cover to test the durability of the vinyl on them. 

I'm guessing that the wheel covers in the UK are very different to what you have.

Does anyone know if a heat press set up will work with a vinyl tire cover ? So heat transfer vinyl on vinyl? How about a canvas style tire cover, will the heat transer stick to that ok? Sorry for the stupid questions I m so new to this hobby! Just got my cutter a few weeks ago and loving it, I want to get a heat press a start doing shirts for my business. Well, and of course these tire covers I am asking about.

Thanks Brian

• Like 1

Does anyone know if a heat press set up will work with a vinyl tire cover ? So heat transfer vinyl on vinyl? How about a canvas style tire cover, will the heat transer stick to that ok? Sorry for the stupid questions I m so new to this hobby! Just got my cutter a few weeks ago and loving it, I want to get a heat press a start doing shirts for my business. Well, and of course these tire covers I am asking about.

Thanks Brian

I'm in the same spot, trying to decide how to get my biz logo on the jeeps "vinyl coated poly cotton" tire cover. I bought it blank in the hopes I had the equipment in my office to do this right.  

I tested it today with heat press set at 312 degrees at 18 seconds.  This melted the fabric.  I did test it on a grill cover that looked to be similar material.  The logo looks nice on it and isn't coming off:)  The plastic substrate the logo came from protected the logo and kept from melting the grill cover to the substrate, it peeled off nicely.  However it burnished the grill cover, and melted the rest of the Heat Press surface are to the paper I used as a protection barrier (some use parchment paper).  

Before I ruin my grill cover more with testing:) can anyone attest to either a lower temp setting (in hindsight appears to be a potential solution) or more specifically vinyl logo's can be put on vinyl coated poly cotton tire covers.  If so, temp settings/time/necessary details?

I see pre-made ones on same fabric tire covers just want to advertise for my biz, not wolves, jeep, or other sayings/etc.  

Thank you!  Mike