noosh

Old vinyl removal?

Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to remove old vinyl from a plastic signboard. I have to redo this board for a client and I need to clean the old stuff off first. I have tried to peel it off but its so old and brittle the vinyl is just coming off in tiny pieces.

Any advice would be great..thanks!post-6384-0-66286000-1346815758.jpg

• Like 4

Have you tried GOOF-OFF?

Before you use that adhesive remover, the first step would be to scrape the lettering with a flat razor blade on a handle ---

12030.jpg

Might want to try a heat gun. It will leave the glue behind but than you can attack it with acetone or panit thinner. Might want try in a place and make sure it does not melt your substrate.

Acetone on that ABS plastic?

Hmmmmmmm....acetone will turn anything made out of ABS into a puddle of melted goo.

A metal blade will gouge and scratch the plastic if you aren't very very careful.. Any chemical you use to remove the adhesive try it on a small spot out of sight and see how it reacts.

all your suppliers sell little chislers (a plastic scraper) a little heat use the chisler to get a corner up then pull as you heat . the goo gone mentioned above is good stuff i have used it before i have also used sticker shock a sticker remover for cars.

• Like 1

You can find small bottles of Goo Gone at Dollar Tree for $1 if you want to try it before committing to buying a larger quantity.