Sign in to follow this  
leadermon

Fun with 631 exhibition vinyl

Roland GX-24. I really like it. ;) First real try with 631.

I did find the transfer tape was a make or break deal with 631. I went with HT-55 and or AT60

I wish I was even 1% as talented as some of you in modifying a stock image to create a cuttable decal. I can kind of see the image that you started with in the monitor on the left side. And to see what you came up with from that is just amazing to me.

Simply in awe

Ron

Thats  awesome. I've used wrong app tape before with 631 and that would have been a nightmare with the thin lines. In fact, I probably would have given up. lol  I don't do enough work with 631 to buy the right app tape. Very nice work.  :thumbsup:

Here's another. This one is 5.25" high and once again with 631.

The original was a low res color photo pulled from online. This was the first cut. I have since increased the detail.

Sorry about the low quality pictures..camera phone.

605d4deb.jpg

I wish I was even 1% as talented as some of you in modifying a stock image to create a cuttable decal. I can kind of see the image that you started with in the monitor on the left side. And to see what you came up with from that is just amazing to me.

Simply in awe

Ron

The key is to use a lot of trial and error with making the vector. A clean starting image helps..ALOT. I use Inkscape, Corel and Illustrator..I find each has strengths and weaknesses depending on image type and detail. Play with the settings, experiment and be patient. 2 years ago I couldn't vector even a simple logo  :thumbsup:

Thats  awesome. I've used wrong app tape before with 631 and that would have been a nightmare with the thin lines. In fact, I probably would have given up. lol   I don't do enough work with 631 to buy the right app tape. Very nice work.  :thumbsup:

Low tack tape is a disaster wrapped in futility with 631 on a textured surface!

Been there...done that. :thumbsup:

What is the best App tape to use with 631 for the best results when applying?  I haven't used 631 but would like to which is why I would like to know?  I have R-Tape 4075 that I love for use with 651 vinyl.  Would that work?

What is the best App tape to use with 631 for the best results when applying?  I haven't used 631 but would like to which is why I would like to know?  I have R-Tape 4075 that I love for use with 651 vinyl.  Would that work?

631 is best with a high tack tape like HT-55 and or AT60. HT-55 was Oracal's answer to applying the 631 vinyls.

Here's from Oracal's website:

"ORATAPE

Guest Schramm

I was wondering why high tack tape is the best.  I use 631 for wall word stuff for the college students in the spring and fall and I use medium tack MAIN TAPE and it works great.  Are you speaking on a textured surface only?  I haven't had any complaints in 4 seasons of selling them.  Let me know as I am interested.

I was wondering why high tack tape is the best.  I use 631 for wall word stuff for the college students in the spring and fall and I use medium tack MAIN TAPE and it works great.  Are you speaking on a textured surface only?  I haven't had any complaints in 4 seasons of selling them.  Let me know as I am interested.

I used regular transfer tape on a couple test pieces and found the transfer tape wouldn't pull small floating details and thin strips from the base. The high tack does. Wall words, solids and larger joined pieces would work well with most transfer tapes. Too much tack and application to a textured surface is impossible as the application tape is stronger than the vinyl adhesion on the textured surface with only a small contact area. The two above application tapes work "just right" for high detail cuts on textured walls. Passing this tip on from the Signs 101 forum.

Guest Schramm

Now that makes good sense to me and thanks for that explanation.  I like Main Tape with flat walls and wall words.

Great advice!  Thanks to everyone!  I will have to get some of the HT-55 or the AT60 and play around with them.  :thumbsup:

Ill have to agree with the general consensus and say that those graphics are amazing. You did an awesome job. Not only that but I learned quite a bit about the 631 vinyl. I didnt know why there was a special transfer tape for this vinyl, now I do. lol. Just one question though. Why would someone choose the 631 over the 651? Special properties to the 631 that make it desirable for certain jobs or applications?

Edit: Lol. never mind I just looked it up, and now I can understand why someone would choose 6313 over 651. ;)

Ill have to agree with the general consensus and say that those graphics are amazing. You did an awesome job. Not only that but I learned quite a bit about the 631 vinyl. I didnt know why there was a special transfer tape for this vinyl, now I do. lol. Just one question though. Why would someone choose the 631 over the 651? Special properties to the 631 that make it desirable for certain jobs or applications?

Edit: Lol. never mind I just looked it up, and now I can understand why someone would choose 6313 over 651. ;)

The main thing(s) with 631..it's a flat finish and it comes off without pulling the paint.  Well, according to Oracal, it comes off within 2 years without damage.