those prices would be right on the money in my area. MY actual cost of materials runs about $1-1.25 a square foot for a banner. Average banner takes me about an hour to do. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking advantage of people...but the feeling doesn't last long.

Thanks John, I saw you were on line and hoped you take a look for me...

I'm putting together a sorta sales book to show and I wanted the prices in it..

Now I just have to figure out how to charge to do exterior monument signs, replacing the old copy with new

So you will have one list that customers see and than a second one that will give yourself an idea how much you can play with the cost if the customer wants to haggle?

Just curious

I've been trying to come up with some sort of price page for vinyl letters and banner to use, this is what I came up with,

take a look and let me know if the prices look right, its not for web it's for me when I go out on estimates....

i don't know about anyone else. u have gotten further than me. mine is written in a folder. hehe. but ur prices r almost exact mine. a couple dollars more or less.

non - Benr

No I can haggle with what I have, usually afraid to charge too much, the last job I charged them 140 dollars and they gave me a 40 dollar tip...

having some kind pricing sheets makes me feel better..

I do them in excell so I can play with em if I have to..

I'm new to the vinyl but have be a Genral contractor most of my life.

You say "haggle" no stick to you guns!! People will take you for as much as they can.

The Talent you bring to the table is worth as much as any cutter vinyl and backer!!

People ask me why I charge as much as I do. I say because it is a fair price for good quality work.

It is fairly easy to build a client base, what will hold them is the quality and intergity of your work.

For a good client I toss thing in for free. I do pro bono work for local groups and charities, but the average joe.

Bill Him!!! Stand proud and do the best job you can do. It will come back ten fold. At the end of the

day the client always wants a good job. Price as long as you don't goudge them it's all good!!

Well thats' my two cent ;D

Keith

I made some decals for someone and they asked me how come so much, my reply was - Vinyl is made from petroleum - we all know what the price of oil is these days. I don't haggle with the price often. If I know they are going to haggle, I just quote a little higher price and then come down some to my original. I get what I need to make a profit and they feel like they made something to. I know it seems a little deceitful but I need to make a profit to. I still have a lot to learn about pricing, hell, I still have a lot to learn.

Peabody

ya know I too would tell people/clients when they would ask why signs cost so much, I'd tell em well, acrylic, vinyl, etc are bi-products of oil and with different metals, cost of running machines (gas) and China was buying most of it, they would understand a bit more...

and we're talking custom signs not ones you but over the counter at home depot. But ask the same people why they are charging more for a tuition, office visit. tune-up, a large soda, candy bar, sofa what ever they sell they'll tell it's the economy..

Sorry didn't mean to get on my soap box...

Price list looks good, only see one problem with it.

It's only got Basic Prices.  B)

Do you have one for NON Basic prices? If so, here are a couple things to stick into your arsenal...

John, I'd rather apologize to you once for it being a little more than you thought it was going to be, vs apologizing to you time and time again because you didn't get exactly what you want.  That makes sense, doesn't it? ((shake your head yes at them))

Here's the thing.  Your Basic price list has usefulness...no doubt.  I would make a second one  showing the prices for shadows, premium/specialty vinyls, etc...

When you give a price, you ALWAYS give 2 prices relatively close in money and labor/materials, but different enough where there is percieved value in one over the other. 

When presenting it to them simply look at them and say "John, which one do you think works best for what you're looking for?"   When they point or indicate to one you remind them of a feature or benefit.  "You liked how there was the shadow behind the lettering and the logo was bigger on this one, didn't you..." ((shaking head yes))  Once they say yes, they've assumed ownership in a QUALITY sign from you...they just need YOU to show them what to do! 

When they say YES, you stick out your hand to shake theirs and say exactly this  "Well, that takes care of that, doesn't it" (mildly shaking head yes)

DO NOT STOP -  Just go into WHATEVER you would normally do had the customer BEGGED for one of your signs...writing up the sales order, going through the motions, going over your policies, and most important...getting the deposit. 

"Assume so strongly it affects everything you say, think and do" 

If you were to say "Well, that takes care of that??" you'll get shot down...I can promise you (yes, from experience) 

Hmm.... maybe I should bust out a thread with some of this stuff in it....

This is just what many of our 'new' to the business members want to read

They (we) are always wanting help on pricing and the how toos

You have supplied us with some great info, I'm going to copy it to my business folder so I don't loose it..

Thank You

Kris

Say you charge 60.00 dollars for a 2x6 banner is that for one side? Or if they wanted both sides done would you charge the 60.00 for both sides or 60.00 per side?

For one, I'd never get $60.00 for a 2x6 banner. I charge around $35.00 for a 2x6 one side.

All the banners I have in stock are one sided banners....I've never had an order for a 2 sided banner yet.

Plus I wouldn't double the charge for a 2 sided, since you are only adding one side and don't obviously need to purchase a seperate banner.

Jen

I've always stuck close to this method...for something pretty basic...

If it's up to $75.00 single sided mulitply the price times 1.45

If it's over $75.00 single sided, multiply the price times 1.35

Common sense obviously prevails here.  If it's 3/4 layers and it's got the preamble to the constitution on it... we're talking ALOT more... 

For example  $75.00 x 1.35 = 75 Single Sided or 101 double

$50.00 x 1.45 = 50 Single Sided or 72.50 double

But PLEASE don't raise your thumb in the air, and wave it around with one eye and give a price.  Make sure you're using a calculator, drawing stuff, writing stuff, and if nothing else, write stuff down...  It lends to the credibility of how you came up with your pricing.  If you just shoot prices out without doing ANY calculations...it's just not very credible...

I just give them a price...if they like it,they say yes. If they don't,they say no. Either way, I am OK. I haven't had less than 2 weeks of back-log in 2 years. I have had exactly 6 days off this year. If I just don't want the job, I price it high or just say I don't have the time to get to it.

I have the luxury that many don't...too much business.

In short...just feel them out. After 35 years giving estimates in the upholstery biz... I can tell by their body language and the look in their eyes if I am too high or too low.