tom@dixie

Any chance for different software.

Been working for over a week now, Cutter may be OK its hard to tell as the software is complete crap. Is there any chance of bundleing with another program or offering a upgrade. If it dosent crash it just locks up. On the one in a million shot it works it will cut once then you have to reboot both computer and cutter several times, Then even opening same file and cutting again letters will be mirrored or upside down. Inkscape is free because nobody would pay for a program that prone to freezing and crashing. Not sure how signcut can stay in buisness as it is EXTREAMLY unstable. I have ordered another program to see if the cutter is going to be usable. This anin't rocket science, It should not take this long to cut a couple 1 color decals. I thick some basic software capable of making some simple decals is not to much to ask. I run Autocad and also 3D pipe bending software so it's not that I am computer challenged. I have not seen this many unexpected errors or frozen screens in 15 years of computing.  :( :( :) 

I have been using signcut since December no problems at all beat the heck out of that artcut stuff my cutter came with.  No hang-ups or any other problems.

Last night I formatted my computer, and the only software in it now is windows XP signcut and inkscape. And it still hangs up and will not cut most of the time.

I've been using Inkscape every day for months. Never had it crash..not once. I just did 2 banners with 22 inch graphics,vectorized with inskscape. Turned out perfect. Inkscape is free because it is open source,which means lots of people work on it for nothing,no profit...just to provide a simple tool for doing a job which other expensive software makes into a  complicated task.

As for signcut,no problems with it either.

In your case,I think you have either a hardware issue or a communication issue. Or maybe you need to spend some time learning how to use signcut. It isn't Flexi...and you can't expect it to do what a design/cutting application like Flexi does.

Out of curiosity,how much memory does your computer have? This is an important question.

sign cut is not a design program it only cuts as for inkscap i hate that program but i have never had a prblom with hang ups or reboots but i upgraded my laptop to 2ga of ram to i use corel draw x3 with signit x3 works great

I am running P4 2.9 GHZ with 256 Ram. I am going to try to get usb to serial hooked up and see if its any better. So far I have not gotten adapter to work. Followed instructions to a t and nothing. I received my winpc sign yesterday and it seems to work fine in design stage no crashes or lock ups. BUT as soon as I go to cut it does nothing and locks up. so it has got to be something in the communication. I will call Ken later today and see if he can help with usb driver.

You really need more memory. 256 is the minimum I would use just to run XP and a browser. Graphics programs use a LOT of memory and low memory will cause a program to lock up.

Depending on the type of memory you have,you should be able to upgrade to at least 512 for less than $40.

I just opened Signcut and Inkscape ...on a machine with 256mb memory,nothing else running. Memory used...210mb and that is without actually doing anything in either application.

If your motherboard has 2 memory slots and has 2 sticks of 128,buy a stick of 256,or one stick of 512. That really isn't much memory these days. It might not solve your specific problem(or it might) but you will notice a big difference anyway.

I think I spoke to Tom earlier, and he was not saving the file from Inkscape properly. Once I walked him through the correct way, he seems to be in business.

Ken, I got the usb to serial cable working when it came up looking for driver i put in cd that came with it pointed to the r232 folder and it works like a champ. Not sure if it fixed lock up problem with inkscape and signcut as win pcsign is sooooo much easier and faster I never opened the others but ran cutter all night and worked good. Never lost communication and no lock ups.