dbtoutfit

Digital Printed Vinyl Graphics. (using home desktop printer)

OK,

If nothings goes wrong I will receive some samples for glossy inkjet waterbased vinyl and UV barrier lamination from China.

If this is working OK ( I am very keen it should work) I will order some rolls (5 is the minimum) and resell to any of you guys in need for it.

The rolls are 60 cm X 30 M for the glossy white Vinyl and 93 cm X 30 M for the UV barrier lamination.

The vinyl is polymer ( no memory effect ) of 90 um and the glossy lamination is 70 um.

Regards,

Paco

Here are some samples for the QP MEDIA (look for it on EBAY) matt vinyl I use.

Printed with Brother MFC6490 using dye ink.

It is laminated with regular ASLAN 114 clear cutting vinyl to protect it for water and scratches.

However it is not UV barrier coated.

It can be curved nicely with a hairdryer and sticks very well.

I hope the sample vinyl from ASIAN-MEDIA (Egbert) can produce same results.

Because their price is very nice.

Regards, Paco

post-3682-12986539782743_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986539783217_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986539783611_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986539798609_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986539798888_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986539799165_thumb.jpg

Heya,

I read this thread, but still have some questions.

I am about to buy an inket printer, but I wanna make sure I get one that works for printing on adhesive-backed vinyl. I was thinking an Epson, anyone want to recommend a current model which will work with inket-vinyl-printing or will they pretty much all work if I get matte-coated vinyl paper?

Also, what kind of overlaminate film is good? Once I cover the printed graphic in over-laminate, I guess I can use my LP 24 to contour cut around the graphic with the laminate on?

I'm a little confused. Some of those links to MacTac didn't work and their site is hella confusing. The EBAY site has 50 kajillion options but no brand-names listed. Too generic for me.

If anyone has clear details I'm game. I need to know what a good printer to get would be (or what to avoid), a link to good paper to print on (adhesive vinyl) and a good over-laminate, and possible a clarification how to laminate the graphic once printed.

Thanks!

NukleoN

http://shop.ebay.nl/steclar704/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Get in contact with the guy and ask for MATT vinyl it is not listed (refer to my name Paco Raap) and he should know what you need.

Any inkjet printer will do and telling which brand is as tricky as just advising which car to buy........:-)

Use a straigth paper pad feeding machine as the backing of the vinyl is a little waxed and with 180 degree U turn printers might get you in trouble sometimes as their pick up is at the waxed back.

Yes I only do contour cut on laminated selfadhesive vinyl with a laser pointer using SC pro

Nothing special.

Putting laminate on for A4 size is as simple as regular vinyl fitting.

I hope this all helps.

Paco

BTW never heard of Egbert from China about sample material anymore.

Paco

I did several hours of research last night on this topic.

Well it looks like I am gonna go with the Epson Workforce 30. It's only 53 bucks at Amazon with a full-load of Durabrite ink...heck it's cheaper to buy a whole printer than buy all new ink cartridges! My current printer (Canon i950) is dead and can't use Durabrite ink anyway. This printer can also use the Artainium system, for dye-sub printing on injket heat-transfer paper...full color heat-transfer? Crazy. Cheaper than a large-format printer.

I am still learning about all this stuff...but this little Epson seems like a no-lose situation since it's so cheap and with a lot of paper options. Not the best printer out there, but should be good for what I want to do.

Note, the Epson Workforce 40 is wireless, but has 4 ink-cartridges instead of 5 and apparently won't work with the Artainium system. Plus, it costs about twice as much.

views.cnet.com/inkjet-printers/epson-workforce-30-printer/4505-3156_7-33237878.html  ;)

Paco

Things to make sure before you buy a printer and look for:

1] Straight paper path with pick up at the to be printed media side.

2] Ink cartridges that do not have any protection by chips or what ever.

3] If possible works with pigmented ink.

4] Before you know A4 is to small and you need A3 at least.  ;)

Paco

A4 paper is probably not too small for what I need, but I am thinking a printer which can take A3 would be pretty pricey. Got any recommendations for an A3 printer which can print on vinyl? Do you use standard ink or dye-sublimation with a large format printer?

Will any inkjet printer with standard ink print on matte vinyl?

Things to make sure before you buy a printer and look for:

1] Straight paper path with pick up at the to be printed media side.

2] Ink cartridges that do not have any protection by chips or what ever.

3] If possible works with pigmented ink.

4] Before you know A4 is to small and you need A3 at least.  ;)

Paco

Sublimation ink is something different and cant be used for normal printing for decals.

Sublimation ink is used for tshirt and so on special paper.

Just look for dye or pigment ink.

As you have to laminate to get the shinny look and best mechanical proof it does not matter.

Pappilon also has paper and lamination in A4 size.

Large format printer >24 inch come in different variations.

Some use dye ink for color and pigment for black.

Some use pigment ink only.

Some use (eco) solvent inks or even UV inks.

Just google for A3 or A4 printer reviews!

Paco

Papilion recommends Epson's 'Durabrite' Ink. I've only found two printers which use that ink; the Epson Workforce 30 and Workforce 40.

So I guess a lot of people aren't using Durabrite Ink, but are somehow printing on Matte Vinyl? I can easily find a printer, I am just wondering what people actually use to print ink on vinyl and how well it works. Maybe there's a little more dry-time with non-Durabrite ink.

Sublimation ink is something different and cant be used for normal printing for decals.

Sublimation ink is used for tshirt and so on special paper.

Just look for dye or pigment ink.

As you have to laminate to get the shinny look and best mechanical proof it does not matter.

Pappilon also has paper and lamination in A4 size.

Large format printer >24 inch come in different variations.

Some use dye ink for color and pigment for black.

Some use pigment ink only.

Some use (eco) solvent inks or even UV inks.

Just google for A3 or A4 printer reviews!

Paco

I have a hp9800

and bought a roll of this

http://www.iboyds.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=23952

for ten bucks what a steal

all sizes here

http://www.iboyds.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=545&gclid=CL66-Zmd65wCFQMNDQodO3nrkg

I have only done a couple test prints I just cut normal paper sizes and feed them thru but there was no bleeding and dried fast still looks good. Says 2 years indoor I think.

Maybe its something you can use

Thanks Joe for the link.

Keep us updated how it works.

Pigmented ink is just more UV resistance.

If you make decals that need to be day and night in full sunlight then there is the limitation.

For normal house hold use any ink will do with a good UV blokker lamination.

Paco

I have the workforce 30..bought the floor model marked down at Office depot. It is noisey, shakes and rattles...when the paper is first fed into it you would think it was going to explode.

That being said, it prints well...good quality..but no better than a $30 Lexmark from Target. I'll just say I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

The thing is John, that Epson Workforce 30 uses Durabrite, instant-dry ink (awesome for printing on vinyl) and can use the Artainium system for dye-sublimation printing for full-color heat-transfers! I'd say this is the budget printer to have for these reasons alone. Took me a few days of research to find this all out though! There might be other printers which can use Durabrite ink (as recommended by the people at Papilion) but I haven't found them.

Hey Thors, I am just gonna use a service-bureau and have them digitally-print some vinyl graphics with their Roland (along with contour cut). It's 5 bucks a sq. foot but it should be good-quality and fairly cheap overall compared to buying ink cartridges for the quantity I want to make (50-60). I plan to sell the decals so it makes sense to use a service bureau at the moment, but for one-offs I definitely will get the Epson Workforce 30 and report back on how it works. :thumbsup:

I do plan to get a heat-transfer unit so I am thinking ahead with regard to which inkjet I get.

I have the workforce 30..bought the floor model marked down at Office depot. It is noisey, shakes and rattles...when the paper is first fed into it you would think it was going to explode.

That being said, it prints well...good quality..but no better than a $30 Lexmark from Target. I'll just say I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

I get what you are saying, just wanted to let you know my experiences..if you don't mind the noise and shaking, go for it. I have always liked the Epson Brand printers. I had one years ago that was still going strong after 4 years...

Nukleon how much is a Sq foot in metric m2?

I pay 75 Euro for a m2 not contour cut.

Paco

I've had 2 Lexmarks...one was free with a computer and the other was on sale Black Friday for $18.

I didn't like either one. I like to refil my own carts and toners and by God I could never get a Lexmark refil to work.

IMHO they are junk. I just bought a Lexmark all-in-one because it was $39 on sale and I needed a scanner quick....my 6 year old Visioneer didn't like the coffee I spilled on it. Anyway, the scanner works ok but the print quality is very bad.

I've never had an HP that I had to get rid of. They just seem to last forever..and I like teh front loading features. I have 2 HP Laser printers..one mono and one color. It's been over a year now with no problems.

The thing I like about the Epson is, you don't have to buy a whole new cart when you run low on one color.And they are easy to refil.

i have a hp laserjet 6l that i got for free on craigslist more than two years ago! i recently replaced the toner cartridge, and it is still going strong! i use it to print invoices and recipes for my wife. i also have a hp photosmart 7760 that i have had for 8 or 9 years, still works perfect! i also have an epson 2200 that i am glad i did not pay full price for. i am less than impressed with the performance. i wish my photosmart were a larger format printer.

bb

I got all the printing and laminating details, but I have yet to experiment with my cutter to see if it will contour cut anything. I have the MH721 and I am using flexi 7.6v2

Ill have to play around with it cuz  just paid out the wazoo for some 8.5x11 waterproof inkjet media from papillo. I'd totally slice and dice some rolled media if I could find it. in fact hmmmmm, my vendor will slit any media I buy to whatever width I want..... ok wheels are turning. laters!

DuraBrite Inks and more.

I had enough reward points at bestbuy to grab a work force so since it was for a test I ran down to grab one.

Long story short they didnt have the "Work Force 30" but did have it's bigger brother all in one which uses the same Durabrite inks.

From reading the last couple post and research on the net I got the impression that with these inks you could print directly to vinyl. Here's where thing get fuzzy.  You never know if someone is talking about vinyl printable media with the white back ground like what I used on my first Graphical die cut or standard slick vinyl. I was going for standard vinyl. I want to be able to print to clear vinyl.

So after a test run on the new printer with the durabrite inks on some clear standard vinyl I received the same results as with dye based inks just not as bad though it's far from being something that could ever be used. These inks do dry and draw on fiber based vinyls quick (printable vinyl media) but do not instant dry by no means on slick standard vinyl.

The good news is there is Clear Printable Vinyls for even dye based inks but the Durabrite inks are better in most any application but in my experience only by a small amount.

The inks from Epson in my experience are bar non compared to other desktop home based printers. They simply deliver the most for the least and the quality is crisp and clear.

Skip this unless you enjoy details

I purchased some graphic skins from the top "go to guys", from cell phones to remote control car graphics.  Thus far I have found they all still use the same method as I did with the skull graphic. BUT I also noticed poor print quality, at least with DPI saturation. As if they printed the images at 300 dpi. The black seem to be nice as most systems use pigment inks with black but even the blacks have bleed around the edges from vector printed graphics which should leave no room for the raster argument. I do not see this at all up close from any of the prints I have produced with the RX595 dye based inks and with the Durabrite inks this should be even cleaner edges.  (You might can tell between the Duribrite and the Claria ink the RX595 used under a magnifying glass)  At $25.00 for a 8.5 x 11 sheet of small arrayed graphics printed in vector I was just disappointed in the "go to guys" products. They were even using 3M media so that cant be to blame.

For testing I printed deep rich graphics with thin white lines with the RX595 printer down to .001 wide and could still see a consistent clear edge and line through out the image no colors blead over into the super thin white line. Also since hot colors such as Hot Orange and Hot Pink are popular at least with racing decals etc. . I really wanted to see what a home printer could produce. These colors can tend to be a little difficult to reproduce in print. Well I was really impressed with the quality of these colors from the RX595 Printer.

Bottom Line

Unless you are going to do a lot of clear vinyl decals and you already have a Printer with Claria ink such as the Epson RX595 I would suggest staying where you are. If you are trying to do a large amount of clear vinyl prints with small detail then the Duribrite ink printers might be the way to go.  One note to make here. Durabrite inks are standard UV resistant but you can easily get UV resistant inks with a CISS for the epson RX595 style printers. Durabrite inks are more tough but it's still suggested to use a clear coat with either paint or vinyl. So not a lot of improvement there in high surface use such as Cell phones, Remote controls etc.

I will soon post images of my results.

I hope this helps someone and not bore to many.

Eric