I am stumped as to why my cutter is stopping during cuts. I am assuming it's due to static. But what is stumping me is that I haven't had this problem since getting the anti-static string a year or more ago. And now all of a sudden, it keeps stopping. I have dryer sheets everywhere. I have the anti-static spray. I even bought a new string because maybe the old one was worn out. Nothing is fixing it. I don't have carpet. I am in a basement that's not dry. Have to run a dehumidifier in the basement, so needing a humidifier isn't the problem.  I have been wiping everything down between cuts with the dryer sheets and using the spray. I have dryer sheets in the vinyl roll, hanging out of it, in the catch basket.  It was working great and nothing has changed.  I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

Have you tried a new cable?  I had that problem once, I wiggled the cable and the cutter would take off again. New cable fixed it. Also a cable too long can cause problems. I tried a 16 ft, wouldn't work had to use 12 ft and never had the problem again. Been years now.   If you take the blade out and try the pen and still get the problem, then it more than likely is not static. 

I used the pen for 3 of my large files now and it hasn't stopped once.  That is how I determine if it is static?

Have you tried a new cable?  I had that problem once, I wiggled the cable and the cutter would take off again. New cable fixed it. Also a cable too long can cause problems. I tried a 16 ft, wouldn't work had to use 12 ft and never had the problem again. Been years now.   If you take the blade out and try the pen and still get the problem, then it more than likely is not static. 

No, I haven't replaced the cable that came with it.  I will try wiggling it next time thank you

I used the pen for 3 of my large files now and it hasn't stopped once.  That is how I determine if it is static?

That's a very strong indication that it is static. Is the anti-static string making good connection with the vinyl and a solid ground?

That's a very strong indication that it is static. Is the anti-static string making good connection with the vinyl and a solid ground?

yes the string runs across the entire sheet of vinyl and I also have a ground wire

No, I haven't replaced the cable that came with it.  I will try wiggling it next time thank you

US Cutter only has a 5' cable available. I'm not sure how picky I should be ordering a new one. Any one from amazon is fine? The one that came with it is 10'

20240430_112202.jpg

20240430_112210.jpg

What is is grounded to? Maybe you've lost your ground.

Edit: I see the photos now. In theory where you have it connected should work. Ideally you would want the ground connection to be to bare metal. Do you by chance have DMM? Most people don't but I'm always surprised how often someone does.

I said it backwards, Yes, if it works with the pen, then it is static. You won't get static with the pen tool. Sorry

What is is grounded to? Maybe you've lost your ground.

Edit: I see the photos now. In theory where you have it connected should work. Ideally you would want the ground connection to be to bare metal. Do you by chance have DMM? Most people don't but I'm always surprised how often someone does.

I'm not sure what DMM is? You can see on the bottom of the stand where we scraped it to bare metal

I said it backwards, Yes, if it works with the pen, then it is static. You won't get static with the pen tool. Sorry

That's what I thought after all of my research.  I'm not sure what else I can do for the static?

I'm not sure what DMM is? You can see on the bottom of the stand where we scraped it to bare metal

digital multimeter? I googled that lol. Yes, we do. (electrician husband)

Cool, use it to ring from the grounding string to the ground wire on the stand. They should be electrically connected. If they do ring out then ring from the ground wire, to the 3rd round prong on the power cord. If that rings out, and assuming your house is properly grounded, then you are good as far as that goes I have no idea why static would be biting you.

To "ring" something out, most DMMs have a setting that when you touch the two probes together it makes a tone, or rings. Put it on that setting and probe away. If it does not have that setting, set it to measure resistance and measure between the two points. A connection should be 0 ohms ideally. But in this case anything under say 10 ohms should be fine.

any update?

03_Popcorn.gif

I'm late to this thread, but I had an idea to throw out here.

It's possible that your design has a thing called a "Stray Node" --  I had an MH unit that stopped suddenly while working on a particular job, and my efforts to anti-stat didn't help (MH models are notorious for static build-up). I eventually looked deeper into the design within the program, and discovered a stray node.

That's probably not what you're dealing with, because the pen trace works OK, but stranger things have happened in this plotter business!