termagator

Flexi 8.5 help needed

Hi, I've been using flexi 8.5 starter for years, and it seems like a couple times a year, I have problems in the production manager when it's time to cut. At the present it's giving me the holding message that you see on the right. I'm currently lying using mh871 3@USB_printer0. In the past it would seem like if I changed the port to one of the others shown in the pic, it would start working,  but no luck this time.  I attaching a picmy connection cable. I have also order a 9 pine serial cable from Amazon to try that but haven't recieved it yet.

My question is, do you think this serial cable will solve my problems?  or maybe it's time to move on from flexi starter? 

What are some easy to use inexpensive programs to use to cut vinyl?

Thanks in advance 

20240131_091808.jpg

20240201_073915.jpg

If you ordered a Serial cable, it needs to be a "NullModem" type. (This is a technical definition of the wiring setup in the cable).

As for your question, it might be useful to go into the Device Manager portion of Windows, and do some tweaking of the Ports, altering the COM #'s manually and rebooting the computer. In my opinion, you're experiencing a Windows issue regarding Port assignments, and not something related to cables or software.

P.S. -- Cutters are not printers and do not install as printers.

If you change which USB port on the computer you are connected to that can sometimes confuse the software. If you have a serial port, or a usb-2-serial adapter, on the computer the serial cable is the recommended way to go though. It's more reliable with the MH cutters.

Quick update, I got in device manager and just started clicking on stuff, reboot computer and it appears to be working 

Thank you so much

20240206_194033.jpg

• Like 1

amazingly, rebooting resolves so many things.  glad you're back up and running again.

Ahhhhhh, Windows, gotta love it.

Anyway, did you experiment with the serial connection? Just wondering...

You asked a specific question that wasn't addressed, regarding ditching FlexiStarter software in favor of something else.
Honestly, if you're comfortable with using it (after years of working in that environment), then to switch would be a new learning curve.
At one point I installed VinylMaster, and it's a good program, but I preferred the 'cartoonish' interface of SignBlazer despite that Abandoneware program no longer being supported or upgraded.

You are welcome to try SignBlazer (redSail is the model to choose in cutter setup for your MH). Be fun to see your reaction to it!

Not just windows. The number of things that can be fixed by turning it off and back on is dumbfounding.

well it worked for a second , It ran a little test after going into the device manger ,( had to watch a video on how to get in there, ) i saw where it said USB clicked on all of them, but I didnt know what I was doing. it said the current drivers were all up to date, so as of now it still goes to holding  when I tell it to cut

I tried the serial cable with no luck but I think I wil try it again. I dont know if its a "nullmodem" can these be purchased on amazon

thanks again

Ok, trying serial port cable, desktop doesn't make an audible noise like with USB cable when plotter is turned on. The is the message 

20240207_202757.jpg

What has changed in your environment? Did you move the cutter or. your computer? Did you unplug/replug your USB cable? How long is the cable from the cutter to your computer? Have you tried changing the cable, because they do sometimes go bad. 

If you're still wanting to try to connect via USB, then try to keep the COMPort to 1 thru 4.  You can see what COMPort Windows has assigned to the device in the Device Manager, and you should be able to reassign the Port number.

Ill give it another look.

My problem began after my computer,  which I've never seen do this,...it had been on several days,  screen was blank, then an option appeared that said something to the effect that computer needed to shutdown.  Might have been due to a power failure. 

In device Manger,  under ports(COM&LPT) it sez USB serial port (COM3).

is this telling me my serial connection is assigned to com3?

Thanks for all the input 

20240209_121721.jpg

Hi 'gator, seems like you're back to square one.

What is happening, please describe exactly the steps you are taking, what the result is, how you tried to troubleshoot, etc.

Take this easy on us, we're not sitting at your side there!

Yes, you must match the com port number that is in your computer device manager. It says Com 3.  Go to your set up in your software and choose Com 3 in Flexi. They must match to work. 

If you leave the cutter plugged into the same port, then each time your machine starts/restarts, it should remain the same.

On the software side, make sure it matches.  If there's an option for 'auto' or 'auto detect,' still go ahead and select COM3.

What has changed in your environment? Did you move the cutter or. your computer? Did you unplug/replug your USB cable? How long is the cable from the cutter to your computer? Have you tried changing the cable, because they do sometimes go bad. 

If you're still wanting to try to connect via USB, then try to keep the COMPort to 1 thru 4.  You can see what COMPort Windows has assigned to the device in the Device Manager, and you should be able to reassign the Port number.

LOL, I wish you guys were right beside me. OK, when I go to production manager to make a cut , in status it sez "holding", pic might be in the top of this thread. I have a 9pin serial to use com port, however it is not a NULL MODEM cable,( ordered it it before I saw sliceanddice reply about null modem I still installed the cable drivers, this is what it shows in device manager.

I have ordered a null modem serial cable from amazon, be here tomorrow.

fixing to reboot and give it another try

driver.jpg

If using a USB to serial adapter, the only one guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter, is a Tripp Lite Keyspan adapter with a null modem serial cable.  You cannot just use any ol' USB to serial adapter as they will not work with a vinyl cutter.  The Tripplite has it's own driver.  Shown below. Find the best price. Tripp lite is the brand name. Tripp lite Keyspan adapter has been mentioned hundreds of times on this forum to use with a value cutter like you have.   The USB end of the Tripplite goes into a USB port on your computer. Then the null modem cable screws into the Tripplite, then the other end into the vinyl cutter. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3JS4HVLMQO5NS&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high+speed+usb+to+serial+adapter&qid=1707579501&sprefix=Tripp+lite+keyspan%2Caps%2C534&sr=8-2

Thank you MZ SKEETR, you have helped me several times in the past,  thanks for your help and the link. I'm back to trying the USB to USB connection that has worked for several years. Here's a pic of my device manager.  I noticed this in device Manger. When I opened the USB controller,  it just list them but they're not numbered like the com ports. Also when I plugged in the USB cable to computer, in the 1st pic it had that small notification system,  when I brought up the details it said correct driver wasn't installed for this device.  I moved the USB over on USB port on computer and the notification went away. Also seeing where the us cutter is in the stack of USB in device Manger,  would that be USB6?

20240210_094309.jpg

20240210_094342.jpg

Your welcome.  You can only use Com# 1-4 .nothing higher.   You can assign it a different com port number by going into properties and changing the com port number.  Your driver does not look like it installed, You have a warning beside it. The triangle. 

• Like 1

^^ This. The COMPort has to be 1 - 4, nothing higher.

On that short video,   In production manager, you are showing you have both of the MH com 1 and  MH com 3 are checked.  You only check 1 of them, NOT both of them.   You cannot be checking Com 1 and Com 3 both at the same time in Production manager.  You only choose 1 at a time. Which com port # is listed in your computer device manager? That number is the only com port number that you use.  The driver is only set up on 1 com port in your computer device manager, What is that number?  What ever that number is, is the same number that you choose in the Flexi set up. You should only have 1 com port checked/ selected in Flexi at any time.  Delete the other one.  If you are trying to use that USB to serial adapter, you are wasting your time.  Most of them have the same cheap Chinese chipset as the vinyl cutter with is pretty flaky. You need get a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter and a null modem serial cable. 

In device Manger  com is set on 3. New cable comes tomorrow,  hopefully that will do the trick. 

Thanks again everyone 

Then uncheck MH com 1.  in Flexi set up. Start a whole new set up when you get the correct cables.