Doug Beck

Newbie Graphtec CE5000-60 Owner Questions

Hello Good People,

I just bought my first cutter, a 15+yr old CE5000-60.  It never served in a print shop and saw very little use from the original buyer. 

I've been reading the forums here and have learned a great deal.  

I'll need new blades and a cutting strip.  For blades it seems the consensus is Clean Cut.  For doing mostly vinyl, paint mask and maybe HTV, is 45 degree sufficient or should I get a few different angles?

For the cutting strip, it's hard to find anything listed for the CE5000 as it's ancient.  Could someone please confirm the CE6000-60 uses the same part, such as this:

https://uscutter.com/graphtec-ce6000-replacement-non-stick-cutting-strip-2-pack/

As for workflow, I'm a Mac guy so my idea is to design on the Mac with Illustrator, save as EPS file, then cut from a Windows 7 laptop dedicated to the cutter using Graphtec Studio.  Trying to set up Cutmaster to send direct from a newer Mac seemed difficult with all the compatibility between the cutter's firmware, MacOS version, Illustrator version and Cut Master version so I'm OK with the workaround unless there's a better way.

Feel free to also throw in any other wisdom you are willing to pass down to a newbie.  My usage will mostly be for hobby - decals, paint stencil, maybe t-shirts.  Thanks in advance - it seems you have a nice little community here.

Best regards,

Doug

Cutting strips are pretty much all the same material, the one you noted should be fine.

The workflow from mac to win seems appropriate, it won't be too cumbersome, especially with a thumbnail USB drive.
Just make sure your filing system is properly organized, to keep track of things between the 2 computers.

45* is standard, the 60* is for thicker materials (reflective, for example).

Always remember to MIRROR when sending to cutter with HTV.

When setting up a studio for cutting and heat-pressing, the more elbow room and tabletop space you have, the better.

Let's see some finished work when you get going!

They make a mac version of Graphtech Studio so if you wanted to cut out the Windows 7 system from your work flow that should be possible.

You may like your Mac, but what is great about using Windows, is being able to use the Graphtec cutting controller right from your computer.  Most adjustments, can be changed right on your computer. it's a great feature.  I don't change anything on my Graphtec. 

Progress.

I was able to update firmware to 3.9 so it's now talking to my Mac through Graphtec Studio.  I attempted further upgrade to 6.4 but it locked up the entire cutter with a BOOT START ERROR.  After freaking out a little I was able to reload 3.9 again and am going to stop there before I brick the thing.

Getting  Illustrator to Cutmaster capability is going to be tough with the Mac as my OS  is 64 bit and the only version of Cutmaster that seems compatible with my CE5000 is older 32 bit.  So I'll stick with Graphtec Studio for now and maybe install a Windows partition down the road to try to gain the increased functionality Skeeter describes when I get a little more experience.

Blades and cutting strip on order.  I'll update once I get some success with that.  Thanks again everyone for the help.  I'm sure I'll plague you with further dumb questions down the road.

Best regards,

Doug

I hope you found my 100's of posts on how to set blade depth.  No credit card or post it notes, and with a Clean Cut blade. You will start with only use 1/2 the force or you will break the tip right off. I personally don't use Clean Cut blades.  I have been using Seiki blades since 2008. Several of us use 60 degree blades for everything.  I can still get 8-9 months months of use on Seiki blades and I cut almost everyday.   5 Blades $24.99  spring included.  Ship from Nevada

Skeeter I did see those posts and am thankful you posted that information.  It never would have occurred to me that it was even possible to break the blade tip.  I believe that is what happened to the previous owner.  As it was, the blade is so tiny it required good magnification to even see the broken tip and it wouldn't have occurred to me to even check that without your posts.  Who knows how long I would have chased that issue!

Amazing how once bad information/technique gets out there how difficult it can be to correct it. isn't it?

I'll try some 60 degree Seiki blades next time.

Best regards,

Doug