*** Figured it out, Its the new software, not the vinyl***

Curious if anyone has encountered striations across the width of rolled Oracal 631 that don't cut properly?

I suppose it could always be my machine or a software issue? But i suspect its the material.

Issue:

• The striations are across the width, not down the yardage.
  • It is also across the width of the cutter - not down the length of the cut (like might happen with an old cut strip or obstruction in the machine)
  • The ghost of a cut is visible, but at weeding, I need to use the edge of a blade to get the cut to lift.
  • I've been increasing my blade, but i'm cutting into the backing across the vinyl, except in these bald areas
  • The striation is in a different place if i cut the file a second time. Seems to be happening at an interval of 4", 12", 4", 12"... but that's measured after the fact. Before cutting, i don't notice any issue. Little sketch is what I'm thinking is happening.

Other Details:

• I'm using a Silhouette Cameo & Sil Business software newest V4. 
  • New Blade, Replaced Cut strip & Mat - still happening
  • older vinyl. Purchased extra in Dec 2015, and didn't break into until now.
  • Vinyl is used for a resist process
  • since I'm using the negative and discard the "object" I use painters tape for speedy weeding, and a blade for tough spots or areas where the resist scrim are broken up.
  • Ive been using this material & method for years over 100s of projects. 

Thank so much for your time and thoughts. I appreciate any feedback.

Kgi

IMG_7131.jpg

IMG_7129.JPG

IMG_7127.JPG

Going to say the strip. Could be a small cut in it and not letting the blade get all the way through.

Lightly run your finger along the strip. If you can feel anything, it will affect the cut.

• Thanks 1

I would lean toward old vinyl since you are finding it banded across the roll and not in a spot on your cutting strip. Sounds like the bad spot is about the same place on the roll like there was a part of the roll that it was setting on or exposed to more sunlight etc... See if that fits the layout of your problem areas. Could be the vinyl got old and is harder in that zone so that it's harder to cut through. I have always heard that vinyl has a shelf life of about a year but have successfully used older vinyl fairly often maybe this is into that zone where it is going to be a problem. 

• Thanks 1

Just measured a new 50 yard roll. you may be right on the storage thing.

Are you standing the rolls on end or laying them down?

I store mine on end in a cool dark spot and they seem to last over a year.

• Thanks 1

Thanks All. 

I’m leaning toward a hardened compression spot. I usually store uptight. But after 2years they were shuffled around and then stacked flat in my flat storage shelves during a non-vinyl production period. I also realized they’re in the original boxes & if I rotate the box...that’s 4 inches. Absolutely possible that they were shifted in that time. I’ll save them for less detailed projects. 

• Like 1

So, I ran another two vinyl files and I think I've figured it out, and its not the vinyl or the equipment, but the Silhouette Studio V4 software.

I watched another run on V4 and saw that there were strips of uncut areas. this isn't uncommon, It is pretty standard on my files with very small, densely packed objects to cut. it skips areas and then comes back at the end to "fill them in." 

That's where the issue is happening, when it comes back to the uncut sections, for some reason it's cutting at a different force (?). The blade is clear so its not that.

I reinstalled an older version of the software and ran a file through again... perfect. no bald spots or ghost cuts. Ran a second, still good. 

I'll also mention that I had mis aligned parts on other files when cutting with V4, also in areas where the cutter skips and comes back to fill in.

so... old version for me.