Sign in to follow this  
GraphxNMore

Disaster.... Averted

So, our heat press started showing fluctuating temps. I didn't think a whole lot about it. I just figured the temp probe or wiring thereof was damaged. Wouldn't be a big deal if the temp was holding steady; and I can check it with my temp gun at every startup.

Then we noticed the vinyl on a couple shirts had a melted look. Took temp with gun; sure enough, temp had soared. I told the wife we'll finish these couple shirts as long as we keep a close eye on temps before we press them. Might have to turn it off and let it cool, etc.

So we get everything done that we can and its midnight, so we shit everything down.

EVERYTHING!!!!

5:40 AM we woke to a screaming smoke alarm. A quick run through and we noticed it coming from the press. Wife quickly unplugged it. My first thought is we left it on all night. Negative. Switch was off. It somehow shorted inside and had the rubber pad so hot it was smoldering.

Moral of the story, if your press acts weird in any way, either stop and check it out if you feel comfortable doing so or have someone that knows look it over. We could've lost EVERYTHING.

I always unplug the press after use.

Sue2

So, our heat press started showing fluctuating temps. I didn't think a whole lot about it. I just figured the temp probe or wiring thereof was damaged. Wouldn't be a big deal if the temp was holding steady; and I can check it with my temp gun at every startup.

Then we noticed the vinyl on a couple shirts had a melted look. Took temp with gun; sure enough, temp had soared. I told the wife we'll finish these couple shirts as long as we keep a close eye on temps before we press them. Might have to turn it off and let it cool, etc.

So we get everything done that we can and its midnight, so we shit everything down.

EVERYTHING!!!!

5:40 AM we woke to a screaming smoke alarm. A quick run through and we noticed it coming from the press. Wife quickly unplugged it. My first thought is we left it on all night. Negative. Switch was off. It somehow shorted inside and had the rubber pad so hot it was smoldering.

Moral of the story, if your press acts weird in any way, either stop and check it out if you feel comfortable doing so or have someone that knows look it over. We could've lost EVERYTHING.

glad you are safe - big scare there

Thanks for the kind words.

It was just a cheapy to get us started. I actually didn't plan on using it as long as we did. I honestly didn't realize we'd had it since Aug '14. I'd say we got our $200 out of it! Lol

• Like 1

"So we get everything done that we can and its midnight, so we shit everything down."

Thats the problem right there!

"So we get everything done that we can and its midnight, so we shit everything down."

Thats the problem right there!

Well, that explains everything!!! Lol.

Good catch. Needless to say that was a long.... Errrr, short night. Depending on which side of you're talking about.

• Like 1