Dwild

Critique my logo.

You got along way to go, can`t even do the fonts correctly.

mark-s

I am very new to Illustrator so when you tell me I have done something wrong could you elaborate please?  It will help me to identify the issue and also fix it.

I got it figured out I needed to offset path of the type and then expand appearance then overlay my text thanks mark-s

That tree font like seems like trouble.  It certainly is wild looking.  But I am not sure it's visibility is great.  Also, it looks to be difficult weeding.  What the style is trying to say is somewhat subjective.  Some might get Wild, others might get Nature, still others Tacky.

Space around objects is sometimes good.  But the Wild Graphics looks lonely with all that space around it, kind of haphazard.

The "poor man's drop shadow," you are using with the text duplicated, behind and re-positioned slightly is an ok effect.  But it increases the number of colors you are going to need as you need another color to be a background to provide contrast.  There is probably another name than poor man's drop shadow, but it eludes me atm.

It is a good idea for logo's to be born in black and white.  Say your substrate is white paper.  The color of the paper is white and the graphic is black giving you black and white. Think of all the logo's out there that have a black and white version.  This makes sure it works in various situations.  Adding color can come later.  If the basic design is black and white, you can grow from there.

The stair step approach you have to vinyl, signs, shirts I think misses.  Better to just center I think.

Here is a b/w remake using the same fonts I think next to your original, and I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS AS A WORKING LOGO, or even a good one.  It is just to illustrate and have a conversation:

wild-%20graphics.png wild-org.png

I used CorelDraw to open the AI file.  It might not have done it justice.

Financial needs can press one to get all this under one's umbrella as quickly as one can.   I have been at this stuff for years and still feel so humble at all the work I see others produce.  Designing graphics is a deep field.  It is a meld of art, function, philosophy and there are giants that preceded everyone.  So it takes some time.  Give yourself that time or steal it from someplace.  I salute you as it is an adventure just begun.

The web is full of discussion on this topic.  Here is some food for such thought:  http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/04/when-typography-speaks-louder-than-words/

Check these guys out too:  http://www.bamagazine.com/Articles.asp?ID=172

• Like 1

That tree font like seems like trouble.  It certainly is wild looking.  But I am not sure it's visibility is great.  Also, it looks to be difficult weeding.  What the style is trying to say is somewhat subjective.  Some might get Wild, others might get Nature, still others Tacky.

Space around objects is sometimes good.  But the Wild Graphics looks lonely with all that space around it, kind of haphazard.

The "poor man's drop shadow," you are using with the text duplicated, behind and re-positioned slightly is an ok effect.  But it increases the number of colors you are going to need as you need another color to be a background to provide contrast.  There is probably another name than poor man's drop shadow, but it eludes me atm.

It is a good idea for logo's to be born in black and white.  Say your substrate is white paper.  The color of the paper is white and the graphic is black giving you black and white. Think of all the logo's out there that have a black and white version.  This makes sure it works in various situations.  Adding color can come later.  If the basic design is black and white, you can grow from there.

The stair step approach you have to vinyl, signs, shirts I think misses.  Better to just center I think.

Here is a b/w remake using the same fonts I think next to your original, and I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS AS A WORKING LOGO, or even a good one.  It is just to illustrate and have a conversation:

wild-%20graphics.png wild-org.png

I used CorelDraw to open the AI file.  It might not have done it justice.

Financial needs can press one to get all this under one's umbrella as quickly as one can.   I have been at this stuff for years and still feel so humble at all the work I see others produce.  Designing graphics is a deep field.  It is a meld of art, function, philosophy and there are giants that preceded everyone.  So it takes some time.  Give yourself that time or steal it from someplace.  I salute you as it is an adventure just begun.

The web is full of discussion on this topic.  Here is some food for such thought:  http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/04/when-typography-speaks-louder-than-words/

Check these guys out too:  http://www.bamagazine.com/Articles.asp?ID=172

Thank you very much for all the info!  I have time and over the probably 10 revisions I have done since I originally posted this I have learned quite a bit.  I have a rounded offset outline to change the shadow look also everything at the bottom is centered.  I will probably update with a final revision in the morning.  Also I am new to Adobe Illustrator so getting my idea from paper to the program is making me learn the basics of the program.

This looks appealing to me.  Also I fixed the font issues and now this is cutter ready all the outlines are perfect and everything seems to fit together.  I am blinded by the fact that this is my own car magnet for my business so I cannot tell if it looks good or not.  Sounds weird but when doing personal stuff sometimes you just need a second opinion.  Feel free to make revisions or a totally new concept to maybe open my eyes?

Thanks again!

Wild Decals Sample Final.ai

Unless the background is going to be a different color, I'd get rid of the text and center box outlines.  Doesn't make much sense to me to have a thick black outline for objects on a black background.

I'd also suggest adjusting your vertical spacing so you have the same amount of empty space between your phone number and the center box as you do between the bottom text and the center box.

Just so others can quickly see, here is your ai as a png, (via CorelDraw):

wg.png!

Thanks David I need to make a habit of doing that!  Corel seems to distort the image quality?  Via the inconsistent borders along with the random white outlines?  It looks cleaner when I open it up in Ai.  

post-96046-0-58632100-1446882533_thumb.j

Unless the background is going to be a different color, I'd get rid of the text and center box outlines.  Doesn't make much sense to me to have a thick black outline for objects on a black background.

I'd also suggest adjusting your vertical spacing so you have the same amount of empty space between your phone number and the center box as you do between the bottom text and the center box.

It will be a 3 color design so the background will not match the black borders.  I feel as if the borders give it depth.  Also it will be a magnet for my vehicle so the price of the 3 color design wont hurt as much due to a maximum amount of 2 magnets.

It will be a 3 color design so the background will not match the black borders.  I feel as if the borders give it depth.  Also it will be a magnet for my vehicle so the price of the 3 color design wont hurt as much due to a maximum amount of 2 magnets.

In that case, keeping the outlines definitely makes sense.

• Like 1

I would look into how small you can make that wild graphics font.   

Say a customer would like you to put your logo on what ever you're making for him.  For example I just had a customer want me to put my logo on a mechanic's shirt sleeve I made for him. My logo was only 1"x.5" but with that font you're never going to get it small enough to do that. 

You could pick another font but now you've weakened your logo/brand because you're having to change it to fit different situations.   

Nit pick ---  the lower case "i" letters need dots.  And the ascender on the "h" is too short.

There is no such product as "Vinyl Signs Shirts"  ---  each item is independent of the other two, so you should insert bullet points to designate them as different things.

*Signs *Shirts *Decals

" Come on Guys, let up and help this fellow "

The only reason a sign maker does his or her best design is to impress or 
satisfy another sign or graphic designer.
The average joe wouldn't know a good sign if it jumped up and bit him on the 
backside.

The advent of computers has ruined the sign industry ( just my view point ) 
a good sign writer or sign painters work had his personality, style and free 
flow that only a human can do..
through the years I could tell who painted a sign by his unique style, brush 
strokes and composition, not saying they were all good designs or good 
workmanship.. 
which brings me back to the point, the customers usually do 
not know a good sign if you showed him one.

We all learn by mistakes and hopefully we will not repeat it again..
I also recommend you develop your own style and not try to duplicate 
or copy someone else's designs, hang in there learn by watching but be 
yourself....

'the signmaker'
  • Like 5

No one can be harder on you than yourself.

Ain't that the truth!  I am going to ditch the Tree Font due to the issues and complications I will run into while using it.  I may shoot for doing a rounded emblem with the name inside for the logo due to round patches look nice on vehicles, shirt sleeves, etc.  I will definitely rework this.  Thanks for all the input guys it means a lot to have a community that can have a conversation over something without the flame throwers coming out!

• Like 1

Give Google a whirl... 
Search "Wild Logos" or the like to see what others have

done with that name/concept..... it could give you some

different ideas on fonts or designs.

Sue2

• Like 1

As long as you don't make 5000 business cards you can at least change it as your skill level comes up. 

• Like 1

This shall be my final revision.  Thanks for all the help!  I skipped uploading the Ai because at this point I am sure everyone's sick of seeing my eye sore work lol. So here's a jpeg instead!post-96046-0-72386800-1446958882_thumb.j

• Like 1

The lower case "i"'s should be dotted consistently.

You have no dots at all in the text Signs|Decals|Shirts  then you added two DIFFERENT dots over the letters 'i" within the Wild Graphics text.

While you're at it, extend the ascender of the "h" in Graphics (and Shirts) so it rises up a bit more. Right now, it's too similar to an "n"

Here's a sign maker named WildGraphix.

http://www.wildgraphix.com/

I agree with Slice...the "i"s need to be consistent...

if you add the "dot" it should be with a dot that matches the font...

not just a simple square/rectangle.

Also, on screen the blue and the black have very little contrast.

This makes your running horse look like a blob from a distance.

Maybe it's just my monitor settings though...only you can see it

in person.

That is also something I always try & check......

I  make a close to life size color print on paper and place it

20-30 foot away to check if everything is readable from roadside

or wherever it will be placed.

Sue2

• Like 1