Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

rub and buff

Hey, not that kind of topic!   :P

Has anyone tried it out on stainless steel?  More specifically a Yeti tumbler?  (these things are popular.... gotta find out how to tap into the market!)

I have seen a few custom tumblers that have been powder coated then etched.  They look bad ass.... I just don't have a friend that powder coats.  So, I was wondering, what if I did it the opposite....color the etch.

Any input is appreciated,  thought I would ask before I went and jacked up a 40 cup!

I tried it on the back of an aluminum cookie sheet of my wife's and it has stayed ever since, including many trips through the oven. I would be surprised if it DOESN'T work. The only color I have is old fashioned gold. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Goose!  I am thinking about trying it on something else first (if I can find something) before I take a chance on the Yeti.  I also found out I know a guy who works at a place that does powder coating.... now I just gotta see if we can work something out!

Go to the dollar store or an outlet type place that will have some cheap stainless stuff and find a test object. 

• Like 1

I bought a tube of the rub n buff, but I have yet to use it.

So if this stuff will last through an oven...it will last through a dish washer right?

good to know. I have been applying monograms to the Yeti's but noone is brave enough to etch one yet. They don't want to try it on the expensive cup. I have seen them etched but i agree, coloring of some sort would bring it out. 

Turns out the rub and buff has a learning curve.....  I found some stainless steel coffee cups at the dollar store for, well, a dollar and have been playing with them.  I really wanted to do this logo in 2 color but I think the only way to do it is going to be way to time consuming to make it worth it.

I have no issue on etching the Yeti as I have done them in the past.  It was the color making me nervous and after a few practices I am still not ready.  

My experience with Rub n Buff.  

As an experiment I etched two glasses for my SIL.  Used black on one and red on the other.  I asked her to put them through the dishwasher every time she used it.  After a month of daily washings, and sometimes twice a day the colors were almost gone.

FWIW,

Cal

• Like 1

Rub and buff is a wax so it will heat up and get removed. The only thing I can think of is actual glass paint, or ink if they sell it.