jskwarek

Confused on different MH Cutter options

I'm looking at picking up an entry level 53" USCutter MH. I'm so confused when it comes to the USCutter price structure. I look on their website and they list at one price, look on Amazon and get another price, Ebay is best price by far but a third price. Are these all the same? Does USCutter offer only ne 53" MH Series cutter?

http://www.amazon.com/USCutter-Vinyl-Cutter-Plotter-Stand/dp/B000XJXIM0/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1442268425&sr=1-4&keywords=uscutter+mh-series#customerReviews

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-53-USCutter-MH-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Plotter-Machine-SCAL-Pro-Software-/310720042454?hash=item48585b95d6

Jason

PS - I also keep seeing that this cutter is NOT Mac compatible but then users stating they have no problems running this printer from a Mac. Can any Mac guys confirm this cutter will work with a Mac?

If you have a mac I would pass on this cutter as well as the MH is known to have the most problems of all the budget models. The sales prices can vary from the site and ebay etc... Most times the difference might be a stand or warranty etc... 

• Like 1

First off, what is your reason to want a 53" cutter?...It is overkill. It also has very limited memory and max cutting length 8ft. I have been cutting for years and have never needed over 30"   Most anything can be tiled, from a 24" or 30" cutter.  Secondly, It is not a printer, It is a vinyl cutter.  and it is not Mac compatible. Also not Windows 10 compatible.   And our advice on this forum is to step up to at least the SC...or a Laserpointer11 or higher if you can afford it.  And like Wildgoose said,  different options, different prices.  Some shipping FREE  some higher.

• Like 2

wait till you try to weed, apply mask tape and then apply the graphic on a 50" wide graphic - especially starting out.  I had one and downsized as almost every design I do can be done in manageable elements of smaller size like everyone else says

• Like 1

I had that cutter, and couldn't cut two lines of text 48 inches wide x  15  inches tall without locking up- ( had keyspan, using RS232,  cleared memory, etc.)

Tracking for a large image may not be good for a large MH.

Thanks guys. So MH series is out. Looked like the SC was the same as the MH series with the addition of some manual contouring options.

The reason I was looking at the 53" is one specfic graphic I would like to print is about 35" x 35", guess I could rotate a little to get to work on the 30" cutter.

I'm looking for a cutter for personal use to do graphics for my racecar, truck and projects for friends. If I enjoy it, then I will step up and commit to a better machine like a Roland or such...

So, with that being said, looking at Oracal materials for vehicle application. First project will be to replace these graphics with similar graphics, just different colors in a better material than what's on there, now. Being that it's just solid color application, didn't think I needed a contour option.

In y'alls opinion, will the SC be able to track correctly to do this type of graphic as well as other similar smaller sponser type graphics

21396872226_2d66404ac3_b.jpg

The SC is made by Liyu,  The MH by Refine....SC is a more solid cutter..from what I have read.  but also very loud.  They both have a stepper motor. .and many members on here do great work with the SC..  Each of those decals can be cut separately and then applied..

Lose the word "PRINT"   it does not print , it cuts. 

• Like 1

Sorry... :wacko:  Print is a term I use often. You're correct, it's cut...

So I'm looking at the SC, now. Should I bite the bullet and skip to the LPII, or am I just buying options I won't use? Is the GCC Expert a better model? I was looking at that one as well but feel that I need at least 30"

I do plan to use Oracal 751 or better. That's the problem with the current crap vinyl I have on the car. It's not 6 months old and stays garaged and already starting to see cracking and shrinking.

If this is all new to you, you have to realize the learning curve is a mountain the size of Olympus Mons.  You have the vector graphics end.  You have the cutting software end.  You have the cutter itself with blade height, tracking, serial drivers.   You have wedding and masking.  Then you have the application.  All non-trivial.

All this might not be a problem for you, but I think many people find it is not something they can order, receive, assembly, connect, design, weed, mask, apply in a day or two.  Weeks is more likely, starting doing small jobs and working up.  

The best way to conquer this particular mountain would be to find someone doing cutter work on vehicles and convince them to let you watch for a few days.  Nothing makes you want to punch a hole in a wall like a failed cut job, eating material, or a failed application that you have to do over from scratch.

I hope I have not sounded like I am trying to disparaged you, I just have been through it and not with eyes wide open.  If it is not new to you, I hope you kick its ass.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm not worried about the creative, weeding, Vector side. I've got a friend that owns his own sign business and Im somewhat familiar with the process. I'm just one of those guys that likes new things and figured instead of paying someone else to do work for my vehicle graphics, I could kill two birds with one stone. I could take care of my vehicle graphic needs as well as use the creative~geeky side of my brain.

Hence the want to not get into something like a Roland machine. I've pretty much learned the MH isn't what I want to go with. SC is really the start of the entry level.

From there, do I spend a little more to get the LPII? I've set a sort of mental price point of under $1k for cuttter, and supplies. I will be using good Oracal vinyl and supplies, so I figure that puts me less than $800 for a cutter. I'd like to be at no less than a 30" width due to the size of one particular product I'd like to recut.

Doesn't one have contour cutting and the other not?  Contour cutting has valuable applications.  I am reluctant to say much as I have not tried either one of those cutters, but contour cutting is something you at some point will wish you had if you get one that doesn't.

The LPII does do contour, although it's a bit of a manual process to setup.

In the sub $1K market, what else is out there? Looking on my local Craigslist, there's not much in the used market.

I'm in a suburb of Dallas, TX. I'd like to be all in under $1K, I figure I'll be in for at least 200 in startup materials for my immediate need. That being said $800 or less for plotter.

I did see that one but hadn't heard of Gerber and was concerned with age and how much wear it has. I'll shoot them an e-mail