a91eagletalon

My Work So Far More To Come

There are a few die-hards who get upset when I bash the GS vinyl but you will have a longer lasting product with Oracal. The 651 calendared is a pretty good product but the 751 or 951 premium cast are sensational. They cut and weed really nice and will not shrink because of the process used in making cast vinyl. The cost of vinyl is such a small part of the whole price of most work that the extra is pretty easy to build in to your price. I like to use 751 for window decals and you might be surprised at how much easier it is too weed. 

The GS vinyl is super thick and actually has some great applications too but the adhesion is sub-par for detailed work like your images and I have had some shrink up like you can't believe on some mid sized text on a couple property for sale 4'x 8's that I did. I quit using it for all but a few certain things. I will sometimes use it to cover an entire signboard when I need to change the background color on a non permanent sign. It is thick enough that you can actually install it with a Big Squeegee without app tape and it seems to stay put pretty good for those applications. I have used it on several banners without incident but they were nice big lettering and graphics.  Also works great for shelf liner inside cabinets, and I say that sort of tongue in cheek but I really used some about 3 years ago and it's till there taking a beating every day in some very old cabinets in my house and I have actually been impressed with it's toughness. 

• Like 4

i ordered some Avery 700 shortly after I recieved my cutter assuming there was better out there.Its better than the GS butI wasnt overly impressed.My last order was 3M and really liking it so far!!

I have recently switched over to 651.  every thing new I buy I buy at least 651 now and yes it is way easer to weed

I was surprised how much different the two products are. I don't put GR on car windows any more.  

Thanks for the good info

• Like 1

That leap from GS to 651 is about the same leap from 651 to 751. It is a lot softer and cuts with less pressure. 

A picture is worth a thousand words. 

Without a full explanation I don't have enough info to defend the vinyl in

your pic but do want to point out the fact that the red paint was evidently not

properly adhered to the surface (or perhaps the wrong type product, or both)

as indicated by it's presence on the back of the rolled up vinyl.

Just saying that the vinyl may have stayed in place better had the red paint held on.

Yep red GS in just a couple years. Not selling that to anyone I want as a long term customer. To be fair this has sat facing the afternoon sun but I see 651 handle that every day and never give up like that stuff. 

• Like 1

Basic rule you get what you pay for applies most of the time. Unless your paying $1500 for a designer purse made in China for $50

I had a failure on a car in 24 hours. Used the rest for packing tape however to be fair I know some people that I respect that swear by Greenstar. I do use their app tape in the store now because of the price but on RTA I use 4076RLA.

• Like 1

I have been able to find enough uses that i keep some around in large part because if the price. Most of the things I do are more in the extremely short duration or have been test runs with mixed success. I really like it for basic blast resist. It is tough enough to take a beating and comes back off easier than the higher priced vinyl. I did some on a banner that has held up ok even with a lot of rolling and unrolling so maybe that substrate is more forgiving than an aluminum sign blank. 

I had a failure on a car in 24 hours. Used the rest for packing tape however to be fair I know some people that I respect that swear by Greenstar. I do use their app tape in the store now because of the price but on RTA I use 4076RLA.

Its true Jay like using his vinyl as packaging tape, got many things from him and everytime I think man this is a smart way to use scrap vinyl.