Sign in to follow this  
a91eagletalon

Best WAy to Ground My Cutter

HI everyone I have tried a few different ways to ground my cutter but I keep having trouble. I am using a MH721 can you share with me the way you ground your cutter that work good for you like what screws you grounded to or where you but the ground cable or any other techniques you used to get around the static electricity problem  thanks for the help guys

Please share pics if you have them

Thanks

MJP

USCutter has a video that covers setting up your MH cutter.   At 5:54 it walks you through attaching the grounding wire. 

As long as you are connecting the grounding wire to metal on the cutter and the stand, you can't go wrong.  That's all there is to it.

You can use a Multimeter Continuity Test to check your ground wire connection. If you are not getting a connection you can test different screws. I had to remove a little paint from my stand to get a good connection.

If you are using a USB connection you may want to use a Keyspan adapter. If you have an older computer with a serial port you could try using it instead. A serial connection should greatly improve your results.

problems I am having are after cutting for about 3 mins or so it will just go crazy and head straight to the left for no reason with the cutter down the whole time and it happens at random times but if I keep wiping the vinyl with my hand every 3 mins or so to keep the static build up off it seams to be good witch makes me think its static but who knows.

and some times when it goes crazy and heads left it will come back to where it started going crazy from   and instead of cutting the logo I was cutting horizontal it starts cutting it vertical I have know idea why that is

I have the wire hooked up just like it says I even scraped the paint off where I put the wire.

yes I am using a USB wire

Serial connection is always the best. and you will see it listed on here a zillion times....If you have a value cutter put it on a serial cable or a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter,  that is the brand name.. The value cutters do not have TRUE USB,like the higher end cutters.    The other cables Serial and Tripplite Keyspan Adapter control the flow of data to your cutter much more better than just a cheap Chinese Chipset.

It could also be memory,  The MH are very limited on memory, So will not accept large amounts of data.

Here is a good test for static,,   Set your design up like you would run it. and cut it, but first.   Either raise the blade holder or just take it out of the machine,so it does not touch the vinyl.  If it runs fine then,  most likely it is static.  If the same problem,,,carriage crashing etc.  Then it could be the data flow. And the Tripplite Keyspan Adapter will help take care of that.

• Like 3

thanks for all the good info I will try those and hope it works thanks again.

Your welcome,,,, The hope the tests point you in a good direction....

With the MH most agree the best way to ground it is to use both hands high above the head and use plenty of follow through while forcefully grounding it on a hard surface. Ha ha! I'm just messing with you. You did buy the very lowest of the budget machines so some of these issues come with the territory but many have been able to get and keep them running once they figure out the idiosyncrasies associated with the individual models. 

As some actual help, if it turns out that you are in fact having static issues I once had a budget cutter too and found that using anti-static cling spray from an aerosol can like ladies use on their skirts worked fantastic. I would hose down the area around and behind the cutter prior to large cut jobs and it made all the difference. 

• Like 1

Im still using my mh365 for cutting at shows, 5 years now. My Graphtec doesn't leave my house.

• Like 1

yea I realize I bought a budget cutter BUT you have to start some where.  

Our suggestion after being on here so long,, is at least start with the SC cutter.  NOT the MH,  You will see that all over the forum.

yea I realize I bought a budget cutter BUT you have to start some where.  

It's alright, you have it now so make the best of it. I realize it's tough to know better until you have gotten in up to your neck. At least it's not a huge investment. With some practice you can earn that back in short order. The one good thing about low end cutters are they MAKE you become proficient. You will learn more from that clunker than you would from a high end machine and it will eventually be worth the trouble. That's the silver lining part of the cloud. 

• Like 2

I started with a budget cutter like yourself Ihad no issues of it running on USB or static. I just upgraded due to I wanted a better cutter, and something that could cut tiny and detailed images.

• Like 1

As some actual help, if it turns out that you are in fact having static issues I once had a budget cutter too and found that using anti-static cling spray from an aerosol can like ladies use on their skirts worked fantastic. I would hose down the area around and behind the cutter prior to large cut jobs and it made all the difference. 

Goose this is actually a great tip for those who are experiencing that issue. I never had it but wow I would have never thought about that.stuff.

• Like 1

Well everyone I believe I have tamed the beast and got it working really good now   thanks to all your help

So its working great now and I believe I found my main problem witch was I would only seam to have the problem if I left illustrator running in the background . as long as illustrator was not open when I was in sure cuts a lot pro cutting stuff it would not have any problems but when it was open in the back round when i was using sure cuts alot it seamed to cause my problem. so ya I don't know why. but I got my project done I uploaded for ya to see. So even thought my mh is a budget cutter I still think I can make it do some nice work. I hope to upgrade here down the road some time but for now I will tame the MH to do what I need it to do

Thanks Again for all your help in this I hope it keeps running good for me.

post-93976-0-22230000-1441567627_thumb.j

post-93976-0-52759600-1441567628_thumb.j