Sign in to follow this  
kswqte

Arlon 5000 & Green Star

Have been using the Green Star that came with my machine - been working great.  I needed White & Black so I ordered Arlon 5000 because I was told it was a better vinyl.  Was going to use Oracal 651 but no local dealer so thought I would try the Arlon.

Without thinking about it I just cut some decals and it didn't come out well at all.  Horrible to weed.  I have adjusted the blade to cut a bit deeper - messed with the Speed and Pressure but it is not making smooth sharp corners - looks like tiny raised dots or something.  Suggestions?

a salesman will always sell you what HE has to sell - not necessarily what is best for you

I bought the Arlon because of reviews on here?  Said it ranked up there with the Oracal.

Ok gang - who on here prefers oracal products

me

I must have missed all the discussions about people liking arlon better

If the Greenstar works for you stick with it. It's pretty much all I use anymore

I have never seen a discussion about Arlon vinyl on here. 

Here is how to set your blade correctly...

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

I have done that - I think the blade depth is OK - now my issue is those dang little dots (only way to explain it).  My font (ZERKER) has very sharp corners and it is leaving a little dot in each corner.  I have adjusted the Pressure as low as 110 and as high as 150.  Using the 60 degree blade. 

Make sure you didn't break a tip. 

A lot of people (Myself included) knock the GS vinyl but IMO it actually cuts pretty good. Some have trouble but I never have (with the cutting). I have never tried Arlon 5000 that I remember but I have tried several others including what my local guys sell here and find almost nothing that I like as well as Oracal (now Orafol) The 651 us a great intermediate calendared and the 751/951 are fantastic for higher end work. I have a roll of Scotcal (3m/gerber Series 50 calendared) that i bought locally and I hate it and try to use it up every chance I get that is something without small lettering because it weeds about like sucking pond water through a straw. 

• Like 1

like little dovetails?     Try a little over cut in your cutting software.  Also make a small square,, and make sure the corners are sharp...If not adjust the blade offset a little.  0.25mm is about normal... then adjust at 0.05+ or minus 0.05 and see if better or worse...

• Like 2