dustinhilton

Newbie seeking some help on getting started

Hello everyone ive recently made my mind up that i want to start making signs and decals.. mostly decals anyways i have searched and searched and i know this has been asked a million time but please dont shoot me for asking it once more. What is a good cutter for a reasonable price my preferred price range is $300-$700 solely for the cutter just to get started. Ive been looking at a gcc xpert II 24" which is priced reasonably in my opinion at $500 i know i can spend a small fortune on a cutter but right now my money wont allow me to spend thounds of dollars just willy nilly. I was hoping to work myself up from something small and up to bigger and better things. I would prefer a name brand cutter so parts and sich would be easy to find of and when i would have to find them. Iv read somewhere that Gvv xpert was a good cutter but i only saw it a couple times and havent seen gcc mentioned on anything iv read today. Any and all help is greatly appreciated in advanced

Hi there Dustin,

If i were you I'd take a strong look at the following refurb Pcut UScutter has on sale for $250 right now. Its got a 1 year warranty, but needs to have a stand / roll holder built for it. The Pcut has a long history of being a fairly good midrange machine and uscutter provides relatively good support for such little $$.

The GCC isnt a whole hell of a lot better IMO.  After you know this is what you want to do and are comfortable, pick up a Graphtec when the time comes :P

http://www.uscutter.com/Refurbished-Creation-PCUT-Cutter-Plotter

Yep,

I knew what you were getting at as you can see in my reply. The GCC experts roughly the same quality as the PCut. They are both mid-range stepper cutters. Both can provide good detail and should prove to be reliable enough.

If you can afford a new/secondhand graphtec 24" CE5000 or CE6000 or a roland 24", they are far superior machines at a higher cost than you are willing to spend. That's why I said start with a simple machine and save up for when you can stomach dropping $1200~ on a good quality machine. (I always recommend Graphtec as they are reliable and have an extremely high resale value)

Alright thanks a load i looked at the uscutter but wasnt sure on it either i know more about brain surgery than i do vinyl cutting and i know practically nothing about brain sugery. I wasnt sure on which way to go i do know i want a graphtec in the future but i want to work my way up to it and make sure this is something i want to do for sure before dropping some major money on a machine

I just looked at the link you posted and i think thats what im goin to go with its a little cheaper than the gcc i priced which will allow me to get some supplies to tinker with too

But that one in the link is a decent cutter you said?

Ive seen 2 gcc experts in the last month die of what appears to be motherboard failure. Neither made it to the 2 year mark.

I don't know what your location is but there is an older Summa D60 in my area for $500 right now. That's a Servo machine built to last a century. 

I just looked at the link you posted and i think thats what im goin to go with its a little cheaper than the gcc i priced which will allow me to get some supplies to tinker with too

But that one in the link is a decent cutter you said?

The one in the link is a decent cutter. It's an older model, but is a lot of the same components as the laser point. I think it has more metal as opposed to plastic. I was contemplating getting it when I first started out and had done the research back then.

The Summa Goose is talking about is a real beast of a machine that is worth considering if you are in his geographical area.

I think that is a basket only no stand.

Donn

Your right,,, They used to have the stands and basket.  I will delete it.

Good luck and have fun with it Dustin! Welcome to the madness.

Those who have failed before you are always willing to help and are at the ready  ^_^

I ordered some oracal 651 but my question is whats a good application tape? I bought some perfectear 575 medium tack transfer paper i wasnt sure exactly what to get so i kinda just winged it on this any help is much appreciated

Transfer tape (or Apptape) varies, there are individual preferences for one vs. another -- and you'll just have to see what works for you.

Get a good apptape dispenser. That's key.

Ok another question i feel like a complete idiot now. But the cutter did not come with a stand so i was goin to just use it on the table until i get the money held back to buy one. Is this going to hinder me or keep me from using my highly anticipated new toy

No, But its going to make it a real pain to do anything on a larger scale......You are going to have to figure out a way to feed the vinyl into the machine for starters.....