Sign in to follow this  
Topper

Need Some Application Advice.

Hey guys, so I will be doing my first, what I call bigger car installation. I Normally just do smaller things using a dry method with pretty good results. Here is a quick mock up I made of what the customer would like (see picture).

My question is, would you do this install wet or dry? Install entire decal at one time, or lay it down, tape with a hinge along the top then cut it so you can lay one or two letters at a time? I'm not sure, I'm just trying to do a good bubble free job.

I think the little bumper side thing along the car might give me a little trouble, but I think I can hit it with the heat gun and get it to fit nicely in the creases correct?

Thanks for any helpful information or tips and tricks on completing this job successfully.

post-1946-0-44063300-1427353110_thumb.pn

Use 951 and install wet. Bigger applications require more attention and as Go-C mentioned I would suggest using heat to help get the decal around the "detail" of the car. Hinge the large decal in the middle for a bit easier installation and post heat the vinyl to release as much water or solution out so that you don't run into issues of it not sticking and peeling back up with tape. 

Well, shoot a little to late. I only have 651 and the customer needed it done, so here is the first side so far. I ended up doing it wet and just cut the vinyl at the crease of that door ding bumper thing. and laid it in there. I think it turned out okay for a first time job.

post-1946-0-19055100-1427410132_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Can't say I get that font choice with grocery delivery... otherwise, congrats.

I have never done wet install i should try it sometime!

like on these big box trucks i have to do soon!

Looks great. I usually cut it at the moulding to prevent lifting

Agree, that font is fugly! But send some of that sunshine to the Chicago area, otherwise a good yob, man.

Yeah, have to use the font the customer tells you to lol. It looks a little better in person though I'll admit. Mfatty500, it was like 75* here today, kind of rare for this early in spring. It was pouring rain yesterday. But hey that's Oregon for you. I think I burnt my arms, neck and ears. That will teach me to go outside, lol. Come mow my lawn...

Thanks for the comments everyone.