gcextreme

New Jobs...

Ok i am literally starting a new job in 2 weeks (Feb 2nd), I will be leaving my job that i have had for 6.5 years, and going to a new place with better pay, commission benefits, and way less stress.

At my current job, which is 3 blocks away from my house, i have good health/medical/dental for the wife and I, at the new place, they don't currently offer group insurance benefits, but will later on in the future. They will be paying me $2 more an hour to start, then another $2 more after 90days of training. And they are willing to give me an additional $300 a month to help with medical insurance stuff.

I will be the head guy in the shop, in charge of 2 other guys (both part time). 

I will be working on and servicing equipment, managing the shop and parts room, going on service calls, and doing some sales of parts and equipment (that is where i can earn up to $3,000 a month in commission).

Now here's the kicker and how it affects my home based vinyl business.

I will be able to ship via UPS/FED from the shop, just not USPS.

I won't be able to get stuff shipped by USPS until Saturdays from my local post office.

My shop hours will be from 7am-5 or 6 pm, so i will still have time to come home and do projects and do stuff on the weekends.

This new job is 15 miles away, so no more walking to work or riding my 4wheeler or bicycle. 

I may be given a company service truck to drive to/from work and service calls too.

Another good point is, when the company trucks need new vinyls, the owner will buy from me, and let me install them in the shop.

I have been at my current job for 6.5yrs there's no room for advancement or growth, or ways to earn more money (other than overtime), and my boss there pretty much has me in a corner and won't listen to my ideas or let me grow, so its time to get with a company that will let me grow and listen to my ideas.

So back to the real reason i'm posting this.

With my availability to ship USPS, which is how i currently ship all my stuff, being changed, what's the best way? FedEx and UPS won't ship to Po Boxes, so i have to use USPS for all PoBox Orders.

My local Post Office is only open 730-1130 Mon-Fri, and 9am-10am on Saturdays. So i have a short window on Saturdays to mail stuff then. 

Should i just tell all my customers that items ship on Saturdays and not M-F?

Any ideas here would be great.

Thanks

First congrats on the new job. Why don't you just put outgoing usps in the mailbox for shipment. I got the biggest mailbox I could for that and if too much my carrier picks up in the garage

First congrats on the new job. Why don't you just put outgoing usps in the mailbox for shipment. I got the biggest mailbox I could for that and if too much my carrier picks up in the garage

At my home i dont have a mailbox, there is no pickup, the post office is 3 blocks away. They wont let me have a mailbox

USPS won't pick up at your shop?

The new shop... i don't know...will find out.

But the other issue is, when i package something, most of my stuff are in large document mailers, how do i know how much they weigh and the amount of postage needed?? 

Currently i take stuff to the post office, the lady weighs it, tells me how much it costs, i also need to get tracking numbers for confirmation, and then i pay her.

Congrats!

Post Office has prepaid flat rate shipping boxes & envelopes.

That could work for you....you just load & drop off.

Sue2

I use a digital scale I bought at Walmart that I use for all my smaller stuff. Works great and congrats on the new job.

• Like 1

Congrats!

Post Office has prepaid flat rate shipping boxes & envelopes.

That could work for you....you just load & drop off.

Sue2

That could work some... but i like to have tracking numbers, i h ave had too many people email me back saying they never got their package, so now i try to get tracking numbers on everything so i can verify it was delivered.

I use a digital scale I bought at Walmart that I use for all my smaller stuff. Works great and congrats on the new job.

Thanks. 

So when you weigh something, how do u know the price scale? where do u get that info?

See right now, when i go to work at 630am, on my 930 15 min break i run over to the post office to mail stuff. But at the new place i wont have that luxury. unless i can get stuff weighed and postage for it to be picked up.

I have a scale and use Priority mail to ship. You get delivery confirmation free when you use Priority. I pay for postage online and print labels. All I need to do is drop it in the box at the post office. Many here are available 24 hours a day. No lines to wait in either.

• Like 1

Most of it I print through usps.com. but you may want to look into a postage system. Maybe something like Pitney Bowes or stamps.com something along those lines.

...It claims you get tracking.....maybe I'm reading it wrong but check with your local Post Office

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm

Features

• Free Package Pickup3 service at your home or office
  • Includes USPS Tracking™ when you ship online and at retail4
  • Delivery in 1 to 3 business days.
  • Includes insurance5 with most shipments6 (restrictions apply)
  • No surcharges for fuel or residential, rural, and regular Saturday7 delivery
  • Flat Rate, regional, and prepaid pricing (retail only) available
  • Like 1

Ok cool. so for those of you that print, do they give you the print paper/labels, or what do u use?

1. Get computer (probably you already have).

2. Printer (probably already have)

3. Labels to print shipping labels (eBay, cheap)

4. Spend $16 a month on stamps.com or Endicia.com to be able print labels online (also online rates are cheaper than retail-over-the-counter)

If you printing only priority mail you can print them on USPS.com without paying $16 a month

That way you only need to drop off packages. We normally do it and do not stand in line or anything like that.

So if you passing any mailbox or post office on your job it will take only a minute to drop packages off and be on your way.

1. Get computer (probably you already have).
2. Printer (probably already have)
3. Labels to print shipping labels (eBay, cheap)

4. Spend $16 a month on stamps.com or Endicia.com to be able print labels online (also online rates are cheaper than retail-over-the-counter)
If you printing only priority mail you can print them on USPS.com without paying $16 a month

That way you only need to drop off packages. We normally do it and do not stand in line or anything like that.

So if you passing any mailbox or post office on your job it will take only a minute to drop packages off and be on your way.

What is covered in Priority mail? is that mail and packages (boxes)?

What is covered in Priority mail? is that mail and packages (boxes)?

Not sure i understand.

Priority mail gives you

1. Free Insurance against damage or package lost up to $50. 

But keep in mind, tracking says delivered and customer says it was not delivered (meaning mailman put the package into neighbors mailbox) insurance does not pay.

2. Free boxes. Look into Rate A boxes and Rate B boxes.

We mostly use Rate A box since you paying only for 2 lbs and can shove in there 10 lbs :)

But you need to have stamps.com or endicia.com to print labels for them. Those boxes are not available over counter at the post office so you can no print label for them on USPS.com 

Only way to get Rate A (B,C) boxes is to order them from USPS.com online. They still free but you need to order them.

3. Priority mail is very fast (Air mail). Takes 2-3 days even if you shipping to Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands.

The only negative is that they charging you for at least a pound. So the minimal price you going to pay is $5.05.

If you ship a lot of small 1-14 oz packages you better of using First Class mail.

You could always tell customers that you usually ship on Saturdays to save on

time & postage....BUT if they HAVE TO HAVE their order sooner you can send

UPS, FED-EX or Priority mail for a little extra.........

Sue2

Yep true. 

Also since day one i have always just used a sharpie marker to write the customers name/mailing address on. It would be nice to print a nice clean label to put on there, but is it cost effective? I mean labels + ink + time to make/print, rather then a few seconds with a cheap sharpie...lol.

It would be nice to print a nice clean label to put on there, but is it cost effective? I mean labels + ink + time to make/print, rather then a few seconds with a cheap sharpie...lol.

It's cost effective.

Here is breakdown.

1. You get discount when print label online.

2. You get tracking # and it's in a computer. So you can always find it. It helps with all dispute/problems or simply customer's service. When 3 days later they want to know if you ship package or not.

3. you do not stand in line at the post office. Time is money. And actually more than money cause i do not know how to earn time if i need it.

From my experience it matters how you present yourself and your business.

If you play it small and write mailing addresses with a sharpie you will be doing it for all your life.

Once you show yourself out there as big reputable company you will have a chance to become one (even if you one guy operation now).

• Like 1