Sign in to follow this  
racert25

Which heat press to get to start?

I am looking to get a heat press with my new Graphtec ce-6000-60. I see Us cutter is offering the 9" x 12" with the cutter. I am not sure if a 9 x 12 is big enough or if this press is good for what i want to do. Right now i will be doing small shirt orders with sweatshirts as well. I also am setting up to do rhinestone shirts. I dont want to spend a crazy amount on a heat press since i wont use it much but would like to know which one you recommend. 

If you only have one you should get at least a 15"x 15". The small one would be handy from time to time but it's be a problem more times than not. 

You'd be better off with the freebee that is coming with your cutter than spending $$$ on an all-in-one. I have never heard great things about them. You can still function with the smaller 9x12 it's just harder to keep aligned. Most of your larger graphics are going to be just about that size some taller. You can press twice if you have to and scoot the shirt down. If you are unsure then start with the small one and once you get rolling you can make a more informed opinion. I started with the 15" swing-out that is about $350 range. It got the job done for several years and I finally upgraded. The biggest difference I see is build quality and good consistent heat platen although my swing did ok with the heat but the digital readout was way off. I just wore mine out and it started creaking and making popping sounds when I clamped it down which I couldn't locate but have a feeling it's going to come apart soon. It's not my back-up in case something unforeseen happens with my high dollar upgrade. (Fusion which I totally love btw) 

• Like 1

Okay. I was thinking the same thing. I am trying to stay very limited budget to get this rolling then if i get more customers and see it taking off i will buy a good press. is this one any good or would it break and frustrate me? http://www.uscutter.com/11in-x-15in-5-in-1-Heat-Press

The 5-in-1 comes with two plate pucks, so unless you're doing sublimation and planning to do plates, you'll never use those.  Most people that are serious about doing mugs don't use a mug press, they use a heat wrap in a standard oven for better results, and unless you're doing sublimation,  you won't use the mug press piece either.   That leaves you with a mediocre 11x15" press and a hat press attachment.

You're better off buying a better heat press and then adding a hat press when you have a need, or vice versa.  If you don't have a sublimation printer and you don't foresee getting one soon, then there isn't any point in spending money on accessories you won't need/use - spend that money on a better quality press instead.

• Like 3

If thats your budget then get the swing out on the next page for another $50. Lot's more potential and easier to work with IMO. The platen goes straight up and down and can handle thicker objects and you could potentially use it as a hover press for some types of screen printed transfers. I used the predecessor to this one for about 3-1/2 years and have been sold ever since on a swing away. Had an old clam that I used as a back-up and it was more work to try to lay things out in precise alignment under the platen.  Just be sure to get some high quality clear lube on the joints and wear points. In a way that won't transfer to your hands is a good idea too. both of those options are similar in quality. Not the absolute bottom of the barrel. Just check the actual platen temperature. 

you say now that you won't use it much.... you will be surprised on how much you will be relying on it when people find out what you can do and you will be kicking yourself for not getting the bigger one.  If your getting the package with the freebe.... take it.  I can get you by.  You will want a bigger better press in the near future.

For some reason, once people find out you do shirts, they are like flies on $#&!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I am going to get the package with the freebie and watch for a good press to go on sale. 

• Like 1

I think that's your best spent dollar to start anyway. Look for big name used presses on craigslist. Hix, Hotronix, Geo Knight, these are some of the big name brands that you ultimately want to try to end up with. If you see one for sale check out new pricing and try to get a good deal less than half. The high quality presses are a lot less risky used because they hold up so much better. I found a real old Hotronix Hot One hat press on ebay for $100. Good quality stuff still kicking after who knows how many years of service. It opens WAY up to get your hats in without a problem and does a great job. Doesn't have a digital thing on it (and could really use a timer) but it was a great buy and has paid me back about 15 times over (literally).